kerijan2003

openSUSE for RPi2

Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:30 pm

Is there anyone at all working on this? I've looked at all the links pertaining to that version of openSUSE, and everything still seems to point at the version for RPi B and B+.

DougieLawson

Re: openSUSE for RPi2

Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:13 am

I found a version @ https://en.opensuse.org/HCL:Raspberry_Pi2 but I couldn't get the graphics working and couldn't get logged in without some serious hacking of /etc/shadow (to add a known password for root).
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Since 2012: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Zero*2, 3B*3

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.

frief

Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:36 pm

DougieLawson wrote:I found a version @ https://en.opensuse.org/HCL:Raspberry_Pi2 but I couldn't get the graphics working and couldn't get logged in without some serious hacking of /etc/shadow (to add a known password for root).
Hi DougieLawson,

the password for root is "linux". Hidden somewhere where one would not expect it in the link you have given.

The instructions given there to set the keyboard language did not work for me (could set it with yast though).

I then installed patterns-openSUSE-lxde (took about 1h). This (after reboot) gave me a graphical login, but after login there is only a bottom left window "Console log for linux" and a moveable mouse pointer. It still reacts on <CTRL><ALT><Backspace> or <CTRL><ALT><F1> or <CTRL><ALT><F7> but obviously I hoped for more functionality:)

Greetings

ric96

Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:40 pm

DougieLawson wrote:I found a version @ https://en.opensuse.org/HCL:Raspberry_Pi2 but I couldn't get the graphics working and couldn't get logged in without some serious hacking of /etc/shadow (to add a known password for root).
+1 having the same problem
My apologies for shameless YouTube Plugs...
youtube.com/sahajsarup
twitter @sahajsarup
skype srics1996
e-mail: sahajsarup@gmail.com
Blog: http://www.geektillithertz.com/wordpress
Web: http://www.geektillithertz.com

Mikk216

Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:02 am

Hi,

I managed install opensuse13.2 from JeOs version.
The only "problem" is about screen resolution.
At this moment i only have 800*640 resolution. I try to change monitors and in 24'' or 42'' monitor the resolution is alwaus the same.
I try to change some HDMI paramters in the Config.txt of u-boot and the same.
I change some paramteres of the boot.scr also and even i managed to visualize plymouth for exemple the resolution is always the same.

Some ideas?

DougieLawson

Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:38 pm

Are you changing the right config.txt. OpenSuSE uses u-boot so there's an extra partition on the SDCard with the stuff for that (including a config.txt).
MQTT Evangelist

Mikk216

Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:12 am

Yes, i have done this.
I also try to change some paramters on the boot.scr whih is on the boot partition. And no results.

mo0n_sniper

Tue May 19, 2015 7:19 am

I have been using openSUSE on my PI2 for a day. I like it so far.
Installing packages is faster than on Fidora.

One problem I've been having is with the mac address changing at reboot. Tried to put it in config.txt but no luck, has someone had this issue and found a fix?

Also do you know if tumbleweed will include packages for arm7?

johndough

Tue May 19, 2015 8:20 am

Hi

Spent many hours trying.

There is a 175 meg img that boots to a CLI, zyppered in all sorts of stuff, but still couldn't get a desktop.

So the 565 meg image (desktop ready). and I get a blinking cursor that's all.

So there is much for me to learn.

I will try some fresh avenues and hope to be able to either report good news, or bin the idea.

johndough

Sat May 23, 2015 8:57 am

Hi

Went back to a small install.

Typed in some commands and got some results...

zypper ref (accept repositories and build file list)

zypper in LXQT* (106 packages lower, case also works)

zypper in xin* (28 packages, chose opt 1 to not break anything)

zypper in Xorg* (168 packages, chose opt 1 to not break anything)

and eventually

startx

Got a screen to choose a desktop, went with lxqt.config or something similar.

Got a working desktop, well sortof.

On reboot it fails, doesn't like/can't find firstboot.cmd or summat.

So it's back to basics and redo it, perhaps with a slight method change here and there, and HOPE.

johndough

Fri May 29, 2015 12:16 pm

Also do you know if tumbleweed will include packages for arm7?[/quote]

Hi

What/which img have you used?

Tumbleweed does include armv7 packages, and perhaps you could add the repositories accordingly.

http://download.opensuse.org/ports/armv ... tribution/

I have spent days and countless gigabytes of downloads and it fails to reboot EVERY time.

Time to try something else.

johndough

Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:11 am

Hi

I can create the imge on an SD card.

Installing the openSUSE Tumbleweed Image

It gives me a login cursor.

I can reboot and get a failure (listing below), or zypper in yast2 and lxde and xorg etc etc and still get the same failure.

Tried a few workarounds, and am completely stumped.

The temptation is to give up and stay with noobs, but since I have opensuse on the B+ I would like to have the armv7 work as well.

So can anyone suggest any steps to resolve the problems

Like the missing linux.vmx, can it be created or dummied up?

The bad partition seems strange as I have the 4 partitions. ..

The SD card is formatted with GPT (GUID Partition Table). After the first start with this SD card, the card will be repartitioned by the image to have 4 partitions:

a small FAT partition
a small EXT3 partition
a large EXT4 partition (takes whatever the other 3 leave behind)
a SWAP partition.

Finally I have installed yast2 firstboot, but it seems to have no effect.

ERROR Msg

Net: Net Initialization Skipped
No ethernet found

Hit any key to stop autoboot: 0
switch to partitions #0, OK
mmc0 is current device

Scanning mmc 0:1...
Found U-boot script /boot.scr
113 bytes read in 15ms (6.8 kb/s)

##Executing script at 00000000
2718 bytes read in 45ms (58.6kb/s)

##Executing script at 00000200
Switch to partitions #0, OK
mmc0 is current device

##File not found boot/linux.vmx##
Script Failed: Continuing...

##Bad partition specification mmc 0:0:2##

##Error “bootcmd_firstboot” not defined##

U-Boot>

I have been trying elsewhere, and the error msg seems quite common to other people, and it is thought that a script is called (from somewhere) that is trying to do an install or image expansion and failing.

nebadon2025

Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:29 am

I finally got LXDE to boot using KDM but it seems to be stuck in 800x480 resolution, I have tried messing with config.txt and also xorg.conf and so far nothing I do seems to get me out of 800x400, its possible its because I am using a HDMI to DVI adapter, though I have never had trouble with Raspian or Ubuntu or even Opensuse 13.1 on my B+. Anyone have any suggestions for fixing this problem? Also if you are wondering what I did to make it work, all I did was zypper update and reboot and suddenly KDM came up and let me log into LXDE, interestingly I tried switching to GDM and all i get is a black screen with mouse cursor that does nothing.

DougieLawson

Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:53 pm

The screen resolution is set by the GPU before the OS kernel is loaded based on the parms in your active config.txt. It can't be changed without a shutdown and reboot.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... fig-txt.md

That's not exclusive to Raspbian, it's the same for OpenSUSE, FreeBSD and Win10IoT
MQTT Evangelist

rpdom

Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:03 pm

DougieLawson wrote:The screen resolution is set by the GPU before the OS kernel is loaded based on the parms in your active config.txt. It can't be changed without a shutdown and reboot.
Other than by using tvservice and fbset (on Raspbian, at least)

nebadon2025

Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:18 pm

It turns out I actually switched to the standard Mesa drivers and not the raspberry pi gfx drivers, this is why it actually booted into the GUI but was stuck at 800x480. when i switched back to the raspberry pi gfx drivers now KDM boots up and I can log in, but LXDE never starts just black screen with mouse cursor only that has no functionality other than able to move it. So close I can taste it! I am doing a zypper update now to see if it resolves any of the issues, will report back later once it finishes

nebadon2025

Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:17 pm

well I completed updates, still no luck, went back to mesa drivers and LXDE is booting again but still stuck in 800x480. Hopefully the GPU drivers get fixed soon, still a good start in the meantime :)

frief

Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:09 pm

successfully tried
openSUSE-Tumbleweed-ARM-LXQT-raspberrypi2.armv7l-1.12.1-Build374.2.raw.xz
via https://en.opensuse.org/HCL:Raspberry_Pi2
Requires some patience to boot though. Full HD screen is not detected.

nebadon2025

Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:08 pm

have you tried actually logging in? I have tried and this image is quite useless for me, I really get the feeling opensuse community has zero interest in raspberry pi2 hardware.

frief

Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:31 am

have you tried actually logging in?
yes, I logged in. Both console and graphically. Screenshot should be here http://www.pic-upload.de/view-29875169/ ... t.png.html
2016-02-28-103522_800x480_scrot_.png
2016-02-28-103522_800x480_scrot_.png (44.58 KiB) Viewed 5586 times
There was a long (long!) time with only a black screen before the login prompt was shown.

pebwindkraft

Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:42 pm

I have a similiar issue... I want to go headless...
I have an RPi2, and 2 SD cards with ARM ArchLinux. Both work fine. So I decided to go try the openSuSE (I am used to openSuSE for years). Both cards (16 and 32 Gig) don't work with openSUSE. Bringing back Arm ArchLinux, all is ok.
So I downloaded several versions, lastly openSUSE-Tumbleweed-ARM-JeOS-raspberrypi2.armv7l-1.12.1-Build386.3.raw.xz (and also tried version 2 or 385.1 and some versions before). I get everytime the same type of errors: I can xzcat the image to the SD Card, plug it into the RPi2, and see it booting on the monitor. When boot process is finished, kernel starts, and ends with the welcome message:

Welcome to openSUSE 20160626 "Tumbleweed" - Kernel 3.18.14-5-rpi2 (tty1).

So far so good (takes about 5 min until it is displayed on the screen). Then I don't see any network lights flashing. Both lights of the ethernet ports are down. I wait, and wait, and wait (more than 30min), no lights yet... As I go headless (and I have no keyboard lying around - only working with laptops), I power the system down.

I plug the SDcard in my laptop, do an e2fsck, and can see, that both partitions (sdd2 and sdd3) are fixed. When I then bring the SDcard back into the RPi2, it would shortly start with the red light, shortly blink the green light, and then put red "always on". On the screen I can see s.th. on boot.scr, and "no zimage found". Then this message re-appears, and RPi2 is going into DHCP mode... (at least the network lights are now blinking!)
So it looks like after a reboot the kernel can't be found anymore (as the openSuSE is creating initrd and new boot env after initial boot). When examining the SDcard, (fdisk -l /dev/sdd) I see one 200MB FAT partition, and two Linux partitions (type 83, sdd2 and sdd3 for boot and root with ~14.2Gig). Also a fourth partition is displayed (type ee, GPT with 2047 sectors). I mounted the second partition (boot), and was looking for the kernel:

Code: Select all

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  247946 Feb 27 13:09 symvers-3.18.14-5-rpi2.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root     239 Feb 27 13:09 sysctl.conf-3.18.14-5-rpi2
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2610682 Feb 27 12:52 System.map-3.18.14-5-rpi2
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root    1024 Feb 28 18:24 vboot
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root    1024 Feb 28 18:16 vc
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 6612484 Feb  4 21:57 vmlinux.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5379072 Feb 27 12:53 vmlinuz
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      21 Feb 28 18:17 zImage -> zImage-3.18.14-5-rpi2
And I don't see the kernel (see last line)... It is a symlink into the same directory, but nothing "available" in this dir.
Any ideas?
(looks like I need to buy a keyboard, to copy during first boot process the kernel to the right place...?)

pebwindkraft

Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:58 pm

ok, found a keyboard around the corner, attached it, and tried to find the missing link to the zImage.
Did several "find . -type f -name zImage*", in boot dir and root dir, but that didn't reveal anything. I don't have enough experience to understand all this kiw stuff and the build procedure on firstboot. Perhaps someone has a running system, and can tell me, where his kernel is? (and is it still there after a reboot?). Astoundingly complex, such a mini system ... ;)

pebwindkraft

Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:22 pm

Wow!!! Progress!!!
I used today's tumbleweed image (build 389.1):
openSUSE-Tumbleweed-ARM-JeOS-raspberrypi2.armv7l-1.12.1-Build389.1.raw.xz

after booting it displays quickly the linux kernel messages, and then stays a minute on "building dracut initrd".
After this the normal linux kernel messages continue, up to the boot prompt. I login via keyboard or remote, and can do a reboot. After the reboot, the system now boots correctly, and the login prompt appears.
I login, and do a "uname -a":

Linux nohostname 3.18.14-5-rpi2 #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Feb 4 20:57:25 UTC 2016 (ac01a25) armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux

thanx folks, now I can play with my best linux env :mrgreen:

rgds,
happy Volker :D :)

pi-anazazi

Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:55 am

Hi!

can confirm latest Tumbleweed for Raspi is booting fine (takes a moment ;-) ) on raspi 2B, login is with "root" and "linux" as credentials, now doing updates and starting to configure...

Smooth start, btw serial console is doing fine also

fun!
Kind regards

anazazi

pi-anazazi

Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:23 am

... in fact it's pretty cool stuff!

Configure firewall from GUI (YaST), add VNC server (TigerVNC WITH encryption!) the same way, just by a few clicks.

WOW! The opensuse feel-good environment!

Only thing: on the monitor directly connected (VNC can resize to any resolution btw), I can't get a resolution other than 800x480 in

Preferences -> LXQt settings -> Monitor settings

But otherwise very nice look and feel

PS: totally forgot

First thing is to change root password in console (passwd) and add a second user with own password for safe Linux use... ;-)
Kind regards

anazazi

Return to “openSUSE”