khooke

Preferred servlet container on the Pi

Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:49 pm

I've searched around and read a few posts about setting up Tomcat or Glassfish on the Pi, but based on what you've experimented with so far, what's the best (in terms of lightweight, low memory usage) Java Servlet container that you've used on the Pi? Are you using Tomcat, Jetty, Glassfish, or something else?

Xezz

Re: Preferred servlet container on the Pi

Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:07 am

While I haven't used any application server on the Pi, we used Jetty on a Guruplug at work and have had good success with it.

I'm not exactly sure how great the differnce is between those two devices, but Jetty should do good enough I think.

decebal

Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:27 pm

Hi

Another option is winstone. Jenkins CI uses this lightweight (166 KB) servlet container with success. An maintained version is on github [2].

[1] http://winstone.sourceforge.net
[2] https://github.com/jenkinsci/winstone

Best regards,
Decebal - https://github.com/decebals

rubiconC0wboy

Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:45 am

Give Glassfish a spin. I have only done JSPs but the speed, once the JSP is compiled, is not bad.

khooke

Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:28 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried out the full version of JBoss AS7 and while it takes much longer to start up (about a minute), while it's up, page response times are comparable with responses from AS7 running on my laptop. Had to decrease the -Xms and -Xmx down to sensible sizes (think I've got -Xmx128m right now), and remove the -client / -server Hotspot flags since I'm running on the SE 8 developer preview.

akaptt

Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:46 pm

I have been using a Rasberry Pi for just a day. But I have gotten both JavaFX and Jetty running. Tested both with a very active AJAX based web application and it works great.

For full disclosure, I am actually running an application framework for hosting highly concurrent applications spread across a LAN. Jetty is embedded in this framework as a plug-in (actually "bundle") to provide web UI. I have had to make no mods to either jetty or the distributed framework to make it run.

crackers

Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:08 am

Running a Jetty server with a Spring and GWT application since about Xmas with Java 8 EA, no problems at all. Initial page loads are a tad slower than on other systems I have around, but considering the source, not too shabby at all...

Return to “Java”