Vanfanel

Re: Scummvm DISPMANX for Raspberry Pi

Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:07 am

EDIT: please activate the Aspect Ratio Correction option. It should work.

7F20

Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:46 am

Ok, thanks Vanfanel for the reply!

That makes sense, I never messed with the aspect settting at all. I just assumed that the pi was figuring it out by itself. :)

Thanks for the explanation AndyD of the frame buffer, it is making more sense now.

I'll report back once I've had a chance to try it.

7F20

Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:15 am

Vanfanel wrote:EDIT: please activate the Aspect Ratio Correction option. It should work.
So, I tried this and it didn't seem to help.

I am not sure if you meant the aspect option in scummvm, or just in config.txt, so i just tried both and I also tried them each independently.
Also, I was a little confused in scummvm, because there are two places you can select the aspect correction, one is in "options" and the other is in "edit." The "edit" selection can only be chosen if you tell it to override global game settings.
So I tried all of those functions as well and it didn't seem to help.

This is also happening with Darkplaces (quake mod) and in darkplaces it is very distinctly shifted down and to the left.
In scummvm, the whole screen is cut off all the way around, but it looks like it is more cut off in the lower left corner.

So that's all I got. not sure what could be causing it, and i tried on three tvs.

7F20

Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:39 pm

7F20 wrote:
Vanfanel wrote:EDIT: please activate the Aspect Ratio Correction option. It should work.
So, I tried this and it didn't seem to help.

I am not sure if you meant the aspect option in scummvm, or just in config.txt, so i just tried both and I also tried them each independently.
Also, I was a little confused in scummvm, because there are two places you can select the aspect correction, one is in "options" and the other is in "edit." The "edit" selection can only be chosen if you tell it to override global game settings.
So I tried all of those functions as well and it didn't seem to help.

This is also happening with Darkplaces (quake mod) and in darkplaces it is very distinctly shifted down and to the left.
In scummvm, the whole screen is cut off all the way around, but it looks like it is more cut off in the lower left corner.

So that's all I got. not sure what could be causing it, and i tried on three tvs.
Ok, Sorry for misinformation, but Darkplaces is actually FINE. I was able to correct the aspect and change the size of the screen in Darkplaces with the normal config.txt file and the overscan lines. (plus the darkplaces screen choices)

I suppose it's possilble that I am missing some ideal combination of sceen options between the config.txt file and the scummvm settings, but I thought I tried every possible permutation.
I must have missed something!
The settings I have been adjusting are:
disable overscan
framebuffer
overscan settings
sdtv mode
sdtv aspect

and then in scummvm:
Aspect correction in both edit game and options
fullscreen in both edit game and options

As far as I can tell, the correct thing to do is comment out everything and then only have
aspect correction ticked "on" in the edit game menu (and then maybe fullscreen?)
but maybe there is something that I am missing?
Also, this is very hard because if I do not have the overscan on, i can't read my current line of text in cosole, but i have been able to test lauch scummvm by carefully typing out the path and command without actually seeing what I am doing, but it's a PITA.

And to reiterate the problem, using composite video, my screen is always evenly cut-off around the edges of the screen (enough that I cannot see the words options in Lucasarts games. It doesn't matter which monitor/tv I use.

One last thing is that it always seem to crash if I have overcan enabled and I don't use fbset -depth 32.
I see that there are setting in the config.txt for framebuffer depth, but I don't know if those effect this process.
do i need framebuffer_ignore_alpha and framebuffer_depth in the config?
the elinux wiki says that those settings are kind of broken, so I am not sure how to go about it if they should be changed.

Best,

pekkavaa

Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:31 pm

Thanks for the porting effort, but I can't get this to work. I pulled the correct branch but I hit the following linker error when trying to build it.

Code: Select all

/usr/lib/gcc/arm-linux-gnueabihf/4.6/../../../arm-linux-gnueabihf/crt1.o: In function `_start':
(.text+0x34): undefined reference to `main'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
Makefile.common:81: recipe for target 'scummvm' failed
make: *** [scummvm] Error 1
This is my configure script invocation:

./configure --backend=raspberrypi --disable-debug --enable-release --enable-optimizations --disable-mt32emu --enable-flac --disable-mad --disable-vorbis --disable-tremor --disable-fluidsynth --disable-taskbar --disable-timidity --disable-alsa --enable-dispmanx --disable-engine="access,cge2,dreamweb,hopkins,prince,sword1,toon,cine,hugo,mohawk,queen,sword2,touche,composer,kyra,mortevielle,saga,sword25,tsage,agi,cruise,fullpipe,lastexpress,neverhood,,teenagent,tucker,agos,lure,testbed,avalanche,made,sci,tinsel,voyeur,bbvs,draci,gob,mads,parallaction,scumm,toltecs,wintermute,cge,drascula,groovie,pegasus,tony,zvision"
I also tried to patch the configure script to detect SDL includes correctly, but I still hit the same error.

diff --git a/configure b/configure
	index 2631a29..a4acc15 100755
	--- a/configure
	+++ b/configure
	@@ -3072,7 +3072,7 @@ MODULES="$MODULES backends/platform/$_backend"
	 # Setup SDL specifics for SDL based backends
	 #
	 case $_backend in
	-       dingux | gph | linuxmoto | maemo | openpandora | samsungtv | sdl)
	+       dingux | gph | linuxmoto | maemo | openpandora | raspberrypi | samsungtv | sdl)
					find_sdlconfig
					INCLUDES="$INCLUDES `$_sdlconfig --prefix="$_sdlpath" --cflags`"
					LIBS="$LIBS `$_sdlconfig --prefix="$_sdlpath" --libs`"
	@@ -3095,7 +3095,7 @@ esac
	 # Enable 16bit support only for backends which support it
	 #
	 case $_backend in
	-       android | dingux | dc | gph | iphone | maemo | openpandora | psp | samsungtv | sdl | tizen |
	+       android | dingux | dc | gph | iphone | maemo | openpandora | psp | raspberrypi | samsungtv |
					if test "$_16bit" = auto ; then
							_16bit=yes
					else
System specs:

[email protected] ~ $ uname -a
Linux raspberrypi 3.18.11-v7+ #781 SMP PREEMPT Tue Apr 21 18:07:59 BST 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux
[email protected] ~ $ vcgencmd version
Apr 21 2015 14:42:19
Copyright (c) 2012 Broadcom
version 2d5ad04b63af4233440c3f7c8587108223201102 (clean) (release)

Vanfanel

Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:22 pm

I have changed the configure script and now libSDL should be detected right in cross-building systems where it was previously failing, please test.
Updated cross-building instructions in:

http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Compi ... ng_ScummVM

twolife

Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:25 am

Hi Vanfanel ,

I saw that your are trying to push your path upstream : https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/pull/575
It seems that recently a port of scummvm to SDL2 has landed in the git repository https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/pull/572
I'm sure you know there is a dispmanx backend included in SDL2.
so my question is : Is there any difference in speed or functionality between
scummvm --> dispmanx (your pull request) and
scummvm --> SDL2 --> dispmanx
?

thanks

Return to “Gaming”