gpio

JavaFX Chartplotter to Raspberry Pi Project

Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:30 pm

Hello,

Anybody would be interested in collaborating on a open-source project about a Chartplotter developed in JavaFX for Raspberry Pi?

Best regards

malcolmh

Re: JavaFX Chartplotter to Raspberry Pi Project

Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:23 pm

I have been developing an ENC rendering backend for use in various nautical chart applications. It uses awt.graphics2d, which I believe can be displayed in JavaFX apps. I have also written decoders for S-57 ENC files and OpenStreetMap OSM files.

Is this of interest to you?

gpio

Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:22 pm

Of course.

Mi e-mail is jetbotix at gmail dot com

Happy 2015!

Fidelius

Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:17 pm

malcolmh wrote:I have been developing an ENC rendering backend for use in various nautical chart applications. It uses awt.graphics2d, which I believe can be displayed in JavaFX apps.
Yes, Java 8 on the Pi (and elsewhere), which includes the new 2D- and 3D API named JavaFX, is as usual fully backwards-compatible to older Java versions using Java2D (your mentioned graphics2d).

However, since Java 8's JavaFX uses OpenGL on PCs and OpenGL-ES on smaller ARM devices like the Pi, in order to draw its 2D or 3D graphics, using JavaFX is much faster -- in particular on the Pi where the ARM can use every load relief.

Good luck with your project! And happy New Year.

Whisperpi

Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:29 pm

Hi, has anyone managed to make the a pi into a chartplotter yet? I would be very interested in getting involved.

Return to “Java”