tomn

Some general questions re raspberry pi 4

Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:04 pm

I am a newbie in this forum and just recently set up the raspberry pi 4 unit and that went well. I get the splash screen, internet etc. etc.
(I understand reasonably well how to navigate around a windows 10 desktop. However when it comes to certain areas I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer. So, Please bear with me as I am confused about a few things and would like to ask a number of questions.
My first goal is to load and/or activate Retropie.
Question #1-When this is done successfully does the program and all of the game roms actually get loaded into the computer storage or does the retropie and all game roms remain on the micro sd card.
Question #2-Does the original micro sd card that the initial set up was loaded in from have to always remain in the pi 4? It seems so. I shut down the machine removed it and it did not boot to the sunrise splash screen but rather to a "terminal" screen.
Question #3 The machine sees my wired xbox 360 controller but it has not been able to get paired. Any ideas to why.
Question #4 Being at the stage where the Pi 4 is running what would be the easiest and foolproof way to get retropie up and running.
Question #5 I tried using the Escher flash procedure this and this procedure called for removing the original microcd card and inserting the card that retropie was flashed onto. Is this right? Because when I took out the original sd card the raspberry did not boot up.
Right now I cannot see where I am going wrong but obviously am doing something wrong.
Any help would br very much appreciated.
ps- I also blew a brand new 64K micro sd card and now it got partitioned and not it cannot be reformatted.....or can it some how??
Thanks for looking and please bear with me. I am not very literate when it comes to a lot of technical computer jargon.
Tom

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Some general questions re raspberry pi 4

Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:09 pm

2. Leave the SD card in - its effectively the "hard drive" for the Pi. Which may answer #1

Don't know about the others.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Working in the Application's Team.

fruitoftheloom

Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:35 pm

tomn wrote:
I am a newbie in this forum and just recently set up the raspberry pi 4 unit and that went well. I get the splash screen, internet etc. etc.
(I understand reasonably well how to navigate around a windows 10 desktop. However when it comes to certain areas I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer. So, Please bear with me as I am confused about a few things and would like to ask a number of questions.
Question #1-When this is done successfully does the program and all of the game roms actually get loaded into the computer storage or does the retropie and all game roms remain on the micro sd card.
Question #2-Does the original micro sd card that the initial set up was loaded in from have to always remain in the pi 4? It seems so. I shut down the machine removed it and it did not boot to the sunrise splash screen but rather to a "terminal" screen.
Question #3 The machine sees my wired xbox 360 controller but it has not been able to get paired. Any ideas to why.
Question #4 Being at the stage where the Pi 4 is running what would be the easiest and foolproof way to get retropie up and running.
Question #5 I tried using the Escher flash procedure this and this procedure called for removing the original microcd card and inserting the card that retropie was flashed onto. Is this right? Because when I took out the original sd card the raspberry did not boot up.
Right now I cannot see where I am going wrong but obviously am doing something wrong.
Any help would br very much appreciated.
ps- I also blew a brand new 64K micro sd card and now it got partitioned and not it cannot be reformatted.....or can it some how??
Thanks for looking and please bear with me. I am not very literate when it comes to a lot of technical computer jargon.
Tom

https://retropie.org.uk/download

https://retropie.org.uk/docs

https://retropie.org.uk/forum
I am a volunteer, take what I advise as advice not the utopian holy grail.

LTolledo

Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:05 pm

tomn wrote: ps- I also blew a brand new 64K micro sd card and now it got partitioned and not it cannot be reformatted.....or can it some how??
hmmm....64K microSD card.... seems a rarity these days...
or does the OP mean 64GB microSD card...

to format said card... on a w$ pc (or Mac), use SD Memory Card Formatter
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

on a Linux desktop pc, use gparted
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

HawaiianPi

Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:12 pm

tomn wrote:
Raspberry Pi computers use the SD card as their boot drive, in the same way that a Windows PC would use its internal HDD or SSD. So yes, everything gets installed on the card, and yes, you must leave the card in the system for it to boot. Removing the card is the equivalent of removing the internal SSD from your Windows PC.

Now, that being said, it is possible to configure some Raspberry Pi models to boot from USB instead of an SD card. So you could use an external USB flash drive, SSD or HDD instead of the card. I have some Pi3 and Pi4 computers that boot from USB-SSD (which is faster, and often cheaper per-GB of storage, especially in capacities of 256GB or more).

tomn wrote:
Probably flashing their pre-configured image (be sure to use the image for the model you own). Note that you should use a different card for this, because flashing an image to a card will erase anything previously on the card.

tomn wrote:
This question is a bit confusing and we'll need clarification about your procedures (step by step explanation of what you have tried, and a link to the guide or tutorial you are trying to follow).

Flashing images with Etcher (or Raspberry Pi Imager) is pretty simple, and usually foolproof, so it's likely you have either followed a poorly written or out-of-date guide, or there is some misunderstanding somewhere.

The general procedure for flashing an image is to have the target card (the card to be flashed) in a USB SD card reader (not in the Pi's SD card slot, assuming you are using the Pi itself to flash the card, and the Pi is SD card booted). The other option is to use a different computer to flash the card for your Pi (many people use a Windows or Mac OS PC for this, but you can do it with a Raspberry Pi).

One of the big advantages of using SD cards is that it's really simple to swap "boot drives" and have different cards for different things. One for gaming, another for productivity, another for coding, etc. And if one card gets messed up, the others will not be affected. However, it is possible to put everything on one card if you want to.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Return to “Beginners”