Aceofwings

Opensuse and overlays.

Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:19 am

I am currently developing to collect data for an electric motorcycle. I saw openSUSE as being a power house as it is 64 bit.

I have a PICAN ,a simple hardware device that goes on top of the PI.

On raspbian I had to add these lines to the config.txt file. I do not know what they do but it worked fine and it allowed me to interface with the hardware using the ip link command.

dtparam=spi=on
dtoverlay=mcp2515-can0,oscillator=16000000,interrupt=25
dtoverlay=spi-bcm2835-overlay

Now is there a similar way to set up the hardware on opensuse and how so. I am having a hard time understanding the resources needed to perform the task.

dukla2000

Re: Opensuse and overlays.

Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:04 am

Aceofwings wrote:Now is there a similar way to set up the hardware on opensuse and how so. I am having a hard time understanding the resources needed to perform the task.
Morning - welcome to openSUSE!

openSUSE does things on a Pi the same way as Raspbian via config.txt and the device tree. So in theory the mechanism to implement a PICAN is the same.

In practice, as at today's date, I would be very surprised if all the aarch64 ducks are in a line to support what you need. Indeed my openSUSE playing is stalled
- trying to get sound to work: dtparam=audio=on has no effect as snd_bcm2835 was not in the aarch64 builds last time I looked
- dtparam=sd_overclock=100 has no effect - I am not sure why because the Pierre Ossman SDHCI driver is implemented in aarch64 but I suspect there is an issue implementing the correct RPi DMA channels. (Seem to recall the RPi developers doing a bit of magic way back when to get this working on the origional Pi.)

Bottom line - try it. But highly likely not ready yet. Any problem(s) you hit are unlikely to be openSUSE specific, more likely to be due to the immaturity of aarch64 on RPi. IIRC there are spi bits in openSUSE aarch64, but you may need to work with the PICAN folks for the rest.
Daily driver: Pi3B, 64GB Samsung Evo+ @100MHz, DVB-T, onboard WiFi for internet, BT/USB dongle for KB/mouse, 250GB HDD via USB for media, Raspbian Jessie Lite with Openbox desktop.
Museum: Pi B

Aceofwings

Re: Opensuse and overlays.

Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:57 pm

Thanks, Ok I see, I have tried it but I guess it becomes a waiting game for the transition of resources to Arch64.

Return to “openSUSE”