DwertlePlayz

How to use raspberry pi to wol through router?

Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:15 pm

Hello! My laptop is wired directly to my router and so is my pi. I was wondering if I could use it as a wol server. I set up WOL on the laptop already, but 5 minutes after shutdown it no longer works due to my router's arp table being cleared, which I have no setting to control. I've been trying to set this up all day with little success. Any ideas?

It probably doesn't matter, but I set up my router to be accessed through a ddns if that helps at all.

wildfire

Re: How to use raspberry pi to wol through router?

Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:58 am

Unlike more traditional PC's the Pi itself is unable to wake on LAN, but considering it's tiny power footprint why not simply leave it powered up?

Edit: Misread your intentions, Googling for WOL Magic Packet may give you some assistance for what you want to do.
E8 85 A2 40 C9 40 81 94 40 81 95 40 89 84 89 96 A3
Still NF Shirls

B.Goode

Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:05 am

DwertlePlayz wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:15 pm
Hello! My laptop is wired directly to my router and so is my pi. I was wondering if I could use it as a wol server. I set up WOL on the laptop already, but 5 minutes after shutdown it no longer works due to my router's arp table being cleared, which I have no setting to control. I've been trying to set this up all day with little success. Any ideas?

It probably doesn't matter, but I set up my router to be accessed through a ddns if that helps at all.

Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-on-LAN
A principal limitation of standard broadcast wake-on-LAN is that broadcast packets are generally not routed. This prevents the technique being used in larger networks or over the Internet. Subnet directed broadcasts (SDB)[9][10] may be used to overcome this limitation. SDB may require changes to intermediate router configuration.

So unless you have done some advanced configuration on your router it probably isn't going to work through the router.

I would be more inclined to suspect the implementation or configuration of the WOL technology in your laptop as the source of your difficulties.

DDNS should certainly not be a factor.

epoch1970

Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:27 am

Searching a bit for “wol proxy” I found back this thread in French viewtopic.php?t=152542
The keywords or links might be of help.
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

Return to “Beginners”