joshguyman

Re: Portable display options

Wed May 02, 2012 2:50 pm

I apologize if this has already been discussed.

I want to be able to use Raspberry Pi on the go.

So if you won't be directly selling accesories , can you please help organize a list of viable options to use.

1. Power source: i heard you can use AA batteries to power it, but i assume not by default ,is there an adapter or set-up or DIY tutorial we can follow to do that. What about a car charger?

2. Cases : i've seen what looks like a CD spool converted to hold the motherboard, but it didn't look so good with getting wires in and out. I'd be interested in different models of covers/cases. Or just general specs of how much space it should have or if over-heating would be an issue if it was in an enclosed space.

3. Display: I've actually done some research and i found this

http://www.coollcd.com/COOLLCD....._p634.html

It's about $150 and doesn't even come with the cables or charger, but it does have an HDMI input and is portable so it seems like a good choice for on the go display.

Are there any recommended alternatives?

If any of these have already been thouroughly discussed please link me to the thread.

Thanks and i can't wait to get my hands on a piece of this pi!

JoeDaStudd

Wed May 02, 2012 3:23 pm

1. Just google micro usb AA charger and you'll get a whole host of them. Just make sure it has enough amps and ideally a charge regulator.

As for car adapter a standard 12v to usb adapter should work (they plug into the cigarette lighter). Then use a usb to micro usb lead. Again check it has the right amount of amps.

Ideally you'd have a charge regulator on both to avoid under or overpowering the RasPi.

2. See here for a pretty good list of current cases.

The heat from the RasPi should be extremely small. A few small holes should be enough.

3. Use the search button there are a ton of options.

joshguyman

Wed May 02, 2012 6:00 pm

Thanks that takes care of power and cases.

It appears to be that the video output is still up in the air.

I've read through a lot of the threads and it seems conclusive that without further testing everyone is unsure about outputting to tiny portable monitors.

I just think it would be nice to have approved tested monitors/screens with links to where to buy them and how much.

rmm200

Tue May 08, 2012 5:15 am

I picked up a little 2.2" TFT display from Adafruit for under $30 to play with:

http://www.adafruit.com/products/797

This is a 220x176 display with 18 bit color.

The significant thing for our purposes is that it is driven with three wire SPI (3.3 or 5V), which the GPIO pins should work with.

This would not be a monitor replacement, but it would be a heck of a logging device or output device for a media center, etc. MP3 player could display wave forms.

colin B

Tue May 08, 2012 7:09 am

My 8" touchscreen LCD arrived today, will be trying it out with the Pi at the weekend, will report my findings.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/280.....1439.l2649
On a clear disk one can seek forever

canineatheart

Wed May 09, 2012 4:27 pm

I don't know much about touchscreens, but if you just need a portable display do a search on Amazon for "portable tv" and you can find a few for under $60 that have RCA video input. Some of them run on rechargeable battery too. If it only has composite audio, you can find stereo adapters for a dollar or two easily.

slippern

Tue May 22, 2012 3:37 pm

Any updates? :)

Return to “General discussion”