DigitalLumberjack

Re: recalboxOS - emulation platform for RPi and RPi2

Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:43 am

C-Fu wrote: So what went wrong? Any advice? Is there any way of getting a list of modes that my monitor accepts? (I'm thinking of using raspbian or something, and input some command in terminal? No idea really)
So can you erase every hdmi_* from the config.txt (you are editing it from the boot partition on the sdcard right ? ) and just let

Code: Select all

hdmi_safe=1 
?
If no image then try

hdmi_mode=1
hdmi_group=1

Can you try on an other TV too to be sure it's the issue ?

If it still doesn't work , you can launch the rescue. Then ALT+F2. Credential root and raspberry, and check what

tvservice -s
returns. It's the current mode. For supported modes :

tvservice -m DMT
jayminer wrote:I just tried this and got the exact same problem as with your rpi2-recalbox-image on this card. So it's definitely a noobs-problem!
Could you report your sdcard mark and version on https://github.com/raspberrypi/noobs/issues/230 or just tell me here i'll do it.

DigitalLumberjack

Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:51 am

jutleys wrote:I have a new pi2 so I will be joining in on the testing today and report back here.
Welcome on board :)

jutleys

Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:51 pm

Just tried on my pi2 formatted a sandisk 8gb card fat32 via windows copied and extracted the contents into root. I booted sd card in pi installed the os and it rebooted it loads up no sound but i can navigate every option is greyed out when i try to select a option it just quits back i have not put any roms on yet not sure how and where cant see a share folder on root sd card/.

DigitalLumberjack

Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:58 pm

jutleys wrote:Just tried on my pi2 formatted a sandisk 8gb card fat32 via windows copied and extracted the contents into root. I booted sd card in pi installed the os and it rebooted it loads up no sound but i can navigate every option is greyed out when i try to select a option it just quits back i have not put any roms on yet not sure how and where cant see a share folder on root sd card/.
Did you read the wiki ? https://github.com/digitalLumberjack/recalbox-os/wiki

DigitalLumberjack

Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:03 pm

UPDATE V-3.1.0 :
- Created unified installer. Download the recalboxOS.zip whatever your pi revision is !
https://github.com/digitalLumberjack/re ... tag/v3.1.1

I'm searching for a dude who connected and configured it's xbox controller on the recalbox. If you could send me the /root/.emulationstation/es_input.cfg i could add it in the release to have a preconfigured xbox controller, like the PS3 controller.

jutleys

Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:02 pm

That would be awesome I tried Xbox controller wired would not work.

DigitalLumberjack

Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:08 pm

jutleys wrote:That would be awesome I tried Xbox controller wired would not work.
You still have to go in the menu and configure your controllers.

jayminer

Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:36 pm

DigitalLumberjack wrote:Could you report your sdcard mark and version on https://github.com/raspberrypi/noobs/issues/230 or just tell me here i'll do it.
Can I get any more info about the card in some way other than just looking at it? For now I have no working OS on the card so I can't check what the kernel reports but I could write Raspbian and boot that if it helps

Anyway, the info I can get from looking at it is that It's a 8GB SanDisk Class 2 card, probably quite old.

jutleys

Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:02 pm

Problem I am having on my pi2 is it won't let me select any options settings menu I can navigate but nothing else clean install do you need a network connection maybe as I don't have it connected in any way.

DigitalLumberjack

Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:23 pm

jutleys wrote:Problem I am having on my pi2 is it won't let me select any options settings menu I can navigate but nothing else clean install do you need a network connection maybe as I don't have it connected in any way.
From the first post and the wiki :
If you want to use an USB controller, plug an usb keyboard, press ENTER, then go to "Configure Inputs", and use S to accept. Use S again to launch the controller configuration, and follow instructions.

Use Q to go back.

DigitalLumberjack

Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:25 pm

jayminer wrote: Can I get any more info about the card in some way other than just looking at it? For now I have no working OS on the card so I can't check what the kernel reports but I could write Raspbian and boot that if it helps

Anyway, the info I can get from looking at it is that It's a 8GB SanDisk Class 2 card, probably quite old.
Ok it's better than nothing i'll report that :)

robotron

Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:45 pm

Great project thanks!

Got recalbox up and running on my Pi2 with a usb clone of a snes game pad. Console work great
but having issues with Mame.

I can get into a game in Mame no problem but am unable to coin up to actually play, I've tried all
the usual mame keyboard commands including "5" for coin and "tab" to enter the mame config
menu but none respond. With my Select set at the hotkey I can get into the RetroArch menu.

Any ideas?

topguy

Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:14 pm

Hi,

I really like your project and testing latest version on my brand new Pi2. I can probably provide Norwegian translations some time.

Got some questions of course:
- I'm wondering what the rainbow colored fading/pulsing square in the top right corner means ?
- Can I mute the background music in the menu without modding the theme ?
- I there some logfiles created where I can see why roms doesnt work.. and stuff ?

DigitalLumberjack

Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:52 am

robotron wrote:I can get into a game in Mame no problem but am unable to coin up to actually play, I've tried all
the usual mame keyboard commands including "5" for coin and "tab" to enter the mame config
menu but none respond. With my Select set at the hotkey I can get into the RetroArch menu.

Any ideas?
Hi robotron ! Can you try with an other hotkey ? Reconfigure your pas and set R1 a the hotkey (as it has no shortcut) and try again in mame4all. I think this is an issue with mame4all core, i'll check it.
topguy wrote:- I'm wondering what the rainbow colored fading/pulsing square in the top right corner means ?
Hi topguy. Can't wait to add norwegian translation !

The overclock settings by default is extrem. It mean you have a 1100 mhz overclocked raspberry. You also have an overvolted raspberry. You need a good power supply, or you will have this rainbow square telling you the rpi in undervolted. Try to get an all in one >1.5AMP quality power supply :) For now, go in the system setting and set the overclock to turbo.
topguy wrote:- Can I mute the background music in the menu without modding the theme ?
Yep Sound options in the menu

topguy wrote:- I there some logfiles created where I can see why roms doesnt work.. and stuff ?
Yep all logs are in /root (on the root partition)
Emulationstation logs are in /root/.emulationstation/es_log.txt

DigitalLumberjack

Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:54 am

robotron wrote:I can get into a game in Mame no problem but am unable to coin up to actually play, I've tried all

Any ideas?
I checked that, some games doesn't read the select button as a coin addition if you set select as a hotkey....
For now, in the next release, the workaround of recalbox will be to set the hotkey button temporally on L1 when you start mame core AND you have select as the hotkey button.

lmacky

Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:43 pm

Hi again,
I have a working wired 360 controller did u want my config or is it only the wireless one you needed? :D
is there any way to add additional emulators easily? I would like to get the n64 emulator on here if possible and maybe the spectrum one too if possible?

DigitalLumberjack

Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:49 pm

lmacky wrote:Hi again,
I have a working wired 360 controller did u want my config or is it only the wireless one you needed? :D
is there any way to add additional emulators easily? I would like to get the n64 emulator on here if possible and maybe the spectrum one too if possible?
Hi, yes i would like the es_input for the wired 360 controller :)

Easily is not the word, you can add packages in the recalbox-buildroot : https://github.com/digitalLumberjack/re ... s-%28EN%29

lmacky

Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:53 pm

want to pm me your email or somewhere I can upload the file please? :)
was hoping for something easier than that will have to get learning :D

PuppetHoundZ

Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:06 am

I'm going to try this out today. I tried the RetroPie but I find the configuration too confusing. So you project is very promising to me as a good alternative.

Questions:

Since you use Noobs to install RecalBox, will there be any support to add dual booting with Raspbian as well?

Is RecallBox overclocked (what settings) and if so, is it possible to overclock to turbo mode? If it's possible to change the clock settings would I be able to get into Raspi-Config to modify the config.txt to over clock or should I use noobs to modify config.txt?

I'm going to try this out tonight :geek:

Guess I know a lot of my answers soon as I install the OS to my SD card :ugeek:

Update:

I saw that you can overclock but which setting is faster? Turbo or Extreme?
I also noticed you can install OpenElec? Can you someday support the Pi Foundations version of Raspbian as a secondary OS boot?
Last edited by PuppetHoundZ on Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

DigitalLumberjack

Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:12 am

PuppetHoundZ wrote:Since you use Noobs to install RecalBox, will there be any support to add dual booting with Raspbian as well?
Hi, maybe i'll add it later. But i think most people with use recalboxOS as a standalone game platform, in an arcade cab, or as a video game console. So maybe you'll have a second sdcard with your raspbian, or better a second RPi :)
PuppetHoundZ wrote:I saw that you can overclock but which setting is faster? Turbo or Extreme?
Default extrem overclock on rpi1 is the faster. It's in the asc order in the menu.

PuppetHoundZ

Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:59 am

Thanks for the feedback.

So far Single player works great.

I use a Xbox 360 Controller for Player one and it works fine.

But when I hooked up a USB hub that has three different ports (one for a PS1 controller, Xbox (original Xbox) controller and Game Cube Controller Port) designed for a person to use a Game pad from a old retro system to work.

I plug in the second controller and configure it in Emulation Station. All is good until I start a 2 player game for example Donkey Kong Country. When it's player 2 turn I have to hold down a button on the Xbox 360 controller for the 2nd players button presses to be received. When I let go of any button the Xbox360 Controller (player 1 controller) anything player 2 presses on the controller won't respond.

So as a fix or a attempt to fix, I figured it would be a good idea to try to reconfigure both controllers on the Emulation Station menu config thing. When I configure both controllers and then I select the back button the entire Pi Goes to a Black Screen and my TV says no signal. I can't get it out of that and therefore I have to pull the power plug. When I put the power plug back in everything works normal but the issue with the 2nd controller still occurs. I have to hold a button down on controller 1 for any input on controller 2 to cause any action. It's weird. Maybe this help:

The special adapter USB Converter I use allows you to play PS2/PSX controllers, Xbox and Gamecube controllers:
Brand: Gamemon
Sub name: Universal USB Converter
Model No. FT89D91
Made in China
Production Date: 200709

PS: Thus far you're RecalboxOS has been the most successful attempt to get the Raspberry Pi Running as a Fun Retro Game console. I'm also using another SD card to try and Compile a custom version of RetroPie again (I failed at the setup big time yesterday maybe I'll be able to have more success with that) because I want to be able to have both a Desktop like setting while at the same time have nice Emulators for my SNES, Gameboy and Sega Genesis cartridges I still own but put them all in a nice little Pi.

Update: the controller issue is resolved. It's bug specific to certain games being emulated on PocketSNES. Not the Controller Setup/configuration of the OS. If you encounter the issue try a different multiplayer game first before you ask questions here.
Last edited by PuppetHoundZ on Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DigitalLumberjack

Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:44 am

PuppetHoundZ wrote:I plug in the second controller and configure it in Emulation Station. All is good until I start a 2 player game for example Donkey Kong Country. When it's player 2 turn I have to hold down a button on the Xbox 360 controller for the 2nd players button presses to be received. When I let go of any button the Xbox360 Controller (player 1 controller) anything player 2 presses on the controller won't respond.
Can you try to get a terminal (plug a keyboard, press F4, then ALT+F2). Connect with "root" "recalboxroot" and give me the result of each lines :

ls /dev/input
cat /proc/bus/input/devices
cat /root/generateconfig.log 
Can you try you inputs too with jstest :

jstest /dev/input/js0
jstest /dev/input/js1
and tell me if you have the same issue ?

DigitalLumberjack

Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:40 pm

Hi !

New release : v3.1.2
https://github.com/digitalLumberjack/re ... tag/v3.1.2

News :
  • - workaround for mame hotkey on select (hotkey is set on R if in mame core if it was select)
    - corrected smooth game on fba 6btn games
    - added xbox 360 usb configuration
    - added beta n64 support for rpi2
Many things to say on n64 :

expandables

Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:17 pm

Can you make a version with Raspbian install and have a menu with startx?
By thinking like an engineer you can create a raspberry pi.
Michael Jackson enthusiast.
I got the PI model B, B+ and PI 2 model B.
When will I get the A? I don't know.

PuppetHoundZ

Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:13 pm

DigitalLumberjack wrote:
Can you try to get a terminal (plug a keyboard, press F4, then ALT+F2). Connect with "root" "recalboxroot" and give me the result of each lines :

ls /dev/input
cat /proc/bus/input/devices
cat /root/generateconfig.log 
Here is my results:

# ls /dev/input
by-id    by-path  event0   event1   event2   event3   event4   js0      js1      js2
# cat /proc/bus/input/devices
I: Bus=0003 Vendor=046d Product=c52b Version=0111
N: Name="Logitech USB Receiver"
P: Phys=usb-bcm2708_usb-1.4/input0
S: Sysfs=/devices/platform/bcm2708_usb/usb1/1-1/1-1.4/1-1.4:1.0/input/input0
U: Uniq=
H: Handlers=sysrq kbd event0
B: PROP=0
B: EV=120013
B: KEY=10000 7 ff800000 7ff febeffdf ffefffff ffffffff fffffffe
B: MSC=10
B: LED=1f

I: Bus=0003 Vendor=046d Product=c52b Version=0111
N: Name="Logitech USB Receiver"
P: Phys=usb-bcm2708_usb-1.4/input1
S: Sysfs=/devices/platform/bcm2708_usb/usb1/1-1/1-1.4/1-1.4:1.1/input/input1
H: Handlers=kbd event1
B: EV=1f
B: KEY=4837fff 72ff32d bf544446 0 0 ffff0001 20f90 8b17c000 677bfa d941dfed 9ed680 4400 0 10000002
B: REL=1c3
B: ABS=1 0

I: Bus=0003 Vendor=19fa Product=8d91 Version=0110
N: Name="HID 19fa:8d91"
P: Phys=usb-bcm2708_usb-1.3.1/input0
S: Sysfs=/devices/platform/bcm2708_usb/usb1/1-1/1-1.3/1-1.3.1/1-1.3.1:1.0/input/input2
H: Handlers=js0 event2
B: EV=1b
B: KEY=ffffff 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
B: ABS=f00ff

I: Bus=0003 Vendor=19fa Product=8d91 Version=0110
N: Name="HID 19fa:8d91"
P: Phys=usb-bcm2708_usb-1.3.1/input1
S: Sysfs=/devices/platform/bcm2708_usb/usb1/1-1/1-1.3/1-1.3.1/1-1.3.1:1.1/input/input3
H: Handlers=js1 event3
B: EV=1b
B: KEY=ffff 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
B: ABS=f00ff

I: Bus=0003 Vendor=045e Product=028e Version=0114
N: Name="Microsoft X-Box 360 pad"
P: Phys=usb-bcm2708_usb-1.2/input0
S: Sysfs=/devices/platform/bcm2708_usb/usb1/1-1/1-1.2/1-1.2:1.0/input/input4
H: Handlers=js2 event4
B: EV=20000b
B: KEY=7cdb0000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
B: ABS=3003f
B: FF=1 7030000 0 0

# cat /root/generateconfig.log
setJoypadIndex Retroarch ----------------------------
        I have for player 1 : index=0 for joystick Microsoft X-Box 360 pad
        I have for player 2 : index=1 for joystick HID 19fa:8d91
        I have for player 3 : index=2 for joystick HID 19fa:8d91
        I have for player 4 : index=-1 for joystick DEFAULTDONOTFINDMEINCOMMAND
writing given config for player 1
writing given config for player 2
writing given config for player 3
Finishing config
So it will be default configuration for player 4
pad 3 is free , writing in config
#
DigitalLumberjack wrote:
Can you try you inputs too with jstest :

jstest /dev/input/js0
jstest /dev/input/js1
and tell me if you have the same issue ?
Nothing else has problem. It receive input on both controls without having to press Xbox 360 controller.js
for Js1 the controller provide a line of code on command line for each button press.

I really hope this helps ;)

Does Pulling the power plug on a RecalBoxOS cause the same sort of Card corruption like Raspbian? Just asking because whenever I configure the special Universal USB converter it makes my system go to a black screen and I can only SSH the thing. Wish this thing had some sort of Wifi Setup.

Also I have an official PS3 Controller and it won't work wired or wireless for me. Is it because it's official instead of the ones you sell the OS with?

PS your OS is the Best I've used so Far! RetroPie was hard to setup even with tutorials it's very buggy for me. I install roms and they won't start it always puts me back to Emulation Station.

Also because of your amazing OS I went and got a SNES USB controller. I hope it works well I tested first with SNES9x on Windows now for RecalBox's PocketSNES. ;) :geek:

FINAL UPDATE! I tried with a SNES USB controller and it does the same issue where you have to press a button from the 1st player controller to allow player 2's controller to work! Hope you can fix this :shock:
Also you're extreme clock setting voids the Pi Warrenty I just checked my Pi with my other OS. :lol: You voided me! :( But it's no big deal I guess it's the nature of Raspberry Pi learning :geek: Also I'm glad I voided my warrenty with your software rather than somthing else. You're work is awesome. Please don't void me when I get Raspberry Pi 2 the stock clock should be very good on Pi2.
Last edited by PuppetHoundZ on Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:44 am, edited 8 times in total.

Return to “Gaming”