deaftolight

NES and SNES games running at 50 fps suddenly

Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:25 pm

For some reason, with moderate overclock settings, NES and SNES games are now running around 50 fps with choppy audio. I don’t know why… they always used to work fine with moderate overclock settings… Now I have to overclock to high or turbo to get them to work.

The Guardian Legend and Mega Man II were my test roms. Anybody experiencing this?

The only way I can get games to run at full speed (60 fps) now is to set the overclock to the highest setting, turbo, at 1000 mhz. It’s odd, because I don’t remember having to do that before. Having the overclock set on medium before seemed to run everything fine. I checked top, and retroarch is the only thing running… using 90% CPU and 5% MEM
Model B+ Pi 512MB

tinkernaut

Re: NES and SNES games running at 50 fps suddenly

Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:48 pm

deaftolight wrote:For some reason, with moderate overclock settings, NES and SNES games are now running around 50 fps with choppy audio. I don’t know why… they always used to work fine with moderate overclock settings… Now I have to overclock to high or turbo to get them to work.

The Guardian Legend and Mega Man II were my test roms. Anybody experiencing this?

The only way I can get games to run at full speed (60 fps) now is to set the overclock to the highest setting, turbo, at 1000 mhz. It’s odd, because I don’t remember having to do that before. Having the overclock set on medium before seemed to run everything fine. I checked top, and retroarch is the only thing running… using 90% CPU and 5% MEM
Model B+ Pi 512MB
Could you be running in a PAL mode on the emulator? Or a PAL rom? The framerate standard for PAL games of the era (not sure about currently) is 50fps, as compared to 60fps in the NTSC standard.

deaftolight

Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:06 pm

No, they're US, and it's obvious slowdown because the audio is stuttering.

deaftolight

Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:23 pm

I think it has something to do with the resolution on my TV. If I force VGA by uncommenting hdmi_mode=1 in /boot/config.txt, the NES games run full speed again. However, this makes emualtionstation look awful. I thought runcommand.sh was supposed to take care of this!

Unforcing VGA, and allowing to display in 1080p, emulationstation looked great, so I tried changing the runcommand.sh parameters in es_systems.cfg
I tried changing runcommand.sh from 4 to 1, but it did not help. I thought these parameters were supposed to allow us to see ES on our big TVs nicely, and then change the resolution when emulating.

Return to “Gaming”