aurelienv03

Raspeberry pi 3b+ good for java ?

Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:14 pm

Hello i'm actually studying java language and i was wondering if it was a good choice to improve my skill in linux/java with a raspberry ?
do you use IDE on raspeberry or you use simple texte editor ?
thx :D

DougieLawson

Re: Raspeberry pi 3b+ good for java ?

Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:13 pm

There's fairly good Java support in Raspbian. I don't use any IDE, all programs (python, c, c++, Java, etc.) I write are done with vi. Geany has some support for Java (not that I've ever used it).
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

aurelienv03

Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:28 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
There's fairly good Java support in Raspbian. I don't use any IDE, all programs (python, c, c++, Java, etc.) I write are done with vi. Geany has some support for Java (not that I've ever used it).
but it's not hard do programm without ide ? :)

DougieLawson

Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:31 pm

Correct, I only need a good text editor and I'm happy. I guess that comes from using a good text editor (IBM's mainframe ISPF since 1983).

Syntax highlighting helps.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

knute

Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:23 pm

I use vim to write Java programs on Linux and Windows machines. It has both a terminal version and a windowed version. Java is my favorite language and I write Java programs for the Pi all the time. You can see some at http://pi.knutejohnson.com.

jahboater

Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:01 am

aurelienv03 wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:28 pm
DougieLawson wrote:
but it's not hard do programm without ide ? :)
It is easy - any decent text editor, the compiler, the debugger - all you need.
Keep it simple!

hippy

Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:39 am

I also tend to program using just a text editor, but when one needs to debug something one often cannot beat a good IDE with integrated debugging supported within that.

I don't use Java so have no idea what debugging support Java IDE's may offer in that respect nor whether they are available for Pi or not.

Balin

Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:00 am

First of all, Java runs very well on any Raspberry Pi, even the older and smaller ones. Even for JSP web applications with a tomcat or similiar, the Pis are usable. I recommend using the suitable OpenJDK from Azul on it, because Oracle tends to look at these small computers as "embedded systems", which - in case you want to go commercial - need an Oracle license.

I never did any development on a Pi, though. Regarding limited CPU power and RAM space, and remembering development on equally small computers some years ago, I would recommend NetBeans as IDE for Java development, if you are going to serious development with more than a handful of of classes. Compared with "simple" text editors (well, vi, and especially emacs, are not that simple, but nevertheless not Java-specialized), it makes things like importing classes or debugging much easier, and it runs good even with smaller memory sizes. Also, it supports maven, which is a necessary thing in today's Java development, and several version control systems, like git, out of the box, as well as deployment mechanisms.
Regards, Balin.

Return to “Java”