Crazy Diamond

Wifi icon not working but Pi is connected

Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:13 am

I would be very grateful for any help on this problem. I have put in a lot of effort but being new to a Raspberry Pi, I don't seem to be getting anywhere.

I have a Raspberry Pi 2B using 'Buster' OS, which uses a wifi dongle to connect to the network. The Pi will connect to the network but is slow and the network icon (top right of screen) shows no connection. On right click I get a menu but selecting 'Wireless & Wired Network Settings' in the menu does nothing. Left clicking on the icon brings up 'No wireless interfaces found'. I have tried to connect to the Raspberry from a PC under Windows 10 using the terminal and ssh, but get the message 'WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED!' and 'It is also possible that a host key has just been changed.'

Network interfaces at /etc/network/interfaces has the lines...

source-directory /etc/network/interfaces.d
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

and wpa_supplicant.conf has the correct network name and password.

ifconfig reports that wlan0 is sending and receiving packets. Pinging a remote server such as google gives an average of 11 ms.

The wifi dongle is an Edimax EW 7722UTn V2. Originally the wifi and network cable connection did work ok but I had to re-install the Rasberry OS and I have not been able to configure it correctly since. Unfortunately I cannot remember how I got it working originally.

Can anyone help?
Thanks.

epoch1970

Re: Wifi icon not working but Pi is connected

Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:02 pm

Remove what you added in /etc/network/interfaces. This file should remain almost empty.
It is conflicting with normal network management under raspios.
Configure nothing but WiFi country and WiFi network details in raspi-config.
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

Crazy Diamond

Re: Wifi icon not working but Pi is connected

Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:17 am

Many thanks for the advice.

I solved the problem by re-installing the OS, and it all works perfectly now.

Thanks.

Return to “Beginners”