bsdnilux
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:05 am

FreeBSD with Wireless support for Raspberry RPI3 ?

Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:35 pm

Hello,

I have read that Wireless will never work on Raspberry RPI3, because there is no driver.

It that true? If yes, I will probably have to reinstall Raspbian. I have no possibilities for ethernet on my raspberry pi rpi3 :(
Just for installation, but not for longer time.

here the information from the net:
Previous message (by thread): Support for Raspberry Pi 3 wifi broadcom driver in FreeBSD
Next message (by thread): Next up on creating armv7 MACHINE_ARCH: pre FCP stage
Messages sorted by: [ date ] [ thread ] [ subject ] [ author ]
Hi Neeraj,

no, wireless chip of RPi3 is not supported in FreeBSD.
The support depends on the new SD/SDIO stack integration. Once it is
integrated, someone has to write a driver for the chip.
No ETAs on both tasks.

On 2017-06-16 06:04, Neeraj Pal wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I want to know about wireless driver support for *Raspberry Pi 3*.
>
> Is there any support for Raspberry Pi 3 wireless Broadcom (*brcmfmac*)
> driver?
> Because i feels difficulty to set-up wireless in Raspberry Pi 3
> (installed
> *FreeBSD*).
>

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 17487
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm

Re: FreeBSD with Wireless support for Raspberry RPI3 ?

Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:07 pm

bsdnilux wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:35 pm
Hello,

I have read that Wireless will never work on Raspberry RPI3, because there is no driver.

It that true? If yes, I will probably have to reinstall Raspbian. I have no possibilities for ethernet on my raspberry pi rpi3 :(
Just for installation, but not for longer time.

here the information from the net:
Previous message (by thread): Support for Raspberry Pi 3 wifi broadcom driver in FreeBSD
Next message (by thread): Next up on creating armv7 MACHINE_ARCH: pre FCP stage
Messages sorted by: [ date ] [ thread ] [ subject ] [ author ]
Hi Neeraj,

no, wireless chip of RPi3 is not supported in FreeBSD.
The support depends on the new SD/SDIO stack integration. Once it is
integrated, someone has to write a driver for the chip.
No ETAs on both tasks.

On 2017-06-16 06:04, Neeraj Pal wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I want to know about wireless driver support for *Raspberry Pi 3*.
>
> Is there any support for Raspberry Pi 3 wireless Broadcom (*brcmfmac*)
> driver?
> Because i feels difficulty to set-up wireless in Raspberry Pi 3
> (installed
> *FreeBSD*).
>
Surely you should ask the developers for support, RPF/RPT only support Raspbian.

Though it seems NetBSD does not support WiFi either:

https://wiki.netbsd.org/ports/evbarm/raspberry_pi/
Adieu

k-pi
Posts: 606
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:46 pm
Location: Upper Hale, Surrey, UK.

Re: FreeBSD with Wireless support for Raspberry RPI3 ?

Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:32 pm

The RPi uses Broadcom chips, & they don't publicise the internal workings.

Use a USB wifi stick - there should be a list of what works, somewhere in the FreeBSD documentation.

User avatar
rpdom
Posts: 12813
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 5:17 am
Location: Ankh-Morpork

Re: FreeBSD with Wireless support for Raspberry RPI3 ?

Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:00 pm

k-pi wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:32 pm
The RPi uses Broadcom chips, & they don't publicise the internal workings.
Lots of systems use Broadcom chips. They work just fine. Maybe the drivers aren't built in as standard on the FreeBSD kernel. As said above, that's up to the FreeBSD folks to sort out (although they will probably say that you just need to build your own kernel with those drivers enabled, as is the spirit of BSD).


k-pi
Posts: 606
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:46 pm
Location: Upper Hale, Surrey, UK.

Re: FreeBSD with Wireless support for Raspberry RPI3 ?

Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:45 pm

rpdom wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:00 pm
k-pi wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:32 pm
The RPi uses Broadcom chips, & they don't publicise the internal workings.
Lots of systems use Broadcom chips. They work just fine. .
I know, & they were mostly reverse engineered by the Linux community, but we are talking BSD here. 8-)

Return to “FreeBSD”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest