billfusion

Are you looking for "the pi store" ? , I was and here is where

Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:40 am

The pi-store owners no longer exist (brexit fun)
I was looking for it myself (using an old beginners guide) and had to do some searching and finally found it was closed. ironic when you consider there is a page on here that talks about yet no where on the top it says it is closed.
Anyways fear not there is a sub, located in your setting (preference).
Go to the add/remove program tab and up comes a new GUI interface which has available apps in categories and is also searchable.
Touch an app and the dialog box shows you what it is
Check the box next to it and click OK to install (much easier then sudo apt-get)

Info forum
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/latest ... an-update/

rough video (I will make better one day)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgG6hqcp-R4&t=3s

Page that should be modified
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/introd ... -pi-store/

Just trying to help

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Are you looking for "the pi store" ? , I was and here is where

Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:57 am

True the PI store has been defunct for years, and the raspberry PI foundation has gone back to the proven old ways of distributing software, of having an "install new software menu", which most Linux systems have.
No reason to mimic the tablet way of having a "software store".

underlaying the "software install menu" it all is the same apt-get system, just with a nice GUI shell.
The GUI shells also exist, but this one is just a bit more user friendly, but other Linux distro's have a very common one.

That the pi store is defunct (no more working) is no secret, but changing a blog post is not something we can or will do, we don't do "history falsification", so we don't change a blog, once it was posted.

This forum has a sticky and an announcement that make it blatantly clear that the "pi store is no more", and even explains why.
it was simply a failed experiment in software distribution.

we think the older way was better, and no one is trying to make any money out of it.

We often get complaints why this forum section isn't made "read only", but so-far we have resisted such temptations.

Oh, and the closure had nothing to do with "brexit", in fact it was closed long before anyone talked about that issue.

billfusion

Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:03 am

Well I have done a run in of it seams to be buried or not straight forward before with other things. I call one the best kept secrets of computer back in the late 90's was "IPX/SPX" . Everyone knew "TCP/IP" but no one talked about the other which I found out the hard way that what was needed for any computer to local network (IBM and MAC) and those drivers was not always installed . Second most kept is that not all computer will work together.

Now with that all said there is a bunch of the old user manuals out there they all talk about it and there is a bunch of videos. and everyone is going to run into the biggest myth of all time, which is "everything in the internet is forever" , this is such a myth, so much a myth

Now as far as usefulness the "pi-store" looked to be one of the best for the pi. A list of programs in categories, info about them, ratings, screen shots, links to authors. Something that google play and apple itunes does. They are not super perfect but are very helpful. It would be nice to see something similar for no other reason to list what is available and what the programs do with screen shots and such. Be nice to find without coming across by accident (found out about GIMP though a demo of speed on explainingcomputers)

By the ways as big as the raspberry pi is, 95% of public does not know about, maybe 99.99

ghans

Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:56 am

Did Apple get the idea of an app store (launched in 2008) from jailbreakers who ported Debians package management (APT) to the iPhone in 2007 or was it the other way round ? ;)

Synaptic is a more featureful graphical frontend to APT than "Add/remove software" and includes screenshot support. Naturally Synaptic itself can be installed on Raspberries via "apt-get install synaptic" or "Add/remove software".

ghans
Last edited by ghans on Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

DougieLawson

Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:06 am

mahjongg wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:57 am

We often get complaints why this forum section isn't made "read only", but so-far we have resisted such temptations.
Time to change that. This subforum doesn't just need locking it needs deleting. There's no history in it that has any use use at all.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

KanoMaster22

Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:22 pm

This subforum doesn't just need locking it needs deleting.
Agreed. Although I do miss the Pi Store. I bought a Sense Hat from the Pi Store for £17 now it would cost me £30!

Edit: Actually I got it from the Raspberry Swag Store, is that different?

DirkS

Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:09 pm

KanoMaster22 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:22 pm
Edit: Actually I got it from the Raspberry Swag Store, is that different?
Yes, completely unrelated.

bensimmo

Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:57 pm

My kids liked the PiStore, they would look for new thing to try and play

Now they don't bother as apt is a big arse to find and know what anything is.
Add/Remove is almost as bad but does make it easier. You still don't know what half of it is though, so again they don't bother and you need to hope RPF bundle what you need.
They are fine with Tablets (Android) and Windows, they make it easy.

I really do hope they add recommend apps to install, like Fritzing, the new browser Vivaldi (as it actually quite nice) etc, Etcher (x86 as still no Pi version)
I t would make life for people easy to find things.

Return to “General discussion”