Braqoon

Games on "Cartridges"

Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:51 am

Hi,
I have and idea (nothing new i presume) to create very minimal linux distro for raspi with bare X environment. On top of that you put a game which will start from X in fullscreen making this a kind of a game cartridge for raspi. So you will just download an image, load into your SD card and play.

Just want to bounce this idea and maybe that's already done ?

Cheers
http://dfourgames.com/

walleee

Re: Games on "Cartridges"

Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:21 pm

I'd love this. would be great for something like Q3

aaa801

Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:21 pm

This would be pretty easy, All you'd have todo is add a script to load on system boot,
say sdcard/run.sh, and then launch the game from there

SSilver2k2

Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:08 pm

It's funny you mention this, this is how a lot of modern Arcade games work. Street Fighter 4 is based on a Taito Type X system, which is just a high powered PC. You plug in the sf4 cart (which is just a hard drive/flash drive) and then a USB dongle which has a decryption key, and the game plays.

This would be a very fun project to setup. :)

Print out little NES style cart stickers for the SD cards. Could be neat
My blog of various geeky things - http://blog.sheasilverman.com
PiPLAY - http://piplay.org
DeskCade.com - Mini Raspberry Pi Arcade Cabinet

Genius23008

Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:19 pm

I personally love the idea, but the cost of Internet limit and/or SD card prices really does turn the £35 I payed for my Pi into £60! Hmm...

Gio

Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:57 am

To reduce the cost you could put multiple games on the SD card, and have it boot to a selection menu first.

Braqoon

Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:17 pm

Genius23008 wrote:I personally love the idea, but the cost of Internet limit and/or SD card prices really does turn the £35 I payed for my Pi into £60! Hmm...
Well, project itself will be costless apart from time. As for SD card you can pickup 2GB card for around £4 from play.com (have not checked is this one will defo work on RPI) but i do not believe cost is an issue here as you can have one and overwrite it or put more games on one card as earlier suggested.

@SSilver2k2 sticker Idea already crossed my mind, indeed this can be neat.

Thanks to all for your views.

keenan

Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:44 pm

This would be so awesome! True that SD card prices are cheap enough to make this possible, just ordered a Sandisk Ultra Class 6 4GB card from play for £2.99..

This has to happen.. ;)

Braqoon

Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:31 pm

keenan wrote:This would be so awesome! True that SD card prices are cheap enough to make this possible, just ordered a Sandisk Ultra Class 6 4GB card from play for £2.99..

This has to happen.. ;)
Yeah, prices are silly for this. Just got one myself :) you can't pass that for £2.99

Anyway I guess I will post some more details when i got a time to think that trough.

DemonJim

Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:40 pm

I was thinking this same thing when I got my Pi yesterday!

One issue I realised was is that any changes you want to make to config.txt has to be made on every 'cartridge'. Not good if you want to enable overscan for a different TV for example.

So one idea is this: have your main (large) SD card, but on startup have it look for a "game cartridge" in the USB port (which could be a pen drive or another SD card in a USB-reader*), and if it sees one make it autorun a game launcher common on all your 'carts'.

* of course this has potential driver and power requirement issues, but you get the idea :)
DemonStudios Ltd | Indie Game Developer | www.demonstudios.com

Braqoon

Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:33 pm

DemonJim wrote:I was thinking this same thing when I got my Pi yesterday!

One issue I realised was is that any changes you want to make to config.txt has to be made on every 'cartridge'. Not good if you want to enable overscan for a different TV for example.

So one idea is this: have your main (large) SD card, but on startup have it look for a "game cartridge" in the USB port (which could be a pen drive or another SD card in a USB-reader*), and if it sees one make it autorun a game launcher common on all your 'carts'.

* of course this has potential driver and power requirement issues, but you get the idea :)
This is bit overcomplicated i think. Still you will need to adjust config on OS boot to make sure it will display on your TV/monitor.

"Cartridge" is more the idea here. Having a software in place anyone will be able to distribute/sell pre-loaded SD cards with their own games or alike. Definitely there could be a problem to make sure that any given "cartridge" will be working with most of the tvs or monitors but this is thinking bit too ahead.

I would maybe start with a design doc to set "standards" for video output, input devices, OS base and other stuff that will enable anyone who want to use this "cartridge" project to be sure what to expect. One example can be resolution ; as much i would like to get my game running in 1080p this may be a not good idea on R-PI, so setting a standard eg. 800x600 will give a better performance.

This is all for discussion and i don't have enough knowledge on what R-PI can do (only had it for a 4 days) to make such decisions .

shardina

Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:57 am

You could put the Pi in an NES body, use an sd slot extender cable to position the sd slot in the console's cartridge slot, and mount the sd card in the NES cart :D

Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:17 am

My 2 cents:
Get a lightweight linux distro, modify it for the pi and somehow set it on bootup to use game.png in home as the boot logo and immediately run game.sh with X running. Should then be a case of dumping openarena into a folder somewhere with an openarea logo as game.png and making game.sh run openarena. Redistribute as a downloadable image file.

Someone should then just be able to burn it onto an sd card. User puts it in, powers pi on and sure enough an openarena logo should flash up. How to prevent the user from quitting is another matter.

normal

Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:24 pm

SSilver2k2 wrote:It's funny you mention this, this is how a lot of modern Arcade games work. Street Fighter 4 is based on a Taito Type X system, which is just a high powered PC. You plug in the sf4 cart (which is just a hard drive/flash drive) and then a USB dongle which has a decryption key, and the game plays.

This would be a very fun project to setup. :)

Print out little NES style cart stickers for the SD cards. Could be neat
I had this idea for a RPi-based arcade board myself like the Taito Type X and I thought it would be better if someone came up with a IDE expressly for standalone game development to be written to a ready-to-use SD card. I figure if it can run Quake 3 there is a lot of potential to run decent arcade games like what would have come out of the late 90s to early 2000s. Also the GPIO header should be used for joystick controls since I don't trust USB to not have input lag. USB could be saved for things like storage for game data (graphics, sound, etc) and buttons that don't need fast reaction time like the coin collector and service switch. Heck it doesn't even have to be regular arcade games, they could even be used to control prize games like the claw game or ticket contests.

eLJay

Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:06 pm

I'd suggest just producing a system that can run the games and a development environment on a more powerful system that can be used to develop them, the last thing you want is to be hamstrung by the limitations of the Raspi as a development environment, though you could provide a more limited development environment for the Raspi for those who only have that to develop on?

Pangtang

Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:32 pm

photo.JPG
mobile Pi playing Earthbound Zero
photo.JPG (24.38 KiB) Viewed 7187 times
Hi, I have tried this out with some 2GB sdcards and fceu (running on Debian Squeeze) and it works really well. I run it all from the command line on boot, rather than lxde, using an .sh file. I plan to rebuild the whole set-up in Raspbian when I have a moment.

I made a scruffy mobile Pi to run them on with a 12 V lipo battery and an amplified speaker circuit. The screen is a cheap LCD off eBay and I was lucky enough to find a SNES style usb gamepad to build the controls from.

The only other things I had to get were a couple of dc - dc converters to power the amplifier circuit and the Pi (the LCD runs directly off the 12 V).

Braqoon

Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:26 pm

Wow, nice . Can you post some video of this baby in action ?

Great Work.

Pangtang

Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:05 pm

Thanks, here is some really shaky video I just recorded on my mobile phone. Sorry about the quality, you may have to turn up the volume : http://youtu.be/NLYaz9HMLhg

Pangtang

Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:33 pm

Someone asked me for a parts list on my mobile Pi build, so here it is :

Case, Display and DPad/ Buttons :

DC 12V 4800mAh Rechargeable Lithium-ion battery with a power switch,
3.5 inch TFT 640 x 480 LCD Digital Car Rear View Monitor Square (PAL/NTSC),
Black ABS Enclosure 150 x 100 x 60mm,
USB PC SNES Retro gaming controller pad.

Raspberry Pi :

Raspberry Pi,
DC to DC Buck Converter 12V to 5V USB 3A 15W Step Down Car Power Supply Module,
USB A 2.0 female to Micro USB B male Connector Adapter.

Amplified Speaker Circuit :

DC to DC Buck Converter 12V to 3.3V 3A 10W Step Down Car Power Supply Module,
3.5mm Mini Portable Stereo Speaker for iPod/iPhone/MP3.

This was a battery powered speaker unit designed to be plugged into a mobile phone
headphone socket, so I removed the unit's battery pack and wired the unit's amplifier
circuit to the 3.3V converter. I then rewired the speakers with some longer cables
so the speakers could be fitted either side of the LCD display. I left the unit power
switch in the ON position so the speakers would be turned on when the console 12V battery
came on.

Since space was so limited in the case I had to take many of these components apart
and rebuild them to fit inside the case. An earlier build had heat issues, so the sides of the case
are peppered with ventilation holes.

cutterjohn

Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:19 pm

Pangtang wrote:Someone asked me for a parts list on my mobile Pi build, so here it is :

Case, Display and DPad/ Buttons :

DC 12V 4800mAh Rechargeable Lithium-ion battery with a power switch,
3.5 inch TFT 640 x 480 LCD Digital Car Rear View Monitor Square (PAL/NTSC),
Black ABS Enclosure 150 x 100 x 60mm,
USB PC SNES Retro gaming controller pad.

Raspberry Pi :

Raspberry Pi,
DC to DC Buck Converter 12V to 5V USB 3A 15W Step Down Car Power Supply Module,
USB A 2.0 female to Micro USB B male Connector Adapter.

Amplified Speaker Circuit :

DC to DC Buck Converter 12V to 3.3V 3A 10W Step Down Car Power Supply Module,
3.5mm Mini Portable Stereo Speaker for iPod/iPhone/MP3.

This was a battery powered speaker unit designed to be plugged into a mobile phone
headphone socket, so I removed the unit's battery pack and wired the unit's amplifier
circuit to the 3.3V converter. I then rewired the speakers with some longer cables
so the speakers could be fitted either side of the LCD display. I left the unit power
switch in the ON position so the speakers would be turned on when the console 12V battery
came on.

Since space was so limited in the case I had to take many of these components apart
and rebuild them to fit inside the case. An earlier build had heat issues, so the sides of the case
are peppered with ventilation holes.
Nice, but there's already a simpler solution for most people:
http://game-consoles-worldwide.com/

I've got an SE on pre-order, they've been delayed a couple of weeks due to a lately found mfg defect, so all the units produced are currently be re-worked...

Not exactly "on cartridge", but I believe that they have plans to eventually have a store... it's still early days and only ~150 SEs will be out in the wild for a while...

The total of the SE is $125 + $10 s&h (US) or $20(elsewhere IIRC). There might be some SEs left for purchase, no idea if the regular version will be the same price or not, so you'd have to contact them for any changes. This is a part time "job" for the main guy running it(he has a day job) so resp. might be slow.

He also sold on the web other handhelds like the Dingoo A-320, A-380, various gemei handhelds, and gamepark holdings handhelds. (I think it was dingoo-digital-usa or something like that, should still be there or it was a few weeks ago when I checked.)

Ingenics JZ4770 SoC based -> 1GHz MIPS arch, ~500MHz GPU, running "opendingux" (a modified version of an alternative linux based OS that we ran on the A-320 and other ingenics SoC based handhelds, e.g. A-380).

[EDIT]
That is to say that the A-320 natively ran something call uC OS IIRC(proprietary) and the bootloader was hacked to either boot the native os or "opendingux" when a key was held down on powerup. The A-380 had a hacked up version of dingux(predecessor to opendingux) but a port of opendingux was again managed(not sure if it boots off of SD this time or not as I skipped the A-380 as the 4750 wasn't much of an upgrade over the 4740(A-320) and an extra 32MB of RAM(64MB A-380) was pretty pathetic...)

OS: it's basically the same guys who worked on opendingux for the Dingoo A-320 as I understand it, but I didn't find out about the A-320 until fairly late in it's lifespan. The drawback here is that by this handheld using a MIPS based SoC there will be fewer optimizations that could be backported to the pi, most importantly those involving assembly language optimizations, however the gamepark holdings handhelds(caanoo/wiz/etc.) used ARM9s IIRC and the later models ran a version of linux, so those along with openpandora stuff(watch out for ARMv7 optimizations as it's cortex-a8) are better bases, but I digress...

GCW Zero specs are on the page but additionally from the above, the SEs have 512MB RAM and 16GB onboard flash, while the "regular" versions are (last I heard) supposed to have 256MB RAM and 4GB onboard flash other than that they should be identical.

Also that pricing for the SE was what we earliest adopters paid. I have no idea if he's holding steady at that for everyone or what, and as I mentioned no idea if the "regular" version will get a price break or if we early adopters just got some extra goodies...
[/EDIT]

Return to “Gaming”