skorpien

Is a VPN a good idea for a Kodi-only RPi2?

Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:41 am

I just recently purchased a Raspberry Pi 2 Model B with the intention of using it strictly as a Kodi box to replace my IPTV subscription.

While researching and tinkering with the various OSes and Kodi, I started worrying about my ISP coming after me for copyrighted content. Admittedly I'm being a bit paranoid as I only plan to use the most common addons and not looking to torrent anything, but I wanted the community's opinion on whether a VPN service is a good idea for my use?

And if it is, should I be concerned about servers going offline and should I be implementing a VPN killswitch?

For reference, I'm located in Canada. And if I do get a VPN subscription, it'll most probably be PIA. I have come across Brian Hornsby's tutorial for OpenVPN and got it working on OSMC with a free test VPN to make sure I could before buying any VPN subscription.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

nickthefish

Re: Is a VPN a good idea for a Kodi-only RPi2?

Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:59 am

I use with PIA via Openvpn. Works a treat.

Depending on the speed of your network, I recommend tuning your CPU governor to ondemand or performance.

Here's my opvn file:

Code: Select all

client
dev tun
proto tcp
remote 104.238.169.116 443
resolv-retry infinite
nobind
persist-key
persist-tun
ca ca.crt
tls-client
remote-cert-tls server
auth-user-pass login.txt
comp-lzo yes
verb 1
reneg-sec 0
crl-verify crl.pem
cipher BF-CBC
rcvbuf 0
sndbuf 0
script-security 2
route-up /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf
Last edited by nickthefish on Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

nickthefish

Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:00 am

Last edited by nickthefish on Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

skorpien

Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:02 pm

Thanks! From my research, PIA seems like it's the best one by far. Thanks for the script and the advice.

If I may ask, what are you using for IPTV streams? I've read about getting local OTA channels with an antenna but I haven't been able to find any info on getting other channels.

nickthefish

Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:20 am

Not sure.

You could try Googling Kodi IPTV.

Cheers

rogerarbogast

Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:28 am

Yes, VPN is a good idea for Kodi. If you are not able to use Kodi on your system or some of the Kodi add-ons are not available in your country then you have to use best Kodi VPN to enjoy your hassle-free streaming of your favorite movies and TV shows on Kodi App.

You will find a huge number of best VPN over the Internet to use to browse Kodi on your devices. Some of tem are:
1. IP Vanish
2. VPN Ultimate
3. VPN Area

or you can check out a list of best VPN which is really very helpful to choose best VPN for you. Check it here: http://www.mytechbits.com/top-10-best-v ... 981234038/

Return to “Beginners”