smblackledge

IBM USB keyboard not detected

Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:03 am

I installed Plan9 with no problems (32G Kingston SD card). The OS comes up and boots right into the editor which is good. The problem is that my IBM (USB) keyboard isn't detected; the editor doesn't display any typed characters. There are no error messages that are *obvious* (in a popup). If it matters, I am using a 3-button mouse. Are there post-install steps I must perform to get the keyboard to work? Any other ideas? Any information you need that I need to post? Are there logs I should be looking at?

(Maybe I just need to DL the image again. I haven't done that yet because the boot seems to work nicely.)

Thanks,
Scott

smblackledge

Re: IBM USB keyboard not detected

Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:07 am

If nobody has any ideas, perhaps you could tell me a couple of better places/people to ask?

Thanks

rpdom

Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:41 am

Just to rule out any problems with the hardware, could you try installing Raspbian Lite on a card and see if the keyboard works with that?

smblackledge

Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:31 am

Thanks for your input.

I have already used the keyboard on the full Raspbian and it works perfectly. Although its not "Raspbian Lite," I hope that answers your question. Please let me know if you still want me to test with Raspbian Lite and I'll get it done.

Scott

rpdom

Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:45 am

smblackledge wrote:I have already used the keyboard on the full Raspbian and it works perfectly. Although its not "Raspbian Lite," I hope that answers your question. Please let me know if you still want me to test with Raspbian Lite and I'll get it done.
Ok, that confirms the Pi and the keyboard are working correctly, so the problem is with "Plan9".

Bakul Shah

Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:17 am

smblackledge wrote:If nobody has any ideas, perhaps you could tell me a couple of better places/people to ask?

Thanks
plan9 doesn't handle as many different kinds of keyboards as Linux. You'll have a better chance of success with a basic, nothing fancy keyboard (the one I use is under $10 in the US). As for where to ask, try the 9fans mailing list as that is where plan9 fans hang out. Subscribe @ http://mail.9fans.net/listinfo/9fans.

Return to “Plan 9”