abigeo

How to install OSMC on an SD Card with Raspbian installed

Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:37 am

I would like to know if it's possible to install OSMC on my SD card without wiping the entire SD card as I'd rather not download all the applications for my Pi again. Any help will be appreciated.

DougieLawson

Re: How to install OSMC on an SD Card with Raspbian installe

Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:45 am

If the card has NOOBS and you didn't choose OSMC as an installation option on the very first boot, then the answer (unless you're a linux expert) is NO. If you were an expert you wouldn't be asking.

The NOOBS installer is a one shot process. The NOOBS recovery system is a wipe and re-install process.

Your only option with your current system is to copy everything important to a USB stick, blast your system out of existence and copy everything back. The better alternative is spend £5 for a new 8GB SDCard and get used to the SDCard swapping game.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Since 2012: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Zero*2, 3B*3

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.

abigeo

Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:01 pm

DougieLawson wrote:If the card has NOOBS and you didn't choose OSMC as an installation option on the very first boot, then the answer (unless you're a linux expert) is NO. If you were an expert you wouldn't be asking.

The NOOBS installer is a one shot process. The NOOBS recovery system is a wipe and re-install process.

Your only option with your current system is to copy everything important to a USB stick, blast your system out of existence and copy everything back. The better alternative is spend £5 for a new 8GB SDCard and get used to the SDCard swapping game.
Is it possible to copy all my programs and transfer it onto my pi rather than downloading it again and is it possible to add a OSMC image that I have downloaded on my PC to the NOOBS installer?

topguy

Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:33 pm

abigeo wrote: Is it possible to copy all my programs and transfer it onto my pi rather than downloading it again and is it possible to add a OSMC image that I have downloaded on my PC to the NOOBS installer?
Possible: Yes
Easy: Not really.

Its not terribly complicated to take a backup of all the files on you current installation and restore them on the new one, but its only easy if you know how to do it, and you only get one chance to do it properly. And if you run into trouble you could end up with spending much more time than doing it from scratch.

kusti8

Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:42 pm

You could copy all of the root files (that will be partition 5) and then copy the entire root back.

But for a beginner it's going to difficult. Not impossible, but very difficult.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

DougieLawson

Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:06 pm

How much does it hurt to spend a fiver and learn to click a microSD in and out of your RPi?
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Since 2012: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Zero*2, 3B*3

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.

Un4Seen

Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:15 am

Hello Guys!

I have a similar question as the original one. I'm not trying to hijack this thread, I think my question is kind of the same.

Same problem: I have an existing RPI installation (Raspbian) running on a Pi 2, which has a lot of things running on it and lots of configurations which I just can't lose. But since it's right next to my TV, I though I'd try OSMC on it too. The only problem is that it seems you can't just install OSMC on an existing installation, you can only get a full image and you need to wipe your existing card (why, God, why?!). I can't just swap out my existing OS because there are things on it that monitor sensors, etc, so it needs to run all the time.
So the question is: is there any way to install OSMC on an existing installation without hurting the existing installation?
I'm not a Linux beginner, but I wouldn't call myself an expert either. I've got patience, though. So can it be done?

Thanks!
Andras
http://iqjar.com

fruitoftheloom

Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:52 am

Un4Seen wrote:Hello Guys!

I have a similar question as the original one. I'm not trying to hijack this thread, I think my question is kind of the same.

Same problem: I have an existing RPI installation (Raspbian) running on a Pi 2, which has a lot of things running on it and lots of configurations which I just can't lose. But since it's right next to my TV, I though I'd try OSMC on it too. The only problem is that it seems you can't just install OSMC on an existing installation, you can only get a full image and you need to wipe your existing card (why, God, why?!). I can't just swap out my existing OS because there are things on it that monitor sensors, etc, so it needs to run all the time.
So the question is: is there any way to install OSMC on an existing installation without hurting the existing installation?
I'm not a Linux beginner, but I wouldn't call myself an expert either. I've got patience, though. So can it be done?

Thanks!
Raspbian is an Operating System.

OSMC is an Operating System.

You can not install an Operating System within an Operating System, you need a Dual Boot which may be ""feasible"" depending whether or not you originally used the NOOBS Installer / Chooser as stated in previous responses.

If all you want is the KODI (was XBMC) Media Centre Software then just install in Raspbian OS as one would any other software.........
My only "PC" is an Asus ChromeBit running ChromeOS, cloudcentric at its best !
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC

Un4Seen

Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:38 am

fruitoftheloom wrote: If all you want is the KODI (was XBMC) Media Centre Software then just install in Raspbian OS as one would any other software.........
Thank you! This is what I wanted to hear :) I didn't know it existed as a stand-alone program.
Andras
http://iqjar.com

fruitoftheloom

Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:54 am

Un4Seen wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote: If all you want is the KODI (was XBMC) Media Centre Software then just install in Raspbian OS as one would any other software.........
Thank you! This is what I wanted to hear :) I didn't know it existed as a stand-alone program.
It has ALWAYS been: http://kodi.tv/about

http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Ko ... spberry_Pi
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC

mtantawy

Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:16 pm

I always wondered what is the difference and what would someone miss if they installed kodi on raspbian instead of OSMC?

fruitoftheloom

Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:47 pm

mtantawy wrote:I always wondered what is the difference and what would someone miss if they installed kodi on raspbian instead of OSMC?
OSMC was developed to optimise the KODI installation on an existing minimal Linux OS.

OpenElec was developed to optimise the KODI installation on their own developed minimal Linux OS (My preferred option)

KODI installed on Raspbian Jessie is running on a full Debian Operating System and therefore use more resources compared to OSMC and OpenElec...

mtantawy

Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:06 pm

Thanks for your reply! :)

So the first concern is performance, since Kodi is not optimized for RPI, hopefully running on RPI 2 should eliminate or at least minimize this concern.

What else? any missing features you would think of?!

deloader

Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:47 am

I stumbled upon this post while searching answer for same question.
adding OS is possible using noobs. copy all sd card contents to pc, then format sdcard to retain the original size. Now copy back all contents to sdcard and extract required os tar to os folder

KONEY

Re: How to install OSMC on an SD Card with Raspbian installed

Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:04 am

is it possible to do the opposite? Install Rasbbian or nOOB in an SD card with OSMC already installed. (with dual boot of course)
--
Regards
KONEY

KLL

Re: How to install OSMC on an SD Card with Raspbian installed

Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:29 am

actually using PINN https://sourceforge.net/projects/pinn/f ... p/download
and its install from a list of OSs from a USB stick
and some hard work with a existing system
you can try.
in my BLOG http://kll.engineering-news.org/kllfusi ... cle_id=133
at the end of the article,
i just tested to install the system from a updated ... Raspian image SD ( by zipping it to USB stick )
into a new PINN SD card.
( but until now i not try same with a old NOOBS install, hope the way is the same )

Return to “Beginners”