pilot_ngb

Issues with formatting Micro SD Card

Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:22 pm

Hello,

I am trying to use Win32DiskImager to upload a new image to my microSD card. I am doing this on a Windows 7 64 bit PC. The image does get uploaded, however the old image is not getting removed. My understanding is that the old image is formatted prior to the new image being read to the card when using Win32DiskImager. Is this correct?

I've tried to format the card using SDFormatter but the sofware is saying that the card is write protected. I am using a holder for the microSD card so that it will fit into a standard SD slot on my PC but despite moving the button on the left the of reader, it is still saying write protected. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Neil

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Issues with formatting Micro SD Card

Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:55 pm

pilot_ngb wrote:Hello,
I am trying to use Win32DiskImager to upload a new image to my microSD card. I am doing this on a Windows 7 64 bit PC. The image does get uploaded, however the old image is not getting removed. My understanding is that the old image is formatted prior to the new image being read to the card when using Win32DiskImager. Is this correct?
I've tried to format the card using SDFormatter but the sofware is saying that the card is write protected. I am using a holder for the microSD card so that it will fit into a standard SD slot on my PC but despite moving the button on the left the of reader, it is still saying write protected. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Neil
You're correct that Win32DiskImager does not need the uSDHC card to be formatted before its use. However the currently preferred tool for writing *.img files is Etcher: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md
Occasionally a uSDHC may "end up" becoming read-only (as far as Windows is concerned). Sometimes this is a permanent failure or a "possibly recoverable" issue - two things to try a) if you have a USB-based card reader/writer, try that (not all built-in card slot are fully uSDHC ccompatible) b) if a) failed but you have (access to) a Digital Camera try its "formatting" option. If its still "read only" then it's time for a new one (they do wear out).
Trev.
Usually running Raspbian Jessie on up to 13 Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2, 2xB+, A+, P2B, 3xP0, P3B, P0W). See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

pilot_ngb

Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:07 pm

I've tried Etcher and it comes up with a message "You're not authorized to perfom this operation." Time for me to order a new card I think.

What is strange is that I am able to write the new image to the drive (using Win32DiskImager) but not format the drive.

Time for me to order a new card I think. Thanks for your help.

KLL

Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:17 am

pilot_ngb wrote:Time for me to order a new card I think.
+ even if you fix the problem with the adapter write lock
+ and your laptop card reader is not the problem
you still not able to use "RPI raspbian best feature of last year"
the SD card copier tool

so, better get a external card reader (uSD HC/XC )
i got this one: https://jib.co.th/web/index.php/product ... RA410-BLUE 5euro

Return to “Beginners”