Kuramaz

Making a gamecube controller adapter for wii u

Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:08 am

i was wondering if this project was possible. I dont know much about programming and raspberry pi unfortunatly, but i do want to learn. I was wondering if one could make a program for raspberry pi to turn and hid compliant game pad or other device become a gamecube to wii u adapter. my reasoning is this article, read it http://www.polygon.com/2014/11/25/72870 ... gc-adapter. Now it would be possible to make a program that just throws in those extra bytes right. now i don't exactly know what the article is saying in full detail, but this seems feasible easily. I would also like to know how one would connect the pi to the wii u. If somebody could tell me exactly how to make this adapter, or make one, they would be a god to the smash bros community. (could somebody else please just complete this brainchild for me, i don't want to be an internet god)

i look forward to the ideas, and what i may learn.

dan3008

Re: Making a gamecube controller adapter for wii u

Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:15 am

While theoretically possible, you'd be better looking at arduino. I know a GC to USB adapter for windows is easy with arduino (I built on, cant be hard lol), so that might be a good place to start.
dan3008 wrote:Pays your money, takes your choice

Kuramaz

Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:03 pm

Hmm, true, something like like an arduino would be better. It wouldn't be much differnt than a windows adapter, just with those extra random bytes thrown in however the official adapter does. However, a reason I was thinking raspberry pi was because one could turn around and use it as an emulator or home theater while the Wii u wasnt on, just remember to run whatever output program before leaving or playing wiiu. Also, all the different arduinos kinda get confusing to me.

Kuramaz

Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:11 pm

actually, if you have the ability, could you just modify the code for that unit you already built to have all the extra bytes and see if it works? just make sure you have a backup of your old code for obvious reasons

toxibunny

Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:02 am

All the code for the standard gc/n64>usb adaptor is freely available online. If the information given in your link is sufficient and accurate, then it should be fairly trivial to adapt it to being a gc/n64>wii u adaptor (and even to have a switch installed so it can be both)

I wonder if nintendo just included that tiny bit of extra data in order to make sure that existing commercial gc>usb adaptors won't work. Wouldn't surprise me at this point...
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...

Kuramaz

Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:10 am

well for obvious reasons to save headache, Nintendo usually use normal standards and just mods them. The game-pad is WiFi direct with h.264 video, and Wii controllers (and pro controllers) are just Bluetooth. So the information is most likely correct. All we need is the EXACT reading off of the guys device, and it honestly would be as easy as pie. I wonder if i could contact this guy to give us his readings though, or just politely ask him to do what we want. IF anybody else though has a USB analyzer that would be thanked (provided they are also a lucky adapter owner).

Wait, if there is somebody really good with programming, there are already Linux and windows drivers for the adapter, and they probably just remove this extra byte. IF an awesome person analyzed the driver, wouldn't we figure out whats exactly going on compared to standard HID, and thus be able to reverse-reverse engineer this? (i don't really know, but it makes sense, somebody who knows about drivers please tell me if im right or an complete idiot in this statement, and at least try to do what this paragraphs states if they can and its possible)

toxibunny

Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:15 am

your last paragraph is off. get in touch with the guy and ask him to share his findings.
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...

Kuramaz

Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:26 pm

Oh, OK, but that made perfect sense in my head oh well.

sge

Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:06 am

Somebody has emulated the (currently sold out everywhere) official GC adapter to allow any USB controller as a Super Smash Bros controller via a Beaglebone Black.
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comm ... ash_wii_u/

The Raspberry Pi SPI or GPIO pins can be used as relatively low throughput (bit banged) USB host. http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 44&t=11558

I think this is theoretically possible without any addon boards

Return to “Gaming”