hdtv101

/boot/config.txt = DOS autoexec.bat ?

Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:29 pm

Is /boot/config.txt the place to add things to startup and I assume a startup can be automated to load files from the network and then run them?

B.Goode

Re: /boot/config.txt = DOS autoexec.bat ?

Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:47 pm

hdtv101 wrote:
Is /boot/config.txt the place to add things to startup and I assume a startup can be automated to load files from the network and then run them?

" I assume a startup can be automated to load files from the network and then run them?"

Yes.

"Is /boot/config.txt the place to add things to startup "

In general, No.

These options have been documented by another Forum user -
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=294014

klricks

Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:50 pm

hdtv101 wrote:
No you can't use config.txt to run random commands or programs.
If you are booting to desktop then autostart can be used: viewtopic.php?f=66&t=294014
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

thagrol

Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:55 pm

hdtv101 wrote:
Not really.

Config.txt just configures the hardware and things like which cmdline.txt to run.

Where you run stuff at start up depends a lot on what that stuff is.

For stuff that needs the desktop use the aforementioned autostart.

For stuff that doesn't, use systemd, cron, or rc.local if you want it at boot up, ~/.profile or ~/.bashrc if you want it at login (be careful here these run at every login not just the first one after boot).

For access to network shares use /etc/fstab to mount them during boot. There's a handy guide here: viewtopic.php?f=91&t=302752
I'm a volunteer. Take me for granted or abuse my support and I will walk away

All advice given is based on my experience. it worked for me, it may not work for you.
Need help? https://github.com/thagrol/Guides

W. H. Heydt

Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:56 pm

hdtv101 wrote:
/boot/config.txt is for setting parameters and optional module loads for the operating system.

GlowInTheDark

Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:22 pm

If you had to make a DOS analogy, it would be much closer to correct to say that config.txt is like config.sys.

Note that config.sys (in DOS) doesn't really contain executables (although, in later versions of DOS, it sort of did). It's more like directives and setting parameters. As is the case with the Pi's config.txt.
GitD's list of things that are not ready for prime time:
1) IPv6
2) 64 bit OSes
3) USB 3
4) Bluetooth

Loves Linux; loves to dance.

Return to “Beginners”