KLL

the ethernet lights are on without booting..

Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:27 am

mahjongg wrote:By the way, the fact that ethernet lights come on means that the PI at least has booted the kernel.
i just connected RPI3 by ETHERNET cable and power cable, NO SD card / USB stick
the ethernet lights are on yellow / green blinking.

( i do have USB boot enable OTP / so i can not test a "new" RPI3)

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Nothing on my screen, but PI has booted.

Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:26 am

You are talking about the LED's on the Ethernet port of the raspberry PI right. The ones driven by the LAN9514 chip.
Its my understanding that the LAN9514 chip is "woken up" by the kernel after boot, and only then turns on its LED's, but maybe I'm mistaken, as the LAN9514 is an autonomously functioning chip, and once woken it will stay on until you power it off.

In any case a PI without an SD-card, (or a boot-able USB stick in case of using the RPI3) is as dead as a brick, without any functionality.

KLL

Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:25 pm

mahjongg wrote:Its my understanding that the LAN9514 chip is "woken up" by the kernel after boot
so a network boot could never work??
the "brick" searches all interfaces for bootcode.bin / SD card OR USB stick OR Network chip/
but as i say, pls. test with a new RPI if its ethernet port is blinking, as mine is OTP USB boot enabled.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:59 pm

KLL wrote:
mahjongg wrote:Its my understanding that the LAN9514 chip is "woken up" by the kernel after boot
so a network boot could never work??
the "brick" searches all interfaces for bootcode.bin / SD card OR USB stick OR Network chip/
but as i say, pls. test with a new RPI if its ethernet port is blinking, as mine is OTP USB boot enabled.
That's a good point! It must be that the OTP USB Boot code also turns on the LAN9514, it should as its the only way to get an Ethernet connection working. I'm amazed they can do all this with just the few KB of bootcode available.

It still doesn't mean it can turn on video, or do anything except loading actual second-level boot-code, it won't "boot" unless it can load that code from somewhere. But yes, it does a hell of a lot more with its 2K or so built in ROM code than the original PI could.

scruss

Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:58 pm

KLL wrote:i just connected RPI3 by ETHERNET cable and power cable, NO SD card / USB stick
Please don't hijack someone else's thread. We haven't heard back from bbrace on their problems.

If you're having other issues, KLL, please start another thread.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

KLL

Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:10 am

scruss wrote:Please don't hijack someone else's thread.
If you're having other issues, KLL,
please start another thread.
??? you completely miss understood my post ???

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: the ethernet lights are on with booting..

Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:51 pm

Split off topic, as indeed the fact that on NEW PI's with OTP booting enabled Ethernet LED are enabled has nothing to do with the OP's question, and it distracts from it, sufficiently so that it seems he has given up.

Return to “Beginners”