rasptrl

Setting up a new Pi and the system automatically changed the Passwd

Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:01 am

Hi,

I'm a brand new PI user and have been attempting to setup my new Pi 3 using Raspian OS. I have searched the forums for a solution to my problem, but have been unable to find an answer. I apologize up front if a solution has already been posted!!

I was able to boot the new Pi without a problem using a bluetooth mouse with a dongle, hooked up to a monitor, but I don't have a USB keyboard. I hoped to find a way to use my Apple Bluetooth keyboard, but I discovered I could not get the keyboard to pair. At some point when I was futzing around to find the IP address, I did something which made the Pi reset the password, but did not see what the new password was if it was displayed (I didn't think that was important at the time...).

I then researched how to connect the Pi to my iMac, and have successfully accessed it via an ethernet cable using SSH and a Terminal window. However, when attempting to enter any command to the Pi, it is asking for a Password. I tried the default Raspian passwords but none worked.

I then edited the cmdline.txt file to add 'init=bin/sh' as a last command in the file. This doesn't seem to have worked, because I am still getting a prompt to enter the password.

Many thanks for any suggestions!

Andyroo

Re: Setting up a new Pi and the system automatically changed the Passwd

Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:41 am

The init is only a minor part of the steps needed to reset the password.

If you have nothing that’s needed on the SD card just create a new card - lot simpler.
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

rasptrl

Re: Setting up a new Pi and the system automatically changed the Passwd

Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:44 am

Many thanks for your quick reply- I thought about that after I posted my query, but hoped there was an even easier fix! But of course, just go back to square one.
Cheers
Tim

Return to “Beginners”