bassamanator

How to connect 2 fans to my RPi4?

Tue May 04, 2021 6:53 am

I have two 30 mm fans and wanted to connect them to my RPI. Can I just solder the wires together and connect them like normal? Thanks!
fans-orig 1.jpg
fans-orig 1.jpg (51.34 KiB) Viewed 656 times
| Raspberry Pi 4-8GB | 2.0GHz | over_voltage@5 |
| Raspberry Pi OS 32bit |
| https://github.com/bassamanator/raspberrypi-scripts |

LTolledo

Re: How to connect 2 fans to my RPi4?

Tue May 04, 2021 7:32 am

on my double fan, the wires for the 5v are crimped together, as well the the wires for the Gnd, so it will just use one pair:
Extend_headers.jpg
Extend_headers.jpg (209.9 KiB) Viewed 641 times
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

bassamanator

Tue May 04, 2021 11:00 pm

LTolledo wrote:
on my double fan, the wires for the 5v are crimped together, as well the the wires for the Gnd, so it will just use one pair:
Extend_headers.jpg
Ok, so I'm not crazy to have thought of this.

Are there any potential danger to doing this? I wouldn't want to take any risks with my RPi.

neilgl

Tue May 04, 2021 11:07 pm

Normally, you don’t need any fans.

LTolledo

Tue May 04, 2021 11:26 pm

bassamanator wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 11:00 pm
LTolledo wrote:
Extend_headers.jpg
Ok, so I'm not crazy to have thought of this.

Are there any potential danger to doing this? I wouldn't want to take any risks with my RPi.
risk? there are always risk...
due to human mishandling, as the human who does the crimping and connection....

my 5 units of RPi are equipped with these dual fan units...I can say its quite ok.

before trying it... check first with a 5v separate power supply and measure the current draw.
if its within the specs (2 x fan rated mA rating, compared with current draw allowed for RPi 5v pin), then its should be ok

Some people be like:

LTolledo

Tue May 04, 2021 11:28 pm

neilgl wrote:
OP's probably preparing for a heatwave.... just like the other poster (of large heatsinks) ;)

Some people be like:

Imperf3kt

Wed May 05, 2021 4:26 am

LTolledo wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 11:28 pm
neilgl wrote:
OP's probably preparing for a heatwave.... just like the other poster (of large heatsinks) ;)
The other poster you reference is also pushing their Pi to their limits, running them at 100% cpu load for sustained periods.

I can guarantee you, as someone who lives in a country where the ambient temperature during summer regularly exceeds 40°C, that a Pi working under normal conditions and normal workloads, will not require a fan.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

Rose tinted glasses are difficult to see through.

drtechno

Wed May 05, 2021 1:48 pm

Yes.
What those people say across the ocean, oh ya, Cheers!

boyoh

Thu May 06, 2021 9:25 am

What on earth do you want two fans on a PCB the size of a pack of playing cards, The Raspberry Pi was

designed to used coded low power switching signals . You have only too look at the PCB copper tracks

to see they are not for carrying high current It is not meant to be used as a power house.

The main function of the Raspberry Pi is too learn programming and ELECTRONICS

But if you want to impress your friends stick it on the Side Board with some Bells & Whistles

Regards BoyOh

Just a something to think about when designing , " Would you build a Steam Roller out of Aluminum. "
BoyOh ( Selby, North Yorkshire.UK)
Some Times Right Some Times Wrong

bassamanator

Sat May 08, 2021 2:22 am

boyoh wrote:
What on earth do you want two fans on a PCB the size of a pack of playing cards, The Raspberry Pi was

designed to used coded low power switching signals . You have only too look at the PCB copper tracks

to see they are not for carrying high current It is not meant to be used as a power house.

But if you want to impress your friends stick it on the Side Board with some Bells & Whistles

Regards BoyOh

Just a something to think about when designing , " Would you build a Steam Roller out of Aluminum. "
Well I think I have legitimate reasons for trying to cool this Rpi more thoroughly. My first Rpi acts as my fileserver and I have no plans on adding any more fans to it (it already has 1 cooling fan).

1. This Rpi (my second one) will be used to run Octoprint for my 3d printer and will be housed somewhere around it. 3D printers do generate quite a bit of heat in their vicinity. I live in a small apartment and you can feel the heat. This Rpi might even be housed inside the 3D printer itself. So heat is a genuine concern here.

2. I've been wanting to learn 3D modeling and I thought that this would be the perfect place to start learning. So I designed a case to accommodate 2 fans and now I'm in the process of altering a popular model on thingiverse to accommodate 2 fans. The next alteration I make to that model will be to add mounting support so that the Rpi can easily be mounted on the printer somewhere.

3. I already had these fans lying around and wanted to use them.

4. It's fun to do things with the Raspberry Pi, isn't that one of the reasons they developed this product?

boyoh

Sat May 08, 2021 9:30 am

bassamanator wrote:
boyoh wrote:

Regards BoyOh

Well I think I have legitimate reasons for trying to cool this Rpi more thoroughly. My first Rpi acts as my fileserver and I have no plans on adding any more fans to it (it already has 1 cooling fan).

1. This Rpi (my second one) will be used to run Octoprint for my 3d printer and will be housed somewhere around it. 3D printers do generate quite a bit of heat in their vicinity. I live in a small apartment and you can feel the heat. This Rpi might even be housed inside the 3D printer itself. So heat is a genuine concern here.

2. I've been wanting to learn 3D modeling and I thought that this would be the perfect place to start learning. So I designed a case to accommodate 2 fans and now I'm in the process of altering a popular model on thingiverse to accommodate 2 fans. The next alteration I make to that model will be to add mounting support so that the Rpi can easily be mounted on the printer somewhere.

4. It's fun to do things with the Raspberry Pi, isn't that one of the reasons they developed this product?

From BoyOh
I'm very confused with your answerer to this post. Do you mind telling me how old you are.

You are diverting from reality , To many IFFs or BUTTs in your post. You will only except one answerer

that is the only one you want to hear . Yes use the Pi for fun projects . as long as they work , and

you understand how they work, and able to test and repair them if they don't work.

Regards BoyOh

neilgl

Sat May 08, 2021 10:42 am

All sounds OK to me for the fans. Now where did I put that arc welder I was using for my aluminium steamroller?

bassamanator

Sun May 09, 2021 12:52 am

boyoh wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 9:30 am
bassamanator wrote:
boyoh wrote:

Regards BoyOh

From BoyOh
I'm very confused with your answerer to this post. Do you mind telling me how old you are.

You are diverting from reality , To many IFFs or BUTTs in your post. You will only except one answerer

that is the only one you want to hear . Yes use the Pi for fun projects . as long as they work , and

you understand how they work, and able to test and repair them if they don't work.

Regards BoyOh
If you could point to a single IF or BUT that I used in that post that would be lovely. I won't be holding my breath.

It would also be lovely if you not get personal and ask me my age.

bassamanator

Sun May 09, 2021 12:55 am

LTolledo wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 11:26 pm
risk? there are always risk...
due to human mishandling, as the human who does the crimping and connection....

my 5 units of RPi are equipped with these dual fan units...I can say its quite ok.

before trying it... check first with a 5v separate power supply and measure the current draw.
if its within the specs (2 x fan rated mA rating, compared with current draw allowed for RPi 5v pin), then its should be ok
I get your point. Thanks!

BTW is there a way to measure the current draw using a multi-meter instead of a power supply?

LTolledo

Sun May 09, 2021 2:34 am

on some multi-meters there is a function to measure current...
on some, one may need to change the connection jack as well...

one usually put the muti-meter in series with the load to be able to measure

something like depicted in the image below:
Measure-DC-Current-using-Analog-Multimeter.jpg
Measure-DC-Current-using-Analog-Multimeter.jpg (53.51 KiB) Viewed 260 times

Some people be like:

bassamanator

Tue May 11, 2021 6:14 am

LTolledo wrote:

So I created that rig and it worked! With 1 fan I was I was measuring 0.184A but it would continue to drop which makes sense I guess. With 2 fans I was measuring 0.101A. Unfortunately I don't have a 5V power supply. Can I assume that the data I have is useless to me because of the different voltages?

Thanks!

boyoh

Tue May 11, 2021 8:28 am

bassamanator wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 6:14 am
LTolledo wrote:

So I created that rig and it worked! With 1 fan I was I was measuring 0.184A but it would continue to drop which makes sense I guess. With 2 fans I was measuring 0.101A. Unfortunately I don't have a 5V power supply. Can I assume that the data I have is useless to me because of the different voltages?

Thanks!

From BoyOh
If you connected the fans as the test circuit shows on the meter and lamps show

This is wrong the lamps are shown in SERIES not Parallel

To test the current of Bothe fans running they want to be connected in Parallel

Regards BoyOh

Return to “Beginners”