chaoticlapras

R-Pi MMORPG Community Project (UNDERWAY/NEEDS MORE HELP)

Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:49 pm

(thanks to Liddy for the banner!)

It should be an MMORPG. It won't be. More like an MORPG, but it will happen! Even if each client helped hosting a part of the server (which is how it would be), there's no way it will be a MASSIVELY multiplayer online roleplaying game.

So, this idea is theoretically possible. A central server could be a pi cluster, maybe 32*B+? That could handle the strain, and some external hard drives for holding some of the data. A client would connect, the model and whether clustered or not could be checked out (?) along with network speed, and if possible, part of the hosting would be shunted along to the client.

If I'm to work on the project, I'd probably push for OpenGLES in C++, but if I can amass enough people that would help with the project that want, say, Python, then that would be a possibility. I think we should probably see what is most resource-efficient on the pi, however.

Gameplay-wise, I'm not sure. I'm a big WoW addict and something around that sort of style would be nice, but graphics would have to be turned down immensely, and whether the pi could cope with something of that scale would be questionable (the family computer of 4GB RAM, 2.6GHZ CPU (I can't remember other specs) runs it at ~35fps comfortably). Features would have to be turned down and made lag-free as possible.

Obviously, open-source it completely. There's no point doing otherwise, and this way, the community can support the project.

Please don't knock the idea unless you're suggesting a problem with it. I do have some experience designing a 3D multiplayer game, so I can contribute to the project, but I'd need the support of the community for this one: no way am I working on an MMO on my own.

Project's blog: http://rpimmo.blogspot.co.uk/

First entry (1st February 2015): http://rpimmo.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/a- ... point.html (READ BEFORE POSTING, PLEASE)

Second entry (24th February 2015): http://rpimmo.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/an ... later.html (READ BEFORE POSTING, PLEASE)

Last edited by chaoticlapras on Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:44 pm, edited 6 times in total.
This space is reserved for something actually useful, and will probably never be filled.

chaoticlapras

Re: Pi MORPG (or, 'My Impossible Idea')

Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:21 pm

I've spent the past few hours working out a basic plot/quest line and have set up a spare pi for testing.

I need help and support to keep going, is anyone interested in this idea, or can help with it?
This space is reserved for something actually useful, and will probably never be filled.

chaoticlapras

Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:24 pm

You guys are helpful. I really do need support to get this project off the ground! I can't do pixel art, let alone 3D modelling!

Update:

I've got some basic OpenGLES skills now. I already knew OpenGL3, so it was a fairly easy shift.

I got a triangular prism rendered on the screen, which I could orbit the camera around, and zoom, using both the mouse and the keyboard.

Now to try and get a basic server-client thing set up, no?

Sidenote: http://pimmo.org/ isn't claimed, so if I progress far enough into the project, I'll go with that for the URL. I'll also edit this post in a bit when I get a blog set up for this. If anyone has a large enough cluster already that they're interested in giving over to this project (if it reaches a point where it's possible), please contact me!

I'm available at [email protected]

chaoticlapras

Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:13 pm

I've created a blog with information about the project. This will be the main output for any information, but I will try to post here whenever possible, as this is our main link to the community. http://rpimmo.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/a- ... point.html

Remember, to keep this project going, I NEED community support. There's no way I can develop an MMO on my own, even a simple one for the pi.

Hiradur

Re: R-Pi MMORPG Community Project (UNDERWAY/NEEDS MORE HELP)

Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:52 am

Do you want to run both client and server on RPis?
I think that a project like this is too much work with all the assets etc. However, with the Pi2 out, it may be possible to port Planeshift, an already existing open source MMORPG to the RPi.

Have a look at Planeshift. It's been in development for 15 years or something and still isn't finished. This should give you an idea of what time frame a project like this may take.

jackjt8

Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:15 am

I would be interested in helping... but alas. I don't have any major skills other than programming... in VB.NET (Collage).

However! I am a community manager for a currently in development mmorpg called Blades of Ascension Online. (You can research it yourself) We ran into some problems with Unity regarding the networking... Put simply, even if you can make an engine and all that, turning it into an MMO is the hard part. Rather than have anyone waste their time researching the subject... I've got a nice folder with it all in. Please excuse my poor note taking skills and my lack of sources on some of it... but it should all be there.

Google Drive Link With Folder (Check the file named 'MMO Network Architecture.doc') - - https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
Beep Boop

chaoticlapras

Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:23 pm

@Hiradur that was the original plan, yes, to have a fully pi-d experience. However, honestly, it may be easier just to have the servers hosted on a proper server system that isn't pi. Ooh, that one looks interesting. I'll take a look in a second and see if I can sort it out.

@JackJT8 Oh my god, thank you. That's really helpful. If you really want to help, I do need some support getting this out there, as I'm bad at publicity-wise things. And someone needs to be the face of this, as for the past few days I haven't checked this thread due to sitting programming. But massive thanks for that link, it's really informative and helpful, now I can have a checklist.

Progress update so far, I'll post a blog entry in a minute: I've got some work on an engine going. Just sorting the single player experience before the server-wise stuff as it's needed to have something to test when connecting. But I can render some basic graphics, and move a character. I made a square come up when clicking on a certain green blob, which is nice, but have hit a block server-wise as my current setup has no way of handling a server. I'm probably going to have a cluster of RPi 2s, if the pis host it.

We need a launcher system for it, too.

List of people needed to have something vaguely usable beta-wise within 6 months:

Graphics designer (2D) * 2-4;
Graphics designer (3D) * 4-6
Developer (engine) * 2 (not including myself)
Developer (server) * 3
Sound designer * 2
World designer * 1 (not including myself)

Resources to have something playable:

RPi Cluster capable of taking the load (I need to estimate what we need for this still), with lots of storage.
Server system (connection, hosting everything for the game except stuff downloaded by the player)
A client for the players.
A launcher for the players

To get these we'll need to buy pis (obvious, unless someone has a ready-made cluster with a fast Internet connection that can be donated for 24/7 use), server based off https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing (MMO Network Structure, thanks again!), an engine for quests, server connections, etc, graphics, sounds.

Next update in a few days. Anyone interested in helping with any of those roles? If you PM me an email address or email [email protected], I'll email you back. Thanks.

chaoticlapras

Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:38 pm

jackjt8's been assigned the role of community manager so I can ignore all of you guys

Coding-wise, been a little busy so not got much done, you'll see in the next big update ._.

ajusa

Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:21 pm

Hello,

I am pretty interested in something like this. I know some C++, enough to write my own classes and functions. I have never done 3d programming. I would like to help you, if you want. I might be able to work on server stuff. I have a Rpi Model b (512 mb of ram).

If there are any links related to this that you could send, it would be very appreciated.

Liddy

Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:39 am

I was looking through this and saw how you compare what you want to make almost to the likes of WoW. How about something along the lines of Eve? It sounds like a stretch but it would be quite an interesting game if so!

PangolinPaws

Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:08 pm

I've been quietly following for a little while now, so I thought I'd say hello. This whole thing sounds like an incredible idea and you certainly give the impression that you know what you’re doing.

I would love to help, but I'm not sure if my programming ability (only competent in Python, really - I just dabble in other languages!) is high enough to be of much use at the moment.

Even so, I want your project to succeed and you're right, the more people that know/are involved the more likely that is.
https://github.com/PangolinPaw

jackjt8

Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:03 pm

chaoticlapras, I found this thread http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4489 while I was searching for something. We might find something useful in there.
ajusa wrote:Hello,

I am pretty interested in something like this. I know some C++, enough to write my own classes and functions. I have never done 3d programming. I would like to help you, if you want. I might be able to work on server stuff. I have a Rpi Model b (512 mb of ram).

If there are any links related to this that you could send, it would be very appreciated.
Me and chaoticlapras did some talking about the project and all, all things considered, the servers would defiantly need to be RPi2s. The increased processing power would greatly improve the overall player experience. You will have to wait to hear back from chaoticlapras on the matter, but you will just need to be considerate of what the Pi2 is capable of. Being that it is has more RAM, multi-cored, NEON and whatever else.
Liddy wrote:I was looking through this and saw how you compare what you want to make almost to the likes of WoW. How about something along the lines of Eve? It sounds like a stretch but it would be quite an interesting game if so!
From my understanding, we are aiming for a Fantasy styled (M)MORPG with influences from WoW. Well be it with lower graphics.
There is a space combat game that is already out for the Pi. It's called Iridium Rising. Here's a link to the forum post http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 83&t=26081 and here's the site http://iridiumrising.co.uk/. I don't know if it's still being worked on... Your idea is certainly interesting, maybe someone will...
PangolinPaws wrote:I've been quietly following for a little while now, so I thought I'd say hello. This whole thing sounds like an incredible idea and you certainly give the impression that you know what you’re doing.

I would love to help, but I'm not sure if my programming ability (only competent in Python, really - I just dabble in other languages!) is high enough to be of much use at the moment.

Even so, I want your project to succeed and you're right, the more people that know/are involved the more likely that is.
Well, there is always time to learn another language! Well, even if you don't, being able to pseudo-code and conceptualize solutions to problems will be a great asset either way. As I mentioned in my reply to someone else, you'll have to wait for chaoticlapras to reply. He's the project leader and all that.
Beep Boop

PangolinPaws

Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:09 pm

jackjt8 wrote:Well, there is always time to learn another language! Well, even if you don't, being able to pseudo-code and conceptualize solutions to problems will be a great asset either way. As I mentioned in my reply to someone else, you'll have to wait for chaoticlapras to reply. He's the project leader and all that.
Yes indeed, and what better incentive to learn something new than a communal project? I'll keep watching this thread for chaoticlapras!

chaoticlapras

Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:07 pm

I've been emailing Liddy and he's sent me some AMAZING logo/banners for the project, which I've put at the top and bottom of the main post!

I've been reasonably busy in real life but have made some more progress, luckily, an update will come reasonably soon. Sorry for not checking the thread.

@ajusa there's a file jack linked earlier in the thread about server structure, if you're interested, else I'm not sure. We're pretty definitely hosting on pi2s, and HOPEFULLY original pis will be connected: pi2s are now the priority. More info later.

@Liddy Yeah, the project's going to be a fantasy style thing unless LOTS of people are going for a sci-fi thing. However, I think multiple pi mmos in development is a BAD idea, the community will be split and both will be much slower: in a month I've managed to get some openGLES tests working on an original pi, and a LAN system thing telling one pi what to show...

@PangolinPaws We'd definitely appreciate you, even if you don't have the C++/OpenGLES/Server skills we need: anyone that has some coding experience would be helpful as you can a) learn as we go if you like and b) conceptualise solutions.

@jackjt8 I'll get on email in a bit and talk: my phone died. Thanks! (EDIT: I've seen the thread previously and bookmarked it, I need to go through in more detail as I was just skimming it. I need to see what can be gleaned from there)

chaoticlapras

Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:58 pm

We've had a massive surge of interest in the last few days, so this project is really starting to take off!

Thanks guys for the interest and emailing me, I'm getting more on top of real life things and can dedicate more time to the project now, so hopefully we should make loads of progress!

Special thanks to Liddy for the AMAZING banners that he's sent me: we've been discussing it and he's probably going to do art, other people aren't quite as sure at the moment!

I'm going to add a major update on the BLOG in a bit, which I'll spoiler into the first post, I guess.

EDIT: here it is

http://rpimmo.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/an ... later.html

clockworktheif

Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:12 pm

Hello all,
Was looking around for something to do with my new pi, maybe make a MUD, and stumbled upon this. I have no real coding skills at the mo, but am always open to learning things, and saw you had a world designer position open, which Id love to fill if you'll have me.

I cant wait to see what comes of this project overall.

clockworktheif

chaoticlapras

Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:04 am

@clockworktheif Oh, cool! What model did you get, a 2?

It's always useful to learn new languages: I'd recommend C++ if you're interested in working with us on any coding things. For world design and stuff it won't be ready for a while, I need to create an engine etc for that use. We'd love to have you, but that role will be fairly useless for a month at least ._.

However, if you email me at [email protected] I can add you to the skype group and mailing list, and you can help out as soon as that's possible.

Thanks!

jwcolby54

Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:06 pm

Hi guys, I am John Colby and have been invited to join the team. I think that eventually we will be using GIT. Some of us may be using Visual Studio and cross compiling.

I found this video about installing GIT and getting it running with Visual Studio.

Good to watch.

jwc

Hiradur

Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:04 pm

Problem is Visual Studio doesn't comply with the C++ standard (only to Visual C++) and allows a lot of code which is not standard C++ and thus won't get compiled by GCC or any other compiler. For an example see my fixes for Rigs of Rods to make it compile on GCC again: https://github.com/RigsOfRods/rigs-of-rods/pull/8
It's looks like it's small and simple but trust me, it will be annoying to clean up after Visual Studio every time.

It's just a warning though, take it or leave it.

chaoticlapras

Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:49 pm

Brief update to team members:

John Colby/jwcolby54's working on server-client connections.
Liddy's working with general research and pseudocode.
ClockworkTheif's going with world design (not got stuff ready for him to do, though).
PangolinPaw's probably working on server side stuff also
Dr. G/pegisi is working on graphics and has made a few test things already!

Yay for new team members and PROGRESS!

This project is really getting moving! I'm hoping to get something runnable within a few months: not a game but a sort of test of a few mechanics.

PangolinPaws

Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:18 am

Exciting stuff!

I'm assuming that you've always pictured the final game being played with mouse & keyboard, but might I suggest we design it in such a way that a player could build a controller using the Pi's GPIO pins?

I.E. Limit the number of buttons needed to work the main functions to 4 or 5 plus a direction pad.

This would likely widen the audience by changing it from 'just a game' to an interactive project with educational merit. Much the same as the python interface has done for Minecraft Pi.

Outputting signals to the GPIO would make this even more of a feature (I'm thinking GPIO 4 goes HIGH when damage is received) but lets start small!

Creating a control scheme is a long way off of course, but if we think about it now it could make our lives easier in the long run.

What do you all think?

jackjt8

Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:01 am

PangolinPaws wrote:Exciting stuff!

I'm assuming that you've always pictured the final game being played with mouse & keyboard, but might I suggest we design it in such a way that a player could build a controller using the Pi's GPIO pins?
This is certainly an interesting idea. Certainly make for some interesting playthroughs... It shouldn't be to hard to allow I/O over GPIO, question is, is GPIO responsive enough to be used as a controller? Well, either way, it'll be something cool we can do.
Beep Boop

PangolinPaws

Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:29 pm

jackjt8 wrote: This is certainly an interesting idea. Certainly make for some interesting playthroughs... It shouldn't be to hard to allow I/O over GPIO, question is, is GPIO responsive enough to be used as a controller? Well, either way, it'll be something cool we can do.
I'm not picturing this game as a lightning-quick-young-folk-reflexes-required sort of thing, so I assumed that the GPIO would be responsive enough.

Any sort of integration with the things that make the Pi unique can only be a good thing. Why else have we all joined in on the crazy idea of building this all on the little computer? :D

3corey2

Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:49 pm

how close are you? i cant wait to see this game! told some friends about it!!! :D
ras pi 2, gotta love it.

chaoticlapras

Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:46 pm

3corey2 wrote:how close are you? i cant wait to see this game! told some friends about it!!! :D
Give us 4 months and we'll have a basic prototype that will be publicly usable. That's my goal, anyway. By end of june. Then by the end of the year an alpha-esque thing.

@Pangolin hmmm. The GPIO actually works amazingly as a SNES controller etc, but I'm concerned about how many buttons will need to be pressed, and mouse input would be needed, so. We'll see. That'll be something for in the future: the first prototype's just going to be keyboard and mouse as I just want to test the engine basics etc.

Return to “Gaming”