DigitalLumberjack

TUTO : Get rid of ALL terminal text

Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:15 pm

Hi !
As i'm making gaming consoles from RaspberryPi with EmulationStation i wanted to share a little thing that can really change user experience : get rid of all terminal texts and logs, on boot and when loading games.

There are many posts on the net where you will find that you can change the default tty in /boot/cmdline.txt (console=tty3 in place of console=tty1) but it changed nothing on my configuration.

So here is the procedure :
- edit /boot/cmdline.txt and remove the console=tty0 directive, add logo.nologo and vt.global_cursor_default=0

Code: Select all

dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=ttyAMA0,115200 root=/dev/mmcblk0p6 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline rootwait logo.nologo vt.global_cursor_default=0
At this point you will see very less informations on boot, but the EmulationStation and Retroarch output will still be displayed when loading games.

I tried many options, like remove tty1 in /etc/inittab but there was always an issue with one or an other emulator (no input on pifba, unable to open gpsp)... So here is my final modification, and all seems to work well with that : i redirect tty1 output to tty2 in /etc/inittab.
So open /etc/inittab and replace the first tty with :

Code: Select all

1:2345:respawn:/bin/login -f pi tty1 </dev/tty1 >/dev/tty2 2>&1
The line should be almost identical if you installed your emulators with retropie, cause this line is modified by theautostartemustat.sh
but note that /dev/tty2 replaces /dev/tty1.

The only inconvenient is that you will be able to get a terminal only with ssh then. (alt+fX to change tty does not work anymore)

But when you reboot and only see framebuffer images and emulationstation loading screen that worth it...

expandables

Re: TUTO : Get rid of ALL terminal text

Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:39 am

Thanks just what i wanted to do!
By thinking like an engineer you can create a raspberry pi.
Michael Jackson enthusiast.
I got the PI model B, B+ and PI 2 model B.
When will I get the A? I don't know.

ModernZelda

Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:14 am

I attempted the first step and now my pi does not boot. It shows the rainbow image and then it's blank. My screen doesn't say no signal but the screen is black and when I try to use Winscp I can't connect.

Any ideas?

cresfang

Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:12 am

if you want to nullify all text

emulationstaion > /dev/null 2>&1
Raspberry Pi 3

Return to “Gaming”