suffolk tony

Where do files install?

Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:01 pm

Sorry, another fumbling beginner lacking a bit of fundamental understanding! I've got my RPi 2 model B up & running by getting a micro SD card with NOOBS preinstalled. Connected display, keyboard, HDMI display. Installed raspian OS, & set the various preferences. Got a nice windows-type display with a big red raspberry, shut it down, rebooted. No problem, all went well!

But I'm getting confused about how this all works and how you then install other things. Some of this confusion relates to what part the SD card plays, and the reference to "SD". So... the operating system resides where? on the micro SD card? Does this just stay put? I want to install the Squeezeplug/Max2Play software (so I can use the Pi to stream music from my NAS to my DAC via the Pi's USB port) & I've downloaded to my iMac and unzipped the file. So can I just copy this across to a full-size SD card? Will I then insert this into the Pi using an SD card reader? Will the SD card and reader then need to stay in place to run the software, or will it be downloaded to - where?

Sorry, I have tried to follow various "How to" tutorials but they never seem to explain this bit (well, all the ones I've seen)

All help will be gratefully received, in non-computery language please, and be gentle, I'm old and decrepit!

abishur

Re: Where do files install?

Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:11 pm

Mod Edit: Split post into its own topic for better support
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

RobHenry

Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:27 pm

Edit: never mind - correction to my assumption below.
Last edited by RobHenry on Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gordon77

Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:30 pm

Is this it? There are instructions here
http://www.squeezeplug.eu/

suffolk tony

Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:40 pm

Thanks - I've read the Squeezeplug instructions but it doesn't answer my questions. It says " insert the SD card..." into where? Is it a micro SD card? Do I remove the one with NOOBS on It?

aTao

Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:43 pm

All the different flavours of Linux manage "where programs live" slightly different to each other. To help non programming users the available software is held in repositories, several for each flavour of Linux. When you choose and install one of these flavours the set up to access the repositories is part of the distro, but there are tools to add more.
When a program is installed there is quite a lot more to do than just place a file in the right place, so programs are packaged as, well, packages. A package will include the needed files, and list the dependencies the software might have (other packages that it relies on) and the layout of where all the bits should go and any system configuration required to get the software up and running.
To make the whole process as painless as possible there is a program called apt-get that will handle just about everything for you. All you need to do is find out what the right package is called and then use

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install <name of package>
It will look for the package, determine what other action is required, present a list for you to OK.
If apt-get cannot find the package then the next step is to see if it exists in a repository that you arent looking at yet, add the repository and go again.
If it does not exist in any repository you can find then there is possibly the .deb file which you "execute".
#Worst case none of the above in which case you could get the source code and compile it your self.

So.. the SD card is the RPi equivalent of a hard drive, the OS and any installed software lives there, as do any files you havent explicitly placed on "external" media.
>)))'><'(((<

gordon77

Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:44 pm

Yes you are burning an image so it replaces your existing sd card, as l understand it.

RobHenry

Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:47 pm

The download at http://www.squeezeplug.eu/ contains a full sd card image so you put it on a spare one of the same dimensions as the run running in your r-pi. The process to prepare the card is the same as what is documented on the r-pi getting started pages. - http://www.raspberrypi.org/documentatio ... /README.md

Then shut down your pi and boot from the one you've just prepared and continue through the instructions.

suffolk tony

Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:17 pm

Ah. Getting somewhere now. So Rob, it's OK to remove the SD micro card with NOOBS on it, then I'll need another micro card with sufficient space to hold the Squeezeplug stuff, plus the contents of the NOOBS card. Then pop it back into the Pi, start it up, & I can install/run the Squeezeplug. Is this correct?

fruitoftheloom

Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:15 pm

suffolk tony wrote:Ah. Getting somewhere now. So Rob, it's OK to remove the SD micro card with NOOBS on it, then I'll need another micro card with sufficient space to hold the Squeezeplug stuff, plus the contents of the NOOBS card. Then pop it back into the Pi, start it up, & I can install/run the Squeezeplug. Is this correct?
Noobs Operating System Chooser is not really required imo, just install each Operating System to a different SD Card ;)
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot) RaspiOS64 ARM64
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

kusti8

Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:23 pm

suffolk tony wrote:Ah. Getting somewhere now. So Rob, it's OK to remove the SD micro card with NOOBS on it, then I'll need another micro card with sufficient space to hold the Squeezeplug stuff, plus the contents of the NOOBS card. Then pop it back into the Pi, start it up, & I can install/run the Squeezeplug. Is this correct?
No, you would have one card that holds only the squeezeplug img. The other would have your installed OS through NOOBS. They are two seperate things and to change it, you simply power down and insert the other SD card. If you try and download it and write it to the NOOBS card, all of it will be rewritten.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

RobHenry

Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:24 am

suffolk tony

Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:03 am

Many thanks for your patient help folks, it's much appreciated. I've grasped it now! :D

Return to “Beginners”