ga5941

Multiple OSs

Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:30 pm

I've installed NOOBS v1.4.0 Raspbian - wheezy on one 8GB SD card for my my PI 2. On another 8GB card I've installed RISC-OS.

It would be nice to have the option of selecting either Raspbian or RISC-OS at bootup without having to switch SD cards as I'm told the SD connections are not too robust and may not stand more than tens of changes before failure.

I'm confused about whether it's possible to install more than one OS on a 8GB SD card. What exactly is the procedure? Do I need to erase and re-format an SD card before starting?

ghans

Re: Multiple OSs

Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:34 pm

If you use NOOBS you have to decide which OSs you
want to use at any point in the future at the very first boot.

The "recovery mode" of NOOBs allows you to destroy everything
on your card (including documents , settings
and programs you wrote yourself) and start this selection
process anew.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

mzarna

Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:39 am

I have been struggling to create a dual-boot Raspian / Risc Os SD card. No trouble getting Raspian-only to work. But where do I put the (extracted) Risc Os distro files when creating the SD card? 3 different tries so far, none successful.

It sounds like you may have achieved this. Can you help?

mzarna

Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:35 pm

More details, if anyone can help I'd appreciate it.

Tried to create a dual boot SD card using an iMac OS X 10.8 and an 8Gb NOOBS card bought from a supplier. Steps taken:

1 download and unpack NOOBS full offline version, and Risc Os distro.
2 Put the Risc Os files in the os folder, in a folder called Risc Os (suprise, surprise).
3 Reformat the card with SDFormatter - full wipe.
4 Copy all the NOOBS files and subfolders into the root of the card (the whole lot was approx 2.5Gb)
5 Insert the card into the RPi - starts up as normal, but no option to install Risc Os (only Raspbian) :(

What am I doing wrong?

procount

Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:13 pm

@ga5941 - Start with a clean formatted SD card. Unzip NOOBS onto it. Connect your Pi to the internet via a wired connection. Boot Noobs and you will get a longer list of operating systems to install than just Raspbian. Now you can install Raspbian AND Risc-OS onto the same card, and you will get a boot selection manager each time you boot to switch between these.
Noobs only comes with Raspbian now (due to the size of the OSes), but the other distros can still be installed, they just need to be downloaded from the internet.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

procount

Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:17 pm

@mzarna - I suspect the RISC files you have downloaded and put in the OS folder are .img files that are meant to be written directly to the SD card and are not suitable for installation with NOOBS. The easiest way to proceed is to start again. Wipe your SD card, unzip NOOBS onto it. then pop it in your RPi, but before you boot it, connect an ethernet cable to it connected to your router. Then we you boot it you will get a long list of other OS's you can install, including RISC-OS. Select the ones you want and the additional OS's will be downloaded from the internet and installed.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

mzarna

Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:12 pm

Thanks, that's very helpful. When you say to unzip NOOBS onto the card, is that without Raspbian - ie NOOBS-lite?

procount

Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:22 pm

It doesn't matter.
Noobs-full = noobs-lite + raspbian OS.
If you unzip noobs-lite you MUST have your Pi connected to the internet to show any list of OS. Each one selected will be downloaded and installed to your SD card.
If you unzip Noobs-full, you can select and install Raspbian from the card, and others from the internet IF you have the Pi connected to your network.

Previously, ALL OS's were included in NOOBS-Full, but it became so large that there was no space left on a 4GB SD card to install any of them, so they took the decision to take them all off except Raspbian. It has always been possible to download OS's from the internet via NOOBS. In fact, NOOBs will check if the internet version is newer than the version stored on the card, and if it is, it will propose to download that one instead of installing the older version already on the SDcard.
The Right hand icon on each OS will tell you where the latest version will come from.

mzarna

Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:28 pm

Great. Your advice much appreciated.

Return to “Beginners”