drmcl

Netbeans on Pi-2

Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:46 pm

Not sure how much merit or point there is on this just now, but I just installed Netbeans 8.02 on a pi-2 and created the venerable Hello World program on it (pi is running headless so running over tightvnc viewer). Installation went fine and it fires up fairly quickly. Compiles the prog in a second in the ide. Might play a bit more and see how we go - just think it might be good to code/debug/test in situ rather than from a separate box and wondered if the latest pi would cope. (CPU peaked around 75% on Netbeans start-up running background process, but compile takes CPU to arounf 47%, so seemingly plenty to spare.

Fidelius

Re: Netbeans on Pi-2

Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:52 pm

Thanks for the info, we intend to run Netbeans on the Pi2 too (once we get one).

P.S. Indeed it's much more effective to directly code, debug and run own programs on the device one develops on. :-)

clicky

Re: Netbeans on Pi-2

Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:33 am

When I think about it - it makes perfect sense. I used my 800MHz old PC with 1GB of memory, long time ago with first Eclipses (Eclipse 2.0)... Also, when run locally, smallest Eclipse doesn't take more than 0.5GB, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it running there as well. Those extra 512MB of memory makes big difference! Extra thread (or three) just helps! :)

Return to “Java”