mgoulart

Re: retroboxOS - emulation platform for rPI

Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:49 pm

I got a funny problem here! On all emulators my controllers works very fine (Player 1 - First controller, Player 2 - Second controller) but when I play games on FBA, they are all inverted (Player 1 - Second controller, Player 2 - First controller). I don't know if a made any mistake on configuration, I left all input configurations on Default

ewzzy

Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:21 am

This works so well! It is very impressive.
Is there a way to set Start+Select as the menu button? I am using USB Super Nintendo controllers and they work for everything I want to use except this.

DigitalLumberjack

Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:13 am

ewzzy wrote:This works so well! It is very impressive.
Is there a way to set Start+Select as the menu button? I am using USB Super Nintendo controllers and they work for everything I want to use except this.
I'm glad to see you enjoy the retroboxOS :) You cannot use start + select as a combination as both are used with the HotKey, start for the retroarch menu, select for Quitting.

On a controller with only 8 btn, you do not have a supplementary key for hotkey. Use R1 as hotkey as it has no shortcut attributed. And then R1+Select to quit, R1+Start for menu.

Enjoy :)
mgoulart wrote:I got a funny problem here! On all emulators my controllers works very fine (Player 1 - First controller, Player 2 - Second controller) but when I play games on FBA, they are all inverted (Player 1 - Second controller, Player 2 - First controller). I don't know if a made any mistake on configuration, I left all input configurations on Default
Yes i know this problem, it must be because you have too controllers having the same name in the system. This issue come from one thing : SDL2 uses udev to get controller index on the system, and SDL1 uses /dev/input/ order. It's not always the same. So from EmulationStation that uses SDL2 (udev), it's easy to setup Retroarch that uses udev, we have the same indexes. But for piFBA, I cannot do translation from UDEV index to System index. So i pass the name of the controller, search in system the index for this name, and use that.

The issue is if you have 2 same controllers, it take the first one as 1st controller.
For now what you can do is to setup in the input configuration your controllers, to invert the controller order in retroarch, and it will stay the same in pifba ;)

And you can report this as a bug in retrobox-buildroot issues ;)

Thanks to you two for the feedback it's very usefull.

EDIT : Just for info, if someone is thinking about participing to the project but have no code experience, I'm thinking about writing the notice in markdown for the retrobox-os wiki.

If you are interested in writing it, or translate it, let me know.

ulysess

Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:08 pm

I've translated the strings into spanish. How can I send you?
  • PiKISS for Raspberry Pi: https://github.com/jmcerrejon/PiKISS
  • Blog: https://misapuntesde.com/
  • Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/cerrejon?fan_landing=true
  • Twitter: https://twitter.com/ulysess10
  • Discord: https://discord.gg/Y7WFeC5

DigitalLumberjack

Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:09 pm

Of course : you can send it to digitallumberjack@retrobox.fr

Thank you pal

DigitalLumberjack

Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:23 pm

I created a wiki you can access and modify here : https://github.com/digitalLumberjack/re ... e-%28EN%29

Be a part of retrobox and help us on that !

mgoulart

Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:59 pm

EDIT : Just for info, if someone is thinking about participing to the project but have no code experience, I'm thinking about writing the notice in markdown for the retrobox-os wiki.

If you are interested in writing it, or translate it, let me know.
I would like to translate to Portuguese, could you help me?

Cael

Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:31 am

i've tried to compile it inside a Linux VM, all goes well except it keeps hanging on missing translation qn files when i try the latest release via downloads on github, my controller wont work (Logitech F310) reguardless if its in DirectX or XINPUT mode. if i try to manually see if even its detected just not configured, it wont display anything on the menu and just exits out of a settings menu after a min.

DigitalLumberjack

Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:03 am

Cael wrote:i've tried to compile it inside a Linux VM, all goes well except it keeps hanging on missing translation qn files when i try the latest release via downloads on github, my controller wont work (Logitech F310) reguardless if its in DirectX or XINPUT mode. if i try to manually see if even its detected just not configured, it wont display anything on the menu and just exits out of a settings menu after a min.
Hi, i add xpad support in the kernel, so the logitech 310 should work now, i will compile and update, i'll tell you when you will be able to update through the frontend. It will also be a part of the next release.

For the build error, i know where it comes from, but i cannot reproduce it on my environnement.

Can you gime me the full error please.

HalfSandwich

Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:52 pm

Would it be possible to add support for the I-PAC interface? It's a USB encoder for arcade buttons and joysticks. RetroboxOS running on Raspberry Pi would be an awesome alternative to a bulkier PC inside a MAME arcade cabinet.

DigitalLumberjack

Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:53 pm

HalfSandwich wrote:Would it be possible to add support for the I-PAC interface? It's a USB encoder for arcade buttons and joysticks. RetroboxOS running on Raspberry Pi would be an awesome alternative to a bulkier PC inside a MAME arcade cabinet.
Hi, Do you have one ? I do not have ipac but I think it's already supported.

But remember one thing : https://github.com/digitalLumberjack/mk ... ystick_rpi make it possible to connect joysticks directly to GPIO. And it's on his way to be supported in retroboxOS : https://github.com/digitalLumberjack/re ... t/issues/6 :P

Cael

Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:03 pm

DigitalLumberjack wrote:
Cael wrote:i've tried to compile it inside a Linux VM, all goes well except it keeps hanging on missing translation qn files when i try the latest release via downloads on github, my controller wont work (Logitech F310) reguardless if its in DirectX or XINPUT mode. if i try to manually see if even its detected just not configured, it wont display anything on the menu and just exits out of a settings menu after a min.
Hi, i add xpad support in the kernel, so the logitech 310 should work now, i will compile and update, i'll tell you when you will be able to update through the frontend. It will also be a part of the next release.

For the build error, i know where it comes from, but i cannot reproduce it on my environnement.

Can you gime me the full error please.
sure: (sorry only reason the user in the VM is OPL i use this VM to also compile updated builds of the PS2 homebrew application OpenPS2Loader)

Code: Select all

/home/opl/Downloads/retrobox-rescue/buildroot/output/host/usr/bin/rcc -name icons icons.qrc -o qrc_icons.cpp
RCC: Error in 'icons.qrc': Cannot find file 'translation_nl.qm'
make[1]: *** [qrc_icons.cpp] Error 1
make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/opl/Downloads/retrobox-rescue/buildroot/output/build/recovery-1.0'
make: *** [/home/opl/Downloads/retrobox-rescue/buildroot/output/build/recovery-1.0/.stamp_built] Error 2
ERROR : Unable to build retrobox rescue

HalfSandwich

Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:04 pm

I do have one but haven't connected it to the Pi yet. On a Windows PC, the I-PAC is detected essentially as a normal USB keyboard and arcade buttons can be mapped that correspond to normal keys on a keyboard. There are no drivers required. I'd like to contribute to make it work (if it doesn't already) but have little programming experience.

DigitalLumberjack

Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:11 pm

Cael wrote: sure: (sorry only reason the user in the VM is OPL i use this VM to also compile updated builds of the PS2 homebrew application OpenPS2Loader)

/home/opl/Downloads/retrobox-rescue/buildroot/output/host/usr/bin/rcc -name icons icons.qrc -o qrc_icons.cpp
RCC: Error in 'icons.qrc': Cannot find file 'translation_nl.qm'
make[1]: *** [qrc_icons.cpp] Error 1
make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/opl/Downloads/retrobox-rescue/buildroot/output/build/recovery-1.0'
make: *** [/home/opl/Downloads/retrobox-rescue/buildroot/output/build/recovery-1.0/.stamp_built] Error 2
ERROR : Unable to build retrobox rescue
Please look at the wiki i added two qt dependencies to install a a line before the compilation of the retrobox-rescue. I'll upload the createRetroboxOS.sh file in the next release.

EDIT : the dependencies are qt5-default qttools5-dev-tools and the language file compilation :

lupdate -no-obsolete recovery/recovery.pro
in the retrobox-rescue directory

ewzzy

Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:15 am

Thanks for the advice. Using R works perfectly. Though it does mean accidentally activating functions. I'd love to be able to only have R+Start to access the menu and R+Select to exit.

I am having trouble accessing the storage by inserting the SD card in my PC. I see the recovery partition but nothing else. I can access the rom storage over ethernet. In the menu storage shows up at 0% of 1GB in red text. Not sure what that means.

chilwil12

Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:13 am

Hello thanks for the project it's verry nice work . I keep having a problem after I complete installation . If I add roms to sd by plugging in to my pc or drag n drop over network and start up the pi I get 1.171391] kernel panic -not syncing :vfs:unable to mount root fs . I tried re downloading and many fresh installs with diffrent sd cards same outcome .

DigitalLumberjack

Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:48 am

HalfSandwich wrote: There are no drivers required. I'd like to contribute to make it work (if it doesn't already) but have little programming experience.
The feedback on the compatibily of ipac with retrobox is already a great contribution :)
chilwil12 wrote:Hello thanks for the project it's verry nice work . I keep having a problem after I complete installation . If I add roms to sd by plugging in to my pc or drag n drop over network and start up the pi I get 1.171391] kernel panic -not syncing :vfs:unable to mount root fs . I tried re downloading and many fresh installs with diffrent sd cards same outcome .
I need more informations here : did you install the system and did it run once ? Can you play pre-installed homebrews ? What os are you using and on wich partition did you copy roms when you plugged the sd on your pc ?
ewzzy wrote:I am having trouble accessing the storage by inserting the SD card in my PC. I see the recovery partition but nothing else. I can access the rom storage over ethernet. In the menu storage shows up at 0% of 1GB in red text. Not sure what that means.
What is the card size ? Was your SD card fat32 formatted before copying retrobox-os files ? Did you check the size available ? What is your OS ?

DigitalLumberjack

Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:40 pm

Hi, i released the version 2.7.1 this morning, i added F310 support in kernel for this release, but i would like you to tell me if it does work when you will test it :)

Cael

Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:49 pm

i'll double check in a bit, i just finished a bit ago a Release threat for a unrelated bit of Homebrew Not related to the RPi over on a PS2 Scene forum :P but may want to update yet again the createRetroboxOS script to double check mkpasswd is installed, some distros have it , i use LinuxMint 17.1 Cinnamon and i had to install it.

ewzzy

Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:40 pm

Just tried with a 32GB card instead of a 4GB and updated to 2.7.1. I still can't see the rom partition in my PC. The storage space does show correctly in the menu now.

Is there a way to use sselph's scraper with RetroboxOS? Running it in a folder on my Windows computer is much faster than running the scraper included in Emulationstation.

ewzzy

Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:16 pm

I spoke too soon! The scraper I mention does work with retroboxOS!

I also was wrong about the remaining storage. It still says "0GB/27GB (0%)" :cry:

I used SD Card Formatter on Windows to format the card as fat32, so that shouldn't be the problem.

DigitalLumberjack

Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:56 am

ewzzy wrote:Just tried with a 32GB card instead of a 4GB and updated to 2.7.1. I still can't see the rom partition in my PC. The storage space does show correctly in the menu now.
Is it an old windows ?, with a 4bg sd card, it's normal that you had only 1 GB for the rom partition as the root partition takes 2GB already.
ewzzy wrote:I also was wrong about the remaining storage. It still says "0GB/27GB (0%)"
That is ok, it means you use 0% of 27 GB remaining. As the 32 GB card only contains 29 or 30 GB, and 2 GB are reserved for the system, here you are.

DigitalLumberjack

Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:57 am

Cael wrote:i'll double check in a bit, i just finished a bit ago a Release threat for a unrelated bit of Homebrew Not related to the RPi over on a PS2 Scene forum :P but may want to update yet again the createRetroboxOS script to double check mkpasswd is installed, some distros have it , i use LinuxMint 17.1 Cinnamon and i had to install it.
Thank you i will add it to the create script.

mgoulart

Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:30 pm

Hi again,

Is there a option that enable EmulationStation to show only the snapshot on gamelist (without description and metadata)?

DigitalLumberjack

Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:42 pm

mgoulart wrote:Hi again,

Is there a option that enable EmulationStation to show only the snapshot on gamelist (without description and metadata)?
No option as i know. You will have to modify your themes and remove in each one informations you don't want to see.

Be aware it's not compatible with the retrobox update system, because themes files are overwritten at each update.

Return to “Gaming”