zzk

USB keyboard on Pi 400 desktop

Thu May 13, 2021 2:45 pm

Hi all

I am new here, and I am about to buy a Z6415 • Raspberry Pi 400 Desktop Computer to set it up for my TV as an entertaining system (youtube/netflix) and a bit of gaming via steam link.

However I have got a question - since this model is already built with a keyboard - is it possible if I can connect another usb keyboard to it (gaming keyboard)?

Thanks in advance !

davidcoton

Re: USB keyboard on Pi 400 desktop

Thu May 13, 2021 2:47 pm

Yes, you can connect a USB keyboard. No guarantee that the driver will recognise all the keys, though.
Location: 345th cell on the right of the 210th row of L2 cache

zzk

Thu May 13, 2021 2:56 pm

davidcoton wrote: Yes, you can connect a USB keyboard. No guarantee that the driver will recognise all the keys, though.
Thank you for your swift response!!!

my goal with the pi is to setup steamlink for gaming, and also to use netflix/youtube

I have seen it works with steamlink to run many games like Dota 2

btw - does the latest Rasberry Pi OS can run both netflix and youtube on Chromium? I have checked some online tutorials - it seems like i need to update and upgrade the apps like the widevine content?

davidcoton

Thu May 13, 2021 2:58 pm

No idea -- I don't use Netflix, YT, or Chromium if I can avoid them.
Location: 345th cell on the right of the 210th row of L2 cache

fruitoftheloom

Thu May 13, 2021 3:35 pm

zzk wrote:
davidcoton wrote: Yes, you can connect a USB keyboard. No guarantee that the driver will recognise all the keys, though.
Thank you for your swift response!!!

my goal with the pi is to setup steamlink for gaming, and also to use netflix/youtube

I have seen it works with steamlink to run many games like Dota 2

btw - does the latest Rasberry Pi OS can run both netflix and youtube on Chromium? I have checked some online tutorials - it seems like i need to update and upgrade the apps like the widevine content?

chromium-browser supports Youtube play back, though you may need to change format to lower quality.

Netflix requires Widevine DRM, if not installed then:

Code: Select all

sudo apt update 
sudo apt install libwidevinecdm0

https://bitmovin.com/demos/drm
The information is out there....you just have to let it in.

My other Linux machines: ChromeBox
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32966393971.html
& Stone Desktop Intel CoreDuo circa 2010

Dragontail281

Thu May 13, 2021 5:06 pm

Just throwing this out there.
If you are going to use a different keyboard, why not get a RPI4 8GB instead of the 400?
RPI3B+ - Raspberry Pi OS -general "playing" and/or RetroPi
RPI0W#1 - MotionEyeOS - yard/home brew surveillance
RPI0W#2 - PiOS/Driveway gate monitor - work in progress
RPI0W#3 - ?????

zzk

Fri May 14, 2021 2:29 am

Dragontail281 wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 5:06 pm
Just throwing this out there.
If you are going to use a different keyboard, why not get a RPI4 8GB instead of the 400?
hi
I actually thought about it, but the local store here is selling it for $144 where the 400 is only 125 :(
i have gone through a check list and i think 400 fits most of my needs plus i can take it around with me without an additional keyboard.

just got the 400 and got everything setup as the way i wanted - steamlink + netflix - perfect !

bjtheone

Fri May 14, 2021 11:52 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
zzk wrote:

chromium-browser supports Youtube play back, though you may need to change format to lower quality.

sudo apt update 

NOt sure what the exact current state is. Last time I tried it (at least a month ago) the default chromium install from the repo supports Netflix's but only at a lower resolution , 720 instead of 1080 (this is a limitation Netflix imposes on the hardware). I also noticed a bit of lagging/stuttering. While I am not sure why it seems to have some performance issues, the resolution downgrade is unlikely to be addressed since it comes from Netflix and you have to "lie" about your hardware via the user agent to work around it.

The work around is the tweaked install that has a different widevine lib and a altered user agent that claims to be a Chromebook. That verison plays nicely at 1080.

The two verisons (default and "media") happily co-exist on the same install.

fruitoftheloom

Fri May 14, 2021 12:50 pm

bjtheone wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:
zzk wrote:

sudo apt update 

NOt sure what the exact current state is. Last time I tried it (at least a month ago) the default chromium install from the repo supports Netflix's but only at a lower resolution , 720 instead of 1080 (this is a limitation Netflix imposes on the hardware). I also noticed a bit of lagging/stuttering. While I am not sure why it seems to have some performance issues, the resolution downgrade is unlikely to be addressed since it comes from Netflix and you have to "lie" about your hardware via the user agent to work around it.

The work around is the tweaked install that has a different widevine lib and a altered user agent that claims to be a Chromebook. That verison plays nicely at 1080.

As I have a 3B+ quite happy to use what RPT / RPF offer by default, rather than the Botspot / Petrov alternative Widevine DRM implementations....

....each to their own.
The information is out there....you just have to let it in.

My other Linux machines: ChromeBox
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32966393971.html
& Stone Desktop Intel CoreDuo circa 2010

zzk

Fri May 14, 2021 3:04 pm

bjtheone wrote:

can you please advise how to replicate the above method?

I have got netflix running - noticed the lagging/stuttering - but it happens here and there so it doesnt bothering me too much - however it will be nice to be able to run it smoothly

Return to “Beginners”