incomingstorm

Creating a Pulsatile Pump with Raspberry Pi

Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:51 am

so I was given a setup on an Arduino to transfer to a Pi with Ubuntu on it. I am pretty new to this, so please excuse any stupid ideas...

so the current setup on the arduino is a 24V Pump (Comet 1395.79.59) connected to a solid state relay which connects it to the Arduino. Connected to the Arduino are two potentiometers, which control the pulsating frequency of the pump and the duty cycle, and a pressure sensor (ABPDANT005PGAA5). Then there is a TFT display which displays the pressure curve and an LCD display (Adafruit RGB LCD + Keypad) with the BPM Data.

I tried to recreate the layout here (obviously not accurate):

The problems I have discovered until now are:
  • The Pi doesn't have an analog input but the pressure sensor requires it. So I need to use an ADC (probably 16 bit?)
  • The Sensor requires 5V but the pi only has 3.3V
    • Voltage divider -> apparently creates issues with an ADC?
    • Some alternatives I found but not sure yet if/how they work:
      • Level shifter
      • LVCMOS
Do you have any information for me to get me started? Or anything you can help me with? Or something that will be problematic that I missed? I am grateful for anything!

drgeoff

Re: Creating a Pulsatile Pump with Raspberry Pi

Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:28 pm

incomingstorm wrote:
so I was given a setup on an Arduino to transfer to a Pi with Ubuntu on it.
What is the reasoning behind the desire to have the setup transferred to a RPi?

It will be more expensive, use more power, won't be more reliable, won't be more resilient to external influences, won't be smaller.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

incomingstorm

Re: Creating a Pulsatile Pump with Raspberry Pi

Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:45 am

drgeoff wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:28 pm
incomingstorm wrote:
so I was given a setup on an Arduino to transfer to a Pi with Ubuntu on it.
What is the reasoning behind the desire to have the setup transferred to a RPi?

It will be more expensive, use more power, won't be more reliable, won't be more resilient to external influences, won't be smaller.
Later on it will be used with ROS which would not really work with an Arduino. Also all other components of the system are already running on Pi's so my guess is, they want it consisten in order to make the integration of all easier.

Return to “Beginners”