janos1

Raspberry UI

Fri May 25, 2018 12:50 pm

Hi to all.This is my first post,please try to talk to me as a really beginner.Never had Raspberry Pi but now like to try for my reef tank.Only the basic info what i need,if i buy different parts for Pi could i see the function on my monitor,or i need to be a good programmer to see or do anything?Ask because Adafruit site have lot of thing what i need but don't understand those code what i got with the devices is working by it self?Thank you for your time and understanding.

wh7qq

Re: Raspberry UI

Sat May 26, 2018 5:26 am

If you already have a HDMI monitor like a newer TV or computer monitor, you need only keyboard, mouse, power supply and a micro SD card, 8G or larger. With those things, it will act as a stand alone computer, albeit a slow one, depending on model. You don't say what you want to do with the tank so that is as much as I can tell you. If you need sensors, you may have to adapt existing code to your needs and Python seems to be the language of choice for most of them but there is quite a bit of code out there, already written. The sensors themselves are separate purchases.
Sent by WH7QQ from an RPi3/Raspbian/pixel desktop.

janos1

Sat May 26, 2018 10:54 pm

Thank you for your replay,just like to monitor and control some sensor (ph,temp,sal,)i can not even ask my question right,that is the problem with the really newbie.(old guy try to learn new thing)

jbudd

Sun May 27, 2018 8:35 am

No doubt you have seen this discussion: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/has-a ... tem.264093
Some people there seem to be aiming to sell their solution, but there is at least one whose code is on Github https://github.com/diverjoe/FishNet He uses Node-Red, which lets you connect inputs and outputs, and generate a nice web based status display, all without too much programming.

janos1

Mon May 28, 2018 11:37 am

Thank you for your replay,fallow both tread @ r2r and the freshwater forum.Downloaded lot of thing now just need to figured out how to start.Thank you again.

Return to “Beginners”