goci

Oracle JDK on Arch Linux ARM Pi

Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:01 pm

Hi all,

Has anyone manage to get the following run on Arch Linux Arm?
Would like to install Oracle JDK on Arch Linux Pi... Not sure how though.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/ ... index.html

Thanks.

Fidelius

Re: Oracle JDK on Arch Linux ARM Pi

Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:49 am

On the Pi you can use the normal Java Standard Edition instead of your linked cut-down Embedded Edition, i.e. Java SE 7 in our case, which is the same Java SE known from the big Java platforms.

I don't know the details of Arch Linux, since I'm using Raspbian, but they should be very similar when it comes to standard Linux operations, I think? So you could download the normal Java SE edition for ARM v6/v7 hard-float, a tar.gz file: oracle.com

Then a simple untar will do, and you could move it to some place like /opt/jdk1.7/ and start it via the usual way: /opt/jdk1.7/bin/java
(This is not necessary on Raspbian, though, since Java SE 7 is included per default, and so it's also there in the apt-get software packages.)

--

Since Java SE 8 is going to be released in mid of March, you could also try out its beta version aka release candidate IIRC. Just download the ARM v6/v7 hard-float tar.gz archive: java.net

Java SE 8 offers hardware accelerated 2D and 3D via Javafx, also on the Pi via OpenGL-ES (but full-screen only since Javafx then skips the slower X11, which is used for Swing applications). Then your full-screen 2D (3D) Java applications start to fly also on the little Pi.
This works with Raspbian. Is the Videocore's OpenGL-ES also present on Arch Linux?

Return to “Java”