PuppetHoundZ
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:57 am

Re: recalboxOS - emulation platform for RPi and RPi2

Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:45 pm

expandables wrote:Can you make a version with Raspbian install and have a menu with startx?

I don't believe he can because this OS is built on ArchLinux not Raspbian. But maybe he could include a duo boot feature with the NOOBS installer. I asked him about that already ;)

User avatar
DigitalLumberjack
Posts: 336
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 8:55 am
Location: France
Contact: Website

Re: recalboxOS - emulation platform for RPi and RPi2

Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:21 am

@PuppetHoundZ thank for info, i'm on it.
PuppetHoundZ wrote:I don't believe he can because this OS is built on ArchLinux not Raspbian. But maybe he could include a duo boot feature with the NOOBS installer. I asked him about that already
You're wrong. The os is not based on any distribution. It's a buildroot based embedded system. You can consider it as a full-fledged distribution :)

And i tried to add raspbian support in recalbox-rescue, it did not work, and as it is not the priority now, i'll take a look later.

bonesai
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:42 pm

Re: recalboxOS - emulation platform for RPi and RPi2

Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:29 am

Hi

I'm looking for an all in one console/mame frontend as nothing else seems to work on RPi2 right now.

I want to use a custom built arcade control panel which is using a keyboard emulator (iPac) - will this work on your system if you've made it console controller only? Can i still use the keyboard if i want to?

Thanks

Bonesai

User avatar
DigitalLumberjack
Posts: 336
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 8:55 am
Location: France
Contact: Website

Re: recalboxOS - emulation platform for RPi and RPi2

Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:36 am

bonesai wrote:I want to use a custom built arcade control panel which is using a keyboard emulator (iPac) - will this work on your system if you've made it console controller only?
Hi, if ipac create an hid keyboard, it will not work. (or you will have to modify many config files)
But many people use GPIO instead of usb interfaces.
It can be done because https://github.com/DigitalLumberjack/mk ... ystick_rpi is full supported in recalboxOS.
bonesai wrote: Can i still use the keyboard if i want to?
You can use the keyboard to navigate in the frontend, but game launcher need configured controllers.

User avatar
DigitalLumberjack
Posts: 336
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 8:55 am
Location: France
Contact: Website

Re: recalboxOS - emulation platform for RPi and RPi2

Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:28 am

PuppetHoundZ wrote:Nothing else has problem. It receive input on both controls without having to press Xbox 360 controller.js
for Js1 the controller provide a line of code on command line for each button press.

I really hope this helps

Does Pulling the power plug on a RecalBoxOS cause the same sort of Card corruption like Raspbian? Just asking because whenever I configure the special Universal USB converter it makes my system go to a black screen and I can only SSH the thing. Wish this thing had some sort of Wifi Setup.

Also I have an official PS3 Controller and it won't work wired or wireless for me. Is it because it's official instead of the ones you sell the OS with?

PS your OS is the Best I've used so Far! RetroPie was hard to setup even with tutorials it's very buggy for me. I install roms and they won't start it always puts me back to Emulation Station.

Also because of your amazing OS I went and got a SNES USB controller. I hope it works well I tested first with SNES9x on Windows now for RecalBox's PocketSNES.


FINAL UPDATE! I tried with a SNES USB controller and it does the same issue where you have to press a button from the 1st player controller to allow player 2's controller to work! Hope you can fix this
Also you're extreme clock setting voids the Pi Warrenty I just checked my Pi with my other OS. You voided me! But it's no big deal I guess it's the nature of Raspberry Pi learning Also I'm glad I voided my warrenty with your software rather than somthing else. You're work is awesome. Please don't void me when I get Raspberry Pi 2 the stock clock should be very good on Pi2.
Thanks for all info, i created issues here : https://github.com/digitalLumberjack/recalbox-os/issues feel free to comment, or add new issues if needed. It's simplier for me to have issues on github to work.

User avatar
DigitalLumberjack
Posts: 336
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 8:55 am
Location: France
Contact: Website

Re: recalboxOS - emulation platform for RPi and RPi2

Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:40 am

Could you start a game, verify it doesn't work with two controllers, quit the game, quit the frontend and give me the content of /recalbox/config/retroarch/retroarchcustom.cfg and files in /recalbox/config/retroarch/input ?

feel free to use http://pastebin.com/

mgoulart
Posts: 126
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:56 am
Location: Rio de Janeiro - Brazil

Re: recalboxOS - emulation platform for RPi and RPi2

Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:04 pm

digitalLumberJack,

I open an issue on Github, about running few SNK games on piFBA that result on Black Screen (Kof 2002, for example). Did you successfully emulated this game?

User avatar
DigitalLumberjack
Posts: 336
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 8:55 am
Location: France
Contact: Website

Re: recalboxOS - emulation platform for RPi and RPi2

Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:44 pm

Hi marcelo !
Yep kof2002 and 2003 pass ok on pifba.
Check your roms version. I used clrmamepro with the fba dat file from : https://pifba.googlecode.com/git/fba_02 ... me_dat.zip

PuppetHoundZ
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:57 am

Re: recalboxOS - emulation platform for RPi and RPi2

Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:54 pm

DigitalLumberjack wrote:
Thanks for all info, i created issues here : https://github.com/digitalLumberjack/recalbox-os/issues feel free to comment, or add new issues if needed. It's simplier for me to have issues on github to work.
I just wanted to first suggest. Maybe there is a way for you to not force turbo when using Extreme settings on Pi1.
(I'm glad you're not forcing turbo on Turbo clock and High and Default) I believe the Force_Turbo=1 on Extreme is what breaks the warranty, possibly the over-volt but at that setting it would need the over-volt. But if it's unstable with force turbo off; I noticed when I turned off force turbo in the config.txt the Pi wouldn't even boot. In Raspbian with force_turbo off I runs fine probably due to the "On demand Scale manager"

I would not recommend going beyond the Pi2's turbo for Pi2. The reason why is because I feel the Pi2's default clock should be sufficent for most future applications (also just to be on the safe side with warranty stuff) because I saw the PS1 games running in your video and all that needs to be optimized is muti-threading support and all those problems will go away.
DigitalLumberjack wrote: Could you start a game, verify it doesn't work with two controllers, quit the game, quit the frontend and give me the content of /recalbox/config/retroarch/retroarchcustom.cfg and files in /recalbox/config/retroarch/input ?

feel free to use http://pastebin.com/
Config:
http://www.pastebin.com/v5JW2Y8h
Will Expire in 1 week for all links

Xbox config:
http://www.pastebin.com/67KsCU3U

USB Gamepad:
http://www.pastebin.com/YpzmX7du


I can always post the code here on forums if you want just let me now.
Last edited by PuppetHoundZ on Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
DigitalLumberjack
Posts: 336
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 8:55 am
Location: France
Contact: Website

Re: recalboxOS - emulation platform for RPi and RPi2

Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:13 pm

PuppetHoundZ wrote:I just wanted to first suggest. Maybe there is a way for you to not force turbo when using Extreme settings on Pi1.
(I'm glad you're not forcing turbo on Turbo clock and High and Default) I believe the Force_Turbo=1 on Extreme is what breaks the warranty, possibly the over-volt but at that setting it would need the over-volt. But if it's unstable with force turbo off; I noticed when I turned off force turbo in the config.txt the Pi wouldn't even boot. In Raspbian with force_turbo off I runs fine probably due to the "On demand Scale manager"
Yeah i forced turbo because it was the only way to make the rpi stable with extrem overclock. I changed the default setting to turbo for rpi1, and let user pass to extrem if they want :)
PuppetHoundZ wrote:I would not recommend going beyond the Pi2's turbo for Pi2. The reason why is because I feel the Pi2's default clock should be sufficent for most future applications (also just to be on the safe side with warranty stuff) because I saw the PS1 games running in your video and all that needs to be optimized is muti-threading support and all those problems will go away.
Pi 2 is not overclocked and you do not have overclock menu for now.

For the issue with controllers, i'm on it. No idea what it could be for now...

PuppetHoundZ
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:57 am

Re: recalboxOS - emulation platform for RPi and RPi2

Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:30 pm

DigitalLumberjack wrote: Yeah i forced turbo because it was the only way to make the rpi stable with extreme overclock. I changed the default setting to turbo for rpi1, and let user pass to extreme if they want :)

Pi 2 is not overclocked and you do not have overclock menu for now.

For the issue with controllers, i'm on it. No idea what it could be for now...
Thanks for the prompt reply and I'm glad to help. Keep me posted if you want data from the other controller setup. This one is with a Xbox360 Controller (official one not off brand) and a Retrolink Classic SNES USB Controller.

The other setup was with a USB converter but now that I got a SNES controller I was able to replicate the issue. I should try next a setup without the Xbox Controller to see for sure the Xbox Controller is an issue. If I'm correct I'll update this same post.

Update: I'm wrong it happens in all cases for me. I unplugged Xbox360 controller and plugged in my Universal USB converted that allows me to use PSone controllers and I kept my SNES USB controller plugged in and it still wouldn't allow me to use 2nd controller without press and holding a button on player 1.

Update 2: Just wanted to say since you're using a custom "Extreme overclock" you may want to put a menu disclaimer saying this Extreme clock may void your Pi's warranty if you choose to use it. Just a suggestion, because there will be people out there that will be very upset about that. I was at first :cry: but I'm over it because: 1. it was $35 dollars. 2. Getting it repaired or returned if a technical fault would cost more money than probably buying a new one. 3. In the long run I really want to eventually buy a Pi2 :geek: . But I'm sure most would agree that knowing about the possibility of getting warranty voided with Extreme would be better than doing it blind and saying crud :evil: ;) :lol:

Update 3: Did some research on ROMs. Due to it's questionable nature I'll be moving on from emualtion to other game options. Keep up the good work DigitalLumberJack. :geek:

Update 4: The Controller issue was specific to a ROM. So if you encounter and issue as mentioned above. Try out a different ROM with multi-player.
Last edited by PuppetHoundZ on Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.

mgoulart
Posts: 126
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:56 am
Location: Rio de Janeiro - Brazil

Re: recalboxOS - emulation platform for RPi and RPi2

Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:28 am

It's working! Thanks LumberJack!!!

etimm
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:26 pm

Re: recalboxOS - emulation platform for RPi and RPi2

Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:36 pm

DigitalLumberjack you did a great Job!
Although I do like to tinker with the Pi, for my Raspberry Pi 2 I was looking for an out of the box emulation solution. I've tried RetroPie and recalboxOS. And I must admit I was very pleased with the smooth en fast perfomance (and bootup) of recalboxOS!
However N64 controls are a bit buggy (Golden Eye is unplayable) and I do miss ScummVM support :(
Is there any way to get ScummVM to work?

User avatar
DigitalLumberjack
Posts: 336
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 8:55 am
Location: France
Contact: Website

Re: recalboxOS - emulation platform for RPi and RPi2

Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:23 pm

etimm wrote:However N64 controls are a bit buggy (Golden Eye is unplayable) and I do miss ScummVM support
That's why i specified "BETA", should have said "ALPHA" ;)
etimm wrote: Is there any way to get ScummVM to work?
Maybe really soon.
mgoulart wrote:It's working! Thanks LumberJack!!!
You're welcome

lmacky
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:30 pm

Re: recalboxOS - emulation platform for RPi and RPi2

Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:01 pm

Hey LumberJack you keeping your eye on this? http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 8&t=100076 looks promising :D

User avatar
DigitalLumberjack
Posts: 336
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 8:55 am
Location: France
Contact: Website

Re: recalboxOS - emulation platform for RPi and RPi2

Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:04 pm

lmacky wrote:Hey LumberJack you keeping your eye on this? http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 8&t=100076 looks promising :D
Of course ;) i'm just too busy with few things you may like in the next release. Beside that, i'm not sure i want to add buggy emulators in recalboxOS, the N64 in beta version is problematic enough :)

But i'm going to test that on my rpi2 really soon !

lmacky
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:30 pm

Re: recalboxOS - emulation platform for RPi and RPi2

Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:27 pm

oooh looking forward to the next release, any teasers for what the new stuff is? if its a media player/plex client I wont ever need to eject my sd card again :D :D

mgoulart
Posts: 126
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:56 am
Location: Rio de Janeiro - Brazil

Re: recalboxOS - emulation platform for RPi and RPi2

Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:29 pm

I'm trying to play MSX games but my controller didn't work. All games that I tried runs very well but my controller didn't work.
Is it necessary any custom configuration on RetroArch to make it work?

Thanks again Lumberjack!

PuppetHoundZ
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:57 am

Re: recalboxOS - emulation platform for RPi and RPi2

Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:32 pm

If you decide to include:

-PRBoom in this.
Please include:
----Freedoom with it.
(Freedoom is included in Debian repo)

- ScummVM:
Please include:
----Beneath a Steel Sky
----Flight of the Amazon Queen.
(both of those are in Debian repo.)
I have no idea how you would emulate a controller for this so it may not be a great a idea.
But this may be a good start:
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php ... c0c7ca0386
and here:
http://blog.petrockblock.com/forums/top ... -keyboard/
And For Virtual Keyboard in ScummVM:
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Virtual_Keyboard

Also can you make a way for PSX or PlayStation 1 Games to be played via disc with USB CD Drive? (It would be awesome, if possible and reasonable for your project.)


PS. The Issue I had earlier has been resolved it was a Game issue not a controller issue: http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 64#p694464
Oh yeah and your emulator is the best most trouble free version availble. RetroPie could learn a thing or to from what you're doing to help make usage much simpler.

User avatar
DigitalLumberjack
Posts: 336
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 8:55 am
Location: France
Contact: Website

Re: recalboxOS - emulation platform for RPi and RPi2

Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:56 pm

mgoulart wrote:I'm trying to play MSX games but my controller didn't work. All games that I tried runs very well but my controller didn't work.
Is it necessary any custom configuration on RetroArch to make it work?

Thanks again Lumberjack!
Hi pal, yeah only keyboard sadly for fmsx core. I should add bluemsx...

User avatar
DigitalLumberjack
Posts: 336
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 8:55 am
Location: France
Contact: Website

Re: recalboxOS - emulation platform for RPi and RPi2

Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:01 pm

PuppetHoundZ wrote:Please include:
----Beneath a Steel Sky
----Flight of the Amazon Queen.
(both of those are in Debian repo.)
Hi dude,
Debian repo doesn't help me as i'm building all from source :)
PuppetHoundZ wrote:Also can you make a way for PSX or PlayStation 1 Games to be played via disc with USB CD Drive? (It would be awesome, if possible and reasonable for your project.)
Nope i don't think it will be possible, but why don't you rip your games ?
PuppetHoundZ wrote:Oh yeah and your emulator is the best most trouble free version availble. RetroPie could learn a thing or to from what you're doing to help make usage much simpler.
Thank you :)
lmacky wrote:oooh looking forward to the next release, any teasers for what the new stuff is? if its a media player/plex client I wont ever need to eject my sd card again
Just few hours to wait ...

User avatar
DigitalLumberjack
Posts: 336
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 8:55 am
Location: France
Contact: Website

Re: recalboxOS - emulation platform for RPi and RPi2

Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:17 pm

Release v3.2.0 :
https://github.com/digitalLumberjack/re ... tag/v3.2.0
  • - added scummvm (see the wiki https://github.com/digitalLumberjack/re ... mmvm-games)
    - added kodi media center (press X in frontend)
    - corrected network issue
    - added wifi support and wifi configuration in frontend
    - added keyboard support when no gamepad
    - removed overclock totally from fresh install. Use the overclock setting to pass to extrem (void warranty but awesome result)
Of course i will need your feedback on network configuration and wifi dongle support !

lmacky
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:30 pm

Re: recalboxOS - emulation platform for RPi and RPi2

Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:51 pm

Hey thanks for the update been sat eagerly waiting for it all evening. the update went without a hitch :D
wifi network setup fine with my small comfast dongle, can get more details of dongle if needed.
could we have the password hidden once set please as if someone gets my box they will be able to see both my network name and password :D
Kodi loads and streams media from my network fantastically cant believe you got this working :D :D :D. would it be possible to make the controllers work in kodi as I had to switch to a kbd/mouse when I mainly use my wired 360 controller my recalbox setup :D. also while im being cheeky and requesting things would it be possible for kodi to have its own tile like the emulators do rather than having to launch it with the x button or from the menu please?
not had chance to try scumm on here yet but looking forward to some monkey island fun :D
Thanks for all your hard work its really appreciated and is making this noobs life so much easier and full of retro fun times :D

PuppetHoundZ
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:57 am

Re: recalboxOS - emulation platform for RPi and RPi2

Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:02 pm

Awesome update.

Does ScummVM work with Gamepad?
How does the OS Map the Controls to Gamepad for ScummVM?

Good work on the update for Wifi, Kodi and now using Default Clock.

Kodi support is really going to make your OS the go to for a all in one Super Entertainment Center OS if you keep this up.

Next up you should Port NXEngine version of Cave Story and PRBoom (with Freedoom Included if you can) ;)

Then you're OS will play all the games I own already excluding SuperTux and Alex4.

I'll test out the Wifi dongle when I can. Keep in mind this is the one I use:
http://blog.broadcom.com/raspberry-pi/w ... ess-power/

mgoulart
Posts: 126
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:56 am
Location: Rio de Janeiro - Brazil

Re: recalboxOS - emulation platform for RPi and RPi2

Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:56 pm

DigitalLumberjack wrote:Release v3.2.0 :
https://github.com/digitalLumberjack/re ... tag/v3.2.0
  • - added wifi support and wifi configuration in frontend
Of course i will need your feedback on network configuration and wifi dongle support !
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'm feeling like that boy opening the Nintendo 64!!!!!! Thanks!!!

Return to “Gaming”