Schwabinger

suddenly Xin Mo game controller behaves different

Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:44 pm

Over several month I built a tiny arcade machine which is based on a Raspberry Pi B.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rigasw/16126864382/

Software is mame4all-pi.

To read the inputs (joystick, Buttons) I started with retrogame and the PI's pins.
Then I tried to built my own joystick-controller using an Arduino Leonardo (worked ok, but not perfect).
Then, about 4 weeks ago, I got myself a XIN MO Dual ArcadeUSB controller, to which I connected joystick and buttons.

Worked very well for three weeks, Joystick operation was more accurate, Pac-Man, DigDug, MrDo ... lots of high-scores ....

Two days ago the behavior of the joystick suddenly changed. If you shortly move it in one direction, it immediately gives not only one impulse, but several. In MAME's menue you hardly can go to the line that you want, because the cursor goes so fast up or down.

And some games are hardly playable any more.
Controller seems to be ok though; I tested it in a different Linux computer, mame worked fine.

Some days ago I did an apt-get upgrade on mi PI.

I suppose that this is, where the problem started.

Version is:
Linux rasp3 3.18.5+ #744 PREEMPT Fri Jan 30 18:19:07 GMT 2015 armv6l GNU/Linux

And this is how the controller shows in dmesg:
5.505510] xinmo 0003:16C0:05E1.0003: input,hidraw2: USB HID v1.01 Joystick [Xin-Mo Xin-Mo Dual Arcade] on usb-bcm2708_usb-1.3.3/input0

Any ideas?

Schwabinger

julieno

Re: suddenly Xin Mo game controller behaves different

Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:19 am

Hi
I think I'm experiencing the same problem with my Rpi2 & xin mo, with a brand new raspian image. It works perfectly fine with a older raspian w/ Pimame on my Rpi1.
-hard to navigate in the mame menu
-hard to define the directions in mame config : you have to gently push the joystick in the desired axis so that mame config gets it, if you push it to the metal, the defined key will be "none".
-ingame direction is "chopped"
-on top of that you get a slight lag when pressing the buttons.

I will try the newer image on my older Rpi but I'm pretty sure the results will be the same since you have the problem on a Rpi.

daveireland20

Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:45 pm

I am having exactly the same issue, Brand new RPi2, along with the v2.5 build of Retropie, the Xin-Mo controller connects fine and is detected for calibration both in RetroArch config and Emulation Station, however just as above, it's as if its almost a little too sensitive, one register of the microswitch will move the selected GUI icon for instance, several places, its a bit odd. Have you guys managed to find a resolution at all ?

Zubyzub

Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:24 pm

Same issue here. From evtest it's clearly visible, that joystick is sending multiple events all the time :/

julieno

Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:39 am

I tried older raspbian images on my pi2 but it only seem to boot with the latest image.
My xin mo controller still works fine on my pi1 which runs a 2013 image.
The Pi 2 & latest raspbian image fine with the same controler using a keyboard hack instead of the xin mo.
I sent the link to the contact on the xin mo website.

julieno

Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:00 pm

Here is the answer from the guy from Xin mo
Hello sir,

If you were used a new firmware,maybe you have to calibrate again.

I see the information on the forum. System has been successfully identified the controller. The problem seems to be on the calibrated.

Rarely play raspberry, otherwise I can provide more help.Sorry about that.

Best regards

Jerry Yu

daveireland20

Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:33 pm

Not a massive amount of help from that chap Sadly, did you say that you had it working on previous versions of Retropie, specifically 2.3 ? I would have tested it myself, however i have an RPi2, and as such only version 2.5 is currently compatible.

grit

Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:09 pm

Have the same problem, tried re calibrating but it's still bad. It almost seems like it's off sync or something. Sending messages too fast? Also, joy-axis are interfering with each other Player 1 and 3 x&y axis are mixed

Zubyzub

Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:08 pm

Ok i just found a solution and make pull request to git. It will work again in next version :p

daveireland20

Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:26 pm

You found, a solution ? Excellent news !

Care to elaborate at all buddy ? I'm certainly no programming expert, but curiosity begs me to ask !

Zubyzub

Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:56 pm

Yes i did and it's working event better than before :] Now you'll get two separate devices, so you don't have to bypass anything in emulation station or such. You'll directly see two joysticks :] Now it's up to guys from Raspbian, i don't have rights to commit that change, they have to do it. I just create a pull request.

Schwabinger

Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:14 pm

Mhm, I am really looking forward to that solution. Some more details would be great to hear.

Different approach might be using the RaspiCade distribution. From my first test the joystick seems to behave ok. (It is based on a different Linux distro, I suppose ...)

Cheers,

Schwabinger

julieno

Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:17 pm

Great job.
Maybe you can put your corrected sd image somewhere on the web?

feederchain

Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:29 pm

I'm not sure if my issue is related, but it sounds very similar.

I posted about it here

http://blog.petrockblock.com/forums/top ... post-87676

and here.

I found a fix for myself. It works.... as in I've tested it for a few minutes on a Pi1 and Pi2 :-)

Schwabinger

Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:16 am

Hi Feederchain,

thanks a lot! Works like a charm.

Greetings from snowy Munich,

Schwabinger

tbud1

Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:09 am

I'm sorry to bother anybody, but I have been trying like crazy to get this kernel to work and for the life of me I cant figure it out. I downloaded the kernel and unzipped it and used winspc to put it in my retropie-setup folder. I then went into terminal and typed tar xf custom_kernel_1.20150216-1.tar.gz. but all I get is cannot open file directory not found.

This is driving me crazy any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

feederchain

Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:40 pm

You say that you unzip it before moving to your Pi. I think that is where you went wrong. Copy the *.tar.gz file as is. You are then running the tar -xf command on the file you downloaded. This will create the directory that you cd into next. Where the install script is held. Which is what you are running in the third command.

julieno

Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:08 am

Works like a charm, thanks feederchain!

vulga

Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:09 pm

Registered just to say thanks for this help.

There is no way I would have figured this out myself. Worked perfectly!

mangui14

Wed May 20, 2015 4:53 pm

Zubyzub wrote:Yes i did and it's working event better than before :] Now you'll get two separate devices, so you don't have to bypass anything in emulation station or such. You'll directly see two joysticks :] Now it's up to guys from Raspbian, i don't have rights to commit that change, they have to do it. I just create a pull request.

Hi, i´m having the same problem and i can´t fix it, can you help me??

pasnox

Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:05 pm

Tested the waiting pull request for the linux kernel from Zubyzub (https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/pull/828/files) - awesome , it does just works fine!

I just followed this page to cross build the patched kernel (https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... uilding.md)

Thanks u.

Return to “Gaming”