Xavi917

Connecting to Wi-Fi with a Wireless USB dongle and an Ethernet cable

Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:41 pm

Hi,

I am trying to connect my raspberry pi 2 model B V1.1 to Wi-Fi by using an ethernet cable and a wireless USB dongle but it does not seem to be working. I have connected it to a monitor, keyboard, and mouse to help me with doing so. I have already typed "dmesg", then "apt-cache search firmware wireless", then "sudo apt-get install firmware-realtek" in order on three different lines in the terminal but nothing really comes up in the end. However, it does say "0% [Connecting to archive.raspberrypi.org (IP address)]". Does this mean it is loading something because it has stayed at zero for thirty minutes?

epoch1970

Re: Connecting to Wi-Fi with a Wireless USB dongle and an Ethernet cable

Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:18 pm

Suggest you disconnect the wireless interface, make sure you can access the internet via Ethernet, and then get the packages you need.
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

HelpfulKoala

Re: Connecting to Wi-Fi with a Wireless USB dongle and an Ethernet cable

Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:09 pm

Xavi917 wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:41 pm
Hi,

I am trying to connect my raspberry pi 2 model B V1.1 to Wi-Fi by using an ethernet cable and a wireless USB dongle but it does not seem to be working. I have connected it to a monitor, keyboard, and mouse to help me with doing so. I have already typed "dmesg", then "apt-cache search firmware wireless", then "sudo apt-get install firmware-realtek" in order on three different lines in the terminal but nothing really comes up in the end. However, it does say "0% [Connecting to archive.raspberrypi.org (IP address)]". Does this mean it is loading something because it has stayed at zero for thirty minutes?
You're stuck at 0% because you're not connected to the internet to download the package...
Connect the ethernet then try again ;)

Return to “Beginners”