pointonefour

Unzipping Rasbian - "Not enough space on disk"

Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:21 am

Hi,

I'm rather new to Raspberry Pi and have come across a problem I'm sure is common, but which I can't find a solution for. I am attempting to download Rasbian onto a micro SD card for a Pi 3 Model B. When extracting with 7-zip, I receive an error message that there is not enough space on the disk. I have tried this on two 16 GB cards of different makes and models. Both cards are empty, and one is fresh out of the box. I'd like to understand why space is limited and how this can be circumvented.

Thanks.

fbe

Re: Unzipping Rasbian - "Not enough space on disk"

Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:39 am

The FAT filesystem allows a maximum filesize of 4GB. You could format your SD card with exFAT filesystem to save bigger files. Installing NOOBS on a SD card with exFAT filesystem won't work.

HawaiianPi

Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:01 am

You don't unzip the Raspbian images to the card. You write them directly to the card with an image writing program.

To go: https://etcher.io/

Download the Etcher software and use that to write the image to your card directly from the .zip file (you don't need to extract it first).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

fruitoftheloom

Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:59 am

pointonefour wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:21 am
Hi,

I'm rather new to Raspberry Pi and have come across a problem I'm sure is common, but which I can't find a solution for. I am attempting to download Rasbian onto a micro SD card for a Pi 3 Model B. When extracting with 7-zip, I receive an error message that there is not enough space on the disk. I have tried this on two 16 GB cards of different makes and models. Both cards are empty, and one is fresh out of the box. I'd like to understand why space is limited and how this can be circumvented.

Thanks.

Read the instructions, especially regards Etcher as above stated, many hours were spent creating a Raspberry Pi website:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md
Adieu

Return to “Beginners”