cluelesscris

Re: Where is my samba.conf?

Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:27 pm

Thank you everyone for your input.

I am giving up trying to solve this.

In the last 20 minutes I powered down all my systems except one and the pi. The one windows pc has a workgroup of 'WORKGROUP'.

Go | Network | Windows Network in file manager still shows up smb://Home/ and no sign of 'WORKGROUP'. //Home/ only contains my plusNet router which I am unable to change the workgroup on and besides has no storage to access so it's pointless it broadcasting itself on the windows network anyway! (Frankly it's a naff router anyway and ready for the bin soon).

I have now managed to configure cifs to open a persistent connection to the required shares and so do not really need to loose browse the network in file manager.

Many, many thanks for everyone's input. I appreciate your time and effort trying to help a confused and aged wannbe techie.

hortimech

Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:34 pm

cluelesscris wrote:

Go | Network | Windows Network in file manager still shows up smb://Home/ and no sign of 'WORKGROUP'. //Home/ only contains my plusNet router which I am unable to change the workgroup on and besides has no storage to access so it's pointless it broadcasting itself on the windows network anyway! (Frankly it's a naff router anyway and ready for the bin soon).

Many, many thanks for everyone's input. I appreciate your time and effort trying to help a confused and aged wannbe techie.
Would it help if I told you the plusnet hub has an aged version of Samba built in and its workgroup is called 'HOME' ?

cluelesscris

Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:55 pm

hortimech wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:34 pm
cluelesscris wrote:

Would it help if I told you the plusnet hub has an aged version of Samba built in and its workgroup is called 'HOME' ?
LOL!

Return to “Beginners”