Spode

Etcher or Win32DiskImager

Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:28 am

The installation guide on the official website for Raspbian says it recommends Etcher, but I noticed that the program doesn't have a backup function to back up your hard drive unlike Win32DiskImager does.

Should I be using Etcher instead or does Win32DiskImager still serve it's purpose?

I have to get a new SD card and fortunately, I found a two pack, 32 GB each. I essentially have two Raspberry Pi 3 model B's now.

Greg Erskine

Re: Etcher or Win32DiskImager

Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:43 am

hi Spode,

It comes down to your personal preference. It seems most people prefer and recommend Etcher.

I prefer and use Win32DiskImager.

regards
Greg

DougieLawson

Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:47 am

Etcher is easier to use. You can give it a zip file. Win32DiskImager only works with an img file.

Etcher also checksums the results to ensure the written card isn't going to fail to boot.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

jahboater

Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:55 am

DougieLawson wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:47 am
You can give it a zip file. Win32DiskImager only works with an img file.
Which is important. The full version of Raspbian is large and uses the zip64 file format.
Not all the Windows unzip commands can cope, so an alternative must be installed such as 7zip.

DougieLawson

Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:00 am

Etcher uses 7zip internally.

It's that feature that makes Etcher with plain Raspbian a good replacement for NOOBS.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

B.Goode

Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:06 am

The installation guide on the official website for Raspbian says it recommends Etcher, but I noticed that the program doesn't have a backup function to back up your hard drive unlike Win32DiskImager does.

Raspbian has its own backup utility, SD Card Copier.

But it's your system, your choice. Use whatever tools you are comfortable with that get the job done.

(Hint: you may find that an image backup made with Win32DiskImager cannot be restored onto another microSD card with the same nominal size. Test the backup and restore before you rely on this option.)

pcmanbob

Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:18 am

I use win32DiskImager that's what I use from day one of owning a pi and I have just stuck with it because I like the option of copying the SD card back to a file, I then use a Linux pc to shrink that file using a script that was published of this very forum.

This enables me to keep a copy of my finished projects that in the event of SD card failure or corruption I can just flash the image to a replacement card and after expanding the image my project is back working again in under an hour even after doing a update.

At the end of the day its your pc so you use what you want and are comfortable with, if that's win32DiskImager and 7zip or etcher what does it matter as long as you get the job done, there is nothing stopping you using both.
Remember we want information.......................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading is not supported

hippy

Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:45 am

Spode wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:28 am
Should I be using Etcher instead or does Win32DiskImager still serve it's purpose?
For writing SD Card images; I would recommend Etcher unless it won't work on the OS being used when there's little choice but to use Win32DiskImager or something similar.

For dumping SD Card images to a PC; Etcher won't handle that so you will have to use Win32DiskImager or something similar.

It might be worth checking to see if there is some Pi software which allows an image to be dumped over the network to save having to remove the SD Card, or to see if other network backup software would be suitable for what you need.

Return to “Beginners”