roscatel

How to turn off GPS module?

Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:12 pm

Hello. I got myself an Ubox NEO 6m GPS module connected to an pi4 through UART interface.
Everything works just fine, I managed to get all the data I want. My question is how to "turn off" the GPS module? (GPS fix led is still blinking even after powering off the PI)

topguy

Re: How to turn off GPS module?

Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:55 pm

Remove the power to the module ?

trejan

Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:48 am

You can send a CFG-RXM command to enter power save mode and then set the interval to 0 using CFG-PM2. That should power down most of the GPS receiver. If the LED bothers you then put tape over it or disable the pulse output using CFG-TP.

I'd leave it running though unless you're on battery power. Power save mode with the interval set to 0 stops it from downloading the ephemeris and you need to wake it up when you want to use it.

If you want to completely power off the GPS then you'll need to control power to the module using a suitable MOSFET.

roscatel

Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:34 pm

trejan wrote:
You can send a CFG-RXM command to enter power save mode and then set the interval to 0 using CFG-PM2. That should power down most of the GPS receiver. If the LED bothers you then put tape over it or disable the pulse output using CFG-TP.

I'd leave it running though unless you're on battery power. Power save mode with the interval set to 0 stops it from downloading the ephemeris and you need to wake it up when you want to use it.

If you want to completely power off the GPS then you'll need to control power to the module using a suitable MOSFET.
Thanks for your answer, but I would need some more help with this, really don't know where shall I start from.

bensimmo

Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:00 pm

Pull the power cord from the Pi or turn the plug off.

I'm assuming you don't want the powersaving modes as you have the Pi turned off anyway.

But since I found a link, it maybe useful in future.
Note the newer Neo M8N is a better choice than the old Neo 6m now.
https://ukhas.org.uk/guides:ublox_psm

deepo

Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:42 am

roscatel wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:34 pm
trejan wrote:

Thanks for your answer, but I would need some more help with this, really don't know where shall I start from.
Maybe this can help?
https://portal.u-blox.com/s/question/0D ... bx-message

/Mogens

Return to “Beginners”