User avatar
rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 4258
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:16 pm
Contact: Website

Re: How to run .exe files on raspbian

Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:01 am

momzzz123 wrote:Im asking a question, is there an operating system for the raspberry pi that will be able to run exe files on it?
No. There is none and there can be none.

chiragatha
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 8:19 pm

Re: How to run .exe files on raspbian

Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:49 am

One of the best option to do so is in the link
but to do it you need to pay some basic amount
https://eltechs.com/run-wine-on-raspberry-pi/

tony1812
Posts: 354
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:40 pm
Location: Boston MA.

Re: How to run .exe files on raspbian

Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:06 pm

I am not sure if this is feasible on Pi. (mrmory etc.)

On my friend's Linux Ubuntu box . He installed a VM to run native Windows OS. thus most of .exe can run in Windows enviroment.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 24556
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: How to run .exe files on raspbian

Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:22 pm

tony1812 wrote:I am not sure if this is feasible on Pi. (mrmory etc.)

On my friend's Linux Ubuntu box . He installed a VM to run native Windows OS. thus most of .exe can run in Windows enviroment.
That only works on when you are using the same instruction set on both the VM and the host. In the Pi case, you are running on ARM, and Windows .exe are x86. That won't work. (there are also many other reasons but that's a showstopper).
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

Martin Frezman
Posts: 1020
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:05 am

Re: How to run .exe files on raspbian

Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:30 pm

Each new version of the Pi has significantly more CPU horsepower (and memory, etc) than the previous one. That is called "The March of Progress".

For example, the PI 3 (latest/current version of the Pi) actually has (almost) enough CPU/horsepower to run a browser effectively. I say "almost" because it still lags a bit and there are some problems, but it is (finally) a useable user experience. This is a GOOD THING. Make no mistake about it.

It is therefore not inconceivable that the next version or so of the Pi would actually have enough CPU/horsepower to make Windows X86 emulation feasible. This would also be a GOOD THING. Make no mistake about it.

Note that Ric-from-India has already done proof of concept on running Windows 95/98 on the Pi (using QEMU). Again, with enough CPU/horsepower, this could actually become feasible.
If this post appears in the wrong forums category, my apologies.

dmarett1
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:31 pm

Re: How to run .exe files on raspbian

Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:37 pm

So I bought this raspberry pi 4 for my self so i could do youtube videos on this game called roblox but i didn't know it uses .exe files so got ready to download it and then i noticed it uses .EXE!!! files
can you please help me :cry:

drgeoff
Posts: 10083
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:39 pm

Re: How to run .exe files on raspbian

Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:49 pm

dmarett1 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:37 pm
So I bought this raspberry pi 4 for my self so i could do youtube videos on this game called roblox but i didn't know it uses .exe files so got ready to download it and then i noticed it uses .EXE!!! files
can you please help me :cry:
Have you actually read the posts in this thread before posting to it?

dustnbone
Posts: 141
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:49 am

Re: How to run .exe files on raspbian

Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:52 pm

You can't run that game on a Pi. For around the same price as a Pi4 you could easily find an 8-10 year old Windows desktop that could, that's your best option. Even if you somehow made it run on the Pi4, it would perform worse than the 8-10 year old Windows machine. Much worse.

Please read the first 54 posts of this thread for more details as to why, if you're curious.

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 21314
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: How to run .exe files on raspbian

Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:18 pm

drgeoff wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:49 pm
dmarett1 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:37 pm
So I bought this raspberry pi 4 for my self so i could do youtube videos on this game called roblox but i didn't know it uses .exe files so got ready to download it and then i noticed it uses .EXE!!! files
can you please help me :cry:
Have you actually read the posts in this thread before posting to it?

There is an Android port of the Roblox Game:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 3&t=247482
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

hippy
Posts: 6497
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: UK

Re: How to run .exe files on raspbian

Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:56 pm

Eltech's ExaGear apparently used to run Roblox on a Pi, but since that's gone AWOL, it would seem one would have to use some other means of emulation.

X-Gen
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:08 pm

Re: How to run .exe files on raspbian

Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:24 am

Confirm your distro supports snap packages. (yes): https://snapcraft.io/docs/installing-snap-on-raspbian
Install or update the snapd service.
Install Anbox.
Launch Anbox from your Linux desktop.
Download APK files, and run them.
Wait as the APK file installs.
Click to run Android apps on your Linux desktop.

As far as exe files,
If they're 16 bit, DOS based, yes.

Code: Select all

sudo apt install dosbox
For installing Wine on the Raspberry pi, try this: https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to ... erry-Pi-1/
No guarantees on that last one though...

protosam
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:52 am

Re: How to run .exe files on raspbian

Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:33 am

As everyone else has pointed out. Windows binaries are a going to be a no-go on ARM based Linux. I'm a bit irked that someone implied that WINE did emulation... it doesn't emulate anything, it's just a compatibility layer... but whatever. The reason WINE wont work is because ARM64 is not x86 architecture.

Perhaps trying to get the ARM version of windows running might solve your problem (not the IoT core version). The ARM version of Windows 10 has some compatibility tools to allow x86 binaries run, albeit poorly.

There's a Tom's Hardware article discussing getting ARM Windows installed on a Pi:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/in ... ,5993.html

I'm not personally inclined to try it, so spend some time actually doing some research before proceeding



On another note, if you straight up need a board you can run Windows on, go check out LattePanda. I believe those are x86_64 based boards that you can hack on with pinout headers.

LTolledo
Posts: 2391
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:29 am
Location: Anime Heartland

Re: How to run .exe files on raspbian

Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:11 am

How to run .exe files on raspbian....

.... thirty years or so from now... who knows.... ;)
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

hippy
Posts: 6497
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: UK

Re: How to run .exe files on raspbian

Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:38 pm

protosam wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:33 am
As everyone else has pointed out. Windows binaries are a going to be a no-go on ARM based Linux.
That depends on what one means by "Windows binaries", and whether by "run" one means "natively execute" or "coerced into doing what it is expected to do". Most people with a .exe file they want to "run" don't care how it's done, are only interested in having it work.

I will agree that for some things performance is not going to be good enough, especially more demanding things, but I have had Windows 3.0 running on a Pi, Eltechs ExaGrear could run more modern Windows X86 applications, and others have managed to demonstrate Full Windows 10 Desktop and X86 applications running on a Pi.

So it's not so much is it possible - the answer there is that it is - but how to achieve it, the legitimacy of the means to achieve it, and above all, whether performance is good enough to make it practical or usable. For some it is, but for others it is not.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 24556
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: How to run .exe files on raspbian

Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:52 pm

Cannot believe this thread is still going. Not sure how many times you can say that to all useful intents and purposes, you cannot run .exe files on the Pi.

To the OP, almost certainly what you want to do is not possible.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

X-Gen
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:08 pm

Re: How to run .exe files on raspbian

Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:07 pm

jamesh wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:52 pm
Cannot believe this thread is still going. Not sure how many times you can say that to all useful intents and purposes, you cannot run .exe files on the Pi.

To the OP, almost certainly what you want to do is not possible.
You haven't read my post?
Some exes can be ran on the pi.
Apparently the Android port of the game can be ran on the pi.

And some person claims he was able to install wine on his raspberry pi. It should work, as arm is just reduced instruction, meaning there might be some performance penalty to get compatibility working.. but I haven't personally tried wine on the pi.

protosam
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:52 am

Re: How to run .exe files on raspbian

Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:24 pm

You can run windows binaries on Pi, just install windows for arm....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQBE1oP_lRo
^ This dude is reputable.


It sucks, is slow, and painful... and messy... but it is doable.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 24556
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: How to run .exe files on raspbian

Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:43 pm

X-Gen wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:07 pm
jamesh wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:52 pm
Cannot believe this thread is still going. Not sure how many times you can say that to all useful intents and purposes, you cannot run .exe files on the Pi.

To the OP, almost certainly what you want to do is not possible.
You haven't read my post?
Some exes can be ran on the pi.
Apparently the Android port of the game can be ran on the pi.

And some person claims he was able to install wine on his raspberry pi. It should work, as arm is just reduced instruction, meaning there might be some performance penalty to get compatibility working.. but I haven't personally tried wine on the pi.
And you didn't read my post. "To all useful intents and purposes".

Setting up a Pi to run x86 .exe's is long and complicated process, and the end result is an app, that if it works, will run so slowly (unless its 10 years old) as to be useless.

WINE can be installed, over the top of something like QEMU. So you are using the ARM instruction set to emulate the x86 instructions on top of which you are emulating the WIndows API. I reckon that will take about 10 ARM instructions on average to run one x86 instructions, so you are immediately running at one tenth the speed (150MHz). Then take in to account you then need to emulate the Windows API, there another speed factor to take in to account.

It's going to be SLOW, so slow as to be unusable unless you Windows apps was designed to be used on 200MHz Pentiums. So that's about 15 year old x86 kit.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

User avatar
mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 12514
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:19 am
Location: South Holland, The Netherlands

Re: How to run .exe files on raspbian

Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:51 pm

X-Gen wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:07 pm


You haven't read my post?
Some exes can be ran on the pi.
Apparently the Android port of the game can be ran on the pi.

Android doesn't use .EXE files, (why should it?) and it doesn't (normally) use an x86 processor either, the android version of the game is ported to run on an ARM system (under android).

User avatar
rpdom
Posts: 15868
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 5:17 am
Location: Chelmsford, Essex, UK

Re: How to run .exe files on raspbian

Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:52 pm

jamesh wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:43 pm
It's going to be SLOW, so slow as to be unusable unless you Windows apps was designed to be used on 200MHz Pentiums. So that's about 15 year old x86 kit.
:lol:
You want slow? When I got my first Pi (in May 2012) I was still using a few old Pentium 166MHz baby laptops (I still have them) with the latest Debian on them. I set up a QEMU ARM environment to build some code for the Pi. That was S...L..O..W! :lol:

Then I gave up and just built the code on the Pi. Much better :)

User avatar
mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 12514
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:19 am
Location: South Holland, The Netherlands

Re: How to run .exe files on raspbian

Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:52 pm

protosam wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:24 pm
You can run windows binaries on Pi, just install windows for arm....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQBE1oP_lRo
^ This dude is reputable.


It sucks, is slow, and painful... and messy... but it is doable.
In other words, like we said, its only theoretically doable, if you can stand the pain....

User avatar
mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 12514
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:19 am
Location: South Holland, The Netherlands

Re: How to run .exe files on raspbian

Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:55 pm

rpdom wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:52 pm
Then I gave up and just built the code on the Pi. Much better :)
You mean you cross compiled it for an ARM CPU..... Then it runs ARM code natively, not x86 code....

What we mean by "slow" is that even booting it takes far too long......

User avatar
rpdom
Posts: 15868
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 5:17 am
Location: Chelmsford, Essex, UK

Re: How to run .exe files on raspbian

Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:17 pm

mahjongg wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:55 pm
rpdom wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:52 pm
Then I gave up and just built the code on the Pi. Much better :)
You mean you cross compiled it for an ARM CPU..... Then it runs ARM code natively, not x86 code....

What we mean by "slow" is that even booting it takes far too long......
Well, I was running a full Debian ARM system under QEMU and I was assembling, not compiling. Just compiling 100 lines of ARM code took several minutes.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 24556
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: How to run .exe files on raspbian

Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:28 pm

rpdom wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:17 pm
mahjongg wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:55 pm
rpdom wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:52 pm
Then I gave up and just built the code on the Pi. Much better :)
You mean you cross compiled it for an ARM CPU..... Then it runs ARM code natively, not x86 code....

What we mean by "slow" is that even booting it takes far too long......
Well, I was running a full Debian ARM system under QEMU and I was assembling, not compiling. Just compiling 100 lines of ARM code took several minutes.
When I was at school we had a guy who could write 6502 as op codes faster than I could type, he didn't need an assembler. I could do a few codes, but not that fast! ('twas an Apple ][ )
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

User avatar
rpdom
Posts: 15868
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 5:17 am
Location: Chelmsford, Essex, UK

Re: How to run .exe files on raspbian

Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:07 pm

jamesh wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:28 pm
When I was at school we had a guy who could write 6502 as op codes faster than I could type, he didn't need an assembler. I could do a few codes, but not that fast! ('twas an Apple ][ )
I couldn't do that with 6502 (and I wrote a lot of 6502 assembler on the BBC Micro). I could do it with some Z80 code though.

Return to “Beginners”