MadeOnEarth

What is Raspbian's default graphic desktop? Is it openbox?

Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:44 pm

I thought for a while that LXDE might be the graphic desktop for raspbian, but since I see no reference to it anywhere in the menus et al, and only see openbox (OBconfig etc), then I assume that openbox is the desktop.

However, I think openbox is a just a window manager, not a desktop environment per se (where I believe a Desktop environment is the window manager with a shed load of functionality built into it/on top of it).

So is it fair to say that my raspbian graphic desktop is Openbox window manager, which is basically a very vanilla desktop?

Thanks
Forgot to mention, whats the most popular desktop? is it RaspbianMate? Thanks

FuzzyToothpaste

Re: What is Raspbian's default graphic desktop? Is it openbo

Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:27 am

It's LXDE. LXDE runs on top of Openbox, so that's why Openbox is installed. LXDE is what most Raspberry Pi users use.

MadeOnEarth

Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:30 pm

Thank you - is there anything at all on the desktop (menu's, configs, settings, etc) which indicates that it is lxde?
Many thanks

Sleep Mode zZ

Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:01 pm

Openbox is a window manager. It can do a bit more than some other window managers and could be used almost on its own. Gnome, KDE and Xfce have their own window managers but LXDE does not - so it uses Openbox. It is possible to replace the window managers that come with other desktop environments with Openbox. I have sometimes used Openbox with Xfce.

A desktop environment is a group of programs that are developed to work together to form a 'desktop environment'. They are usually using the same libraries. I'm not really familiar with LXDE but at least the file manager and the panel are part of the LXDE project. Gnome, KDE and Xfce has quite a bunch of programs comprising the desktop environment: Programs to take care of many settings and some services running in the background. Because of the use of competing libraries, they have even had competing browsers, text editors etc. Fortunately there is also DE agnostic options because the competition between whole DEs is not purely a positive thing.

MadeOnEarth

Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:27 pm

Thank you, very helpful indeed!

However, what I really want to know is, without having to ask on a forum, and just looking at the desktop, how can I see which desktop manager or desktop environment I'm using?

Thanks

Sleep Mode zZ

Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:00 pm

If you have Raspbian, it comes with LXDE installed and configured. With other distributions the situation is similar: The choice of a desktop environment is so much a defining feature of the distribution that if you decided to go with the distribution, you will know what is the default DE.

If you install another DE and start to use it, you'll know what you installed and started to use.

You can check what processes are running on the computer and read about those programs - some will be associated with a specific DE.

When using Ubuntu, and changing the DE to something else from the default Unity, there is a program called a display manager to manage different 'sessions'. If you have installed several DEs, you can log out from your session, and choose a different session with a different DE from the display manager. The name of the session reveal the DE.

Looking at the desktop you could e.g. check what is in the start menu and if there is some 'about', 'info' or 'help' option there. You'll find enough information that way to identify your DE. My desktop computer's start menu has a mouse icon telling me quite enough. If I right click on the panel, there is info to be found about the panel. My panel is 'xfce4-panel 4.11.0'. That tells me enough.

If your desktop is a real mix of different programs from different DEs, it could be that the question - of what DE is in use - could be more of a practice in semantics than a real question.

Return to “Beginners”