deth502

cant make sd card

Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:18 pm

im using vista. all the tutorials say that 7 and up have built in utilities for making the card, i dont. i downloaded "fedora arm installer 2" to do this. i run the program, but as soon as i start it, i get a dos type window opening up and windows asking me for permission to run "diskpart", when then opens in the dos type box and eventually gets to a comamnd line "DISKPART> _" with a cursor. i can add the image to the "source" box, but i cannot add anythinng to the "device" box, and whenever i click refresh on it, it either does nothing, if i still have the dos window open, or if i closed it, goes through the whole routine of asking for permission and opening to the "diskpart>" line.

what to do?

fruitoftheloom

Re: cant make sd card

Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:17 am

deth502 wrote:im using vista. all the tutorials say that 7 and up have built in utilities for making the card, i dont. i downloaded "fedora arm installer 2" to do this. i run the program, but as soon as i start it, i get a dos type window opening up and windows asking me for permission to run "diskpart", when then opens in the dos type box and eventually gets to a comamnd line "DISKPART> _" with a cursor. i can add the image to the "source" box, but i cannot add anythinng to the "device" box, and whenever i click refresh on it, it either does nothing, if i still have the dos window open, or if i closed it, goes through the whole routine of asking for permission and opening to the "diskpart>" line.

what to do?
First and foremost what version of the Raspberry Pi do you have ?

RPi2 B use Fedora 21 Remix http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 1&t=101027

Pidora 20 will not work on the RPi2 B

PIDORA
Fedora Remix
Version:20
Release date:2014-07-24
URL:pidora.ca
Kernel version:3.12.23

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_ARM_Installer

http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads
Retired disgracefully.....

deth502

Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:52 am

i have pi 1 B+, but at this point, its irrelevant. i havent even touched it yet. im just trying to get raspbian wheezy onto an sd card to put into it. thats where im stuck.

RaTTuS

Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:57 am

deth502 wrote:i have pi 1 B+, but at this point, its irrelevant. i havent even touched it yet. im just trying to get raspbian wheezy onto an sd card to put into it. thats where im stuck.
http://www.raspberrypi.org/documentatio ... windows.md
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 28&t=58151
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

B.Goode

Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:05 pm

deth502 wrote:im just trying to get raspbian wheezy onto an sd card
I wonder why this was posted in the "Pidora / Fedora" section of the forums?

I second the recommendation to follow the Raspberry Pi Foundation documentation.

Joe Schmoe

Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:40 pm

im using vista. all the tutorials say that 7 and up have built in utilities for making the card, i don't...
To the OP: Here's what you do. Ignore everything else - just do this.

First, requirements:
  1. Windows - any version (from '95 onwards)
  2. Some reasonable familiarity/skill in using the Windows Command Prompt.
  3. UNZIP.EXE - the command line unzipper for Windows. Don't use any "built-in" Windows stuff, or the so-called "Compressed Folders" or any of that nonsense. If you don't have this tool, get it from Info-Zip (Google is your friend).
  4. Web browser/ability to download stuff from the Internet.
  5. A brand new, fresh from the Dollar General store, micro SD card of at least 8Gb size.
  6. Ability to read/write the SD card from your Windows PC.
  7. A home router and an ethernet cable, so that you can connect your Pi to the Internet via a wired connection.
Steps:
  1. Go to the Raspberry Pi site and download the latest version of "NOOBS lite". This is the right bullet to get. Ignore all other downloadable files. NOOBS lite is what you want.
  2. Insert the Micro SD card into your computer. Escape out of any weird popups that Windows puts on your screen about the newly inserted card. Figure out which drive letter Windows has assigned to the card (Below, I assume this is F:).
  3. Open up a Command Prompt.
  4. Switch to F: (key: F: <enter>)
  5. unzip C:\path\to\noobs_lite.zip
  6. C:
  7. Do the "Safely Remove" dance. Remove the card from the PC.
  8. Hookup the Pi to the ethernet.
  9. Boot the card in the Pi. Follow the prompts.
Last edited by Joe Schmoe on Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

fruitoftheloom

Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:11 pm

B.Goode wrote:

I second the recommendation to follow the Raspberry Pi Foundation documentation.
In his original post he wrote "fedora arm installer 2"

deth502

Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:12 pm

B.Goode wrote:

because my problem is getting fedora to work. it will not burn the image file to my sd card.

first thing i am going to try is rattus's link says to use win32 disc imager software instead of fedora, in hopes this will be an easy out. if i still have trouble, ill follow joe's tutorial. not too very familiar with playing around with command prompts, which is why ill opt to try the win32 thing first, but joe seems to have laid down pretty foolproof directions, even for an idiot like me, so i hope to have this licked shortly.........

deth502

Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:23 pm

thanks guys!!! (and maybe girls, idk) the win32 app worked just like fedora *should have*. very simple and i am currently writing to my sd card (albeit very slowly) so all is well so far.

again, many thanks!
sean

vk4tux

Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:32 am

Couple of points for good results ;

1. 'Run as administrator' wherever possible windows imager programs.

2. Use 7 zip to extract zipped image files ;

http://www.7-zip.org/

for best results.

I use fedora arm installer, but on fedora, not windows.
The issue looked like permissions addressed by point 1 possibly.

fedora on the RPI2 is fantastic.

Adrian .... vk4tux

fruitoftheloom

Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:42 am

deth502 wrote:thanks guys!!! (and maybe girls, idk) the win32 app worked just like fedora *should have*. very simple and i am currently writing to my sd card (albeit very slowly) so all is well so far.

again, many thanks!
sean
Well confusion reigns you clearly wrote in response earlier
i have pi 1 B+, but at this point, its irrelevant. i havent even touched it yet. im just trying to get raspbian wheezy onto an sd card to put into it. thats where im stuck.
So what are you trying to install ?
What model of RPi ?

deth502

Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:13 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
deth502 wrote:thanks guys!!! (and maybe girls, idk) the win32 app worked just like fedora *should have*. very simple and i am currently writing to my sd card (albeit very slowly) so all is well so far.

again, many thanks!
sean
What model of RPi ?
ok, my terminology might be off, so let me try this again. im still new to this so my choice of diction may have made me hard to understand.

first off, i DID get win 32 imager to work fine so my problem IS SOLVED. not solved in as much as i got fedora to work, as was my original intent, but solved in that i got a different app (win 32 imager) to do what i needed done INSTEAD OF fedora.

question 1: im not trying to "install" anything. i was not able to write the raspbian wheezy image to my sd card because fedora would not recognize any devices to write to. i am still waiting on either my small 3.2" touch screen from ebay or my hdmi cable from amazon before i will even try to "install" anything onto the pi.

question 2: i have a pi 1 (not the new pi 2 model) b+ (not the a or b), but this is a moot point as my problem was not with the pi. i dont even have the pi out of the box yet. i cannot do anything with the pi until i get either my hdmi cable or display screen in. i have ethernet cables, a keyboard, mouse, power supply, and now that the problem i had in my op is solved, an sd card with raspbian on it. my next step after getting some kind of display will be to put all of this together and install raspbian onto my pi, and hopefully everything will go well from this point on out.

deth502

Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:17 am

and yes, i know a *can* run the pi without most of that stuff in "headless mode" and try it now, but again, im new to this, and the whole process of having the screen and keyboard on it seems much easier and more intuitive to me, so i will wait.

drgeoff

Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:24 am

deth502 wrote: ..now that the problem i had in my op is solved[/i], an sd card with raspbian on it
Actually your problem is not solved until you see your RPi boot from that card. :) Hopefully you will but don't count your chickens until they are hatched.

fruitoftheloom

Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:31 am

deth502 wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:

again, many thanks!
sean
What model of RPi ?
ok, my terminology might be off, so let me try this again. im still new to this so my choice of diction may have made me hard to understand.

first off, i DID get win 32 imager to work fine so my problem IS SOLVED. not solved in as much as i got fedora to work, as was my original intent, but solved in that i got a different app (win 32 imager) to do what i needed done INSTEAD OF fedora.

question 1: im not trying to "install" anything. i was not able to write the raspbian wheezy image to my sd card because fedora would not recognize any devices to write to. i am still waiting on either my small 3.2" touch screen from ebay or my hdmi cable from amazon before i will even try to "install" anything onto the pi.

question 2: i have a pi 1 (not the new pi 2 model) b+ (not the a or b), but this is a moot point as my problem was not with the pi. i dont even have the pi out of the box yet. i cannot do anything with the pi until i get either my hdmi cable or display screen in. i have ethernet cables, a keyboard, mouse, power supply, and now that the problem i had in my op is solved, an sd card with raspbian on it. my next step after getting some kind of display will be to put all of this together and install raspbian onto my pi, and hopefully everything will go well from this point on out.
Yes terminalogy issue, you do not install anything on the Raspberry Pi B+, it is hardware not software. Raspbian and Fedora are Operating Systems

First step is to create a microSD Card with Raspbian as per instructions

http://www.raspberrypi.org/documentatio ... /README.md

Next step is to insert the microSD Card, attach screen and keyboard and mouse and finally apply power.

deth502

Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:11 pm

drgeoff wrote:
deth502 wrote: ..now that the problem i had in my op is solved[/i], an sd card with raspbian on it
Actually your problem is not solved until you see your RPi boot from that card. :) Hopefully you will but don't count your chickens until they are hatched.
lol, im feeling positive about this now, dont jinx me!!!! :lol:

Return to “Beginners”