BenWiley4000

Re: Iridium Rising - 3D space combat for the Pi

Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:07 pm

Alan M wrote:
BenWiley4000 wrote:Could someone briefly explain what changing the split will do to my system? I'm not even completely sure what it means, and will it reduce my system's general performance?
Changing the split means you vary the amount of memory that you dedicate to the graphics processor. The GPU in the Pi has no memory of its own as most PC graphics cards do, so it uses a portion of the main system memory. Whether or not this will reduce your system performance really depends on what you're doing with your Pi. Also keep in mind that you can always change the split back when you're done. It's not permanent.
sweet, thanks

A-Lid

Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:11 pm

I've split the memory but when I do the

Code: Select all

cd IridiumRising
./IridiumRising
it tells me to do it in a text console not X. :?

I am running debian as my os and to use the code I open Terminal.
Can someone tell me how to fix this?

Thanks!
A-Lid

Max

Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:20 pm

A-Lid wrote: it tells me to do it in a text console not X.
"start" (lxde logo) -> "logout"
try again in the text screen you get then.

BenWiley4000

Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:00 am

Ok so I set the split to 128, I rebooted, (X started because I have slim set up to auto login), I ctrl+alt+F1'd, I started the game... first it seemed to be running really slowly and then it collapsed and quit. But then my keyboard stopped registering so I had to unplug.

?? whattt

a) I'm using Squeeze, with updated firmware
b) does having X open (with no active processes other than the panel) mess the game up?

rockhawk

Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:57 am

I would not recommend running while X is running too. I haven't tested that but wouldn't be surprised if it caused weird problems! I'll try to improve the script to stop someone from doing that in a future release.

Also, someone has just let me know that the new tar file is unzipping to the current directory, not into an IridiumRising subdirectory. Sorry about that! I've now corrected the tar on the web server.
Find Iridium Rising, our 3D space combat game, on the Pi Store!

A-Lid

Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:04 pm

Max wrote:
A-Lid wrote: it tells me to do it in a text console not X.
"start" (lxde logo) -> "logout"
try again in the text screen you get then.

This worked thanks!
Now happily exploding in space :D

BenWiley4000

Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:27 pm

Does anyone know how to exit X (not switch to another console) to the console when I have slim set up to take over automatically on boot?

mikerr

Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:13 pm

Installed this today, great stuff !

Put a video up of one of my first plays here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmGTNvsQeVA

I managed to shoot down a fighter and then hit another head on and exploded :)
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

BenWiley4000

Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:34 am

Ok so I updated the firmware today, which fixed a lot of problems with my system, so I thought I would give this another spin. I killed X before I ran this, to free up some memory. Unfortunately I got the same result as before-- I accelerated through space a little bit before the program quit and said it had lost connection. When I tried to run it again, it didn't even attempt to start because it "couldn't connect".

Here's the console output:
IMAG0159.jpg
IMAG0159.jpg (61.2 KiB) Viewed 3875 times
Also, the keyboard wouldn't respond, again.

Alan M

Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:35 am

Well, I finally got round to trying this out last night. Much better! With the inverted controls I can now actually control the ship properly instead of moving the wrong way and having to correct myself, and the 'space dust' is great.

It would be nice to actually find another player online so I could stand a chance of taking that cruiser down...

rockhawk

Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:17 pm

BenWiley4000 wrote:Ok so I updated the firmware today, which fixed a lot of problems with my system, so I thought I would give this another spin. I killed X before I ran this, to free up some memory. Unfortunately I got the same result as before-- I accelerated through space a little bit before the program quit and said it had lost connection. When I tried to run it again, it didn't even attempt to start because it "couldn't connect".

Also, the keyboard wouldn't respond, again.
Hi Ben,

First sorry for the slow response - I've been down in London for a week, far away from my Pi and Pi-related thoughts.

It sounds most likely that your Pi lost it's connection to the Internet when you got disconnected from the game, and then couldn't start it again. For the moment we have no offline mode, so you need a working internet connection. It's possible if your connection is very slow that the server might kick you off because your connection is getting too backed up - I need to improve the way we handle that, but with only 1 or 2 players online I've never seen it cause a real problem.

I'm very keen to understand how the game is quitting in such a way as to stop your keyboard responding. We change the keyboard mode while the game is running in order to capture the keyboard state (so we can see you are holding down a key, instead of just seeing characters). The keyboard state should be restored when the game exits or if the game crashes after pretty much any signal other than SIGKIlL (which we can't set a handler for). I presume you're not killing the game from an ssh session or anything weird like that though, so it really shouldn't leave your keyboard in a bad state. Could you tell me exactly what happened to the game before it exitted without restoring the keyboard?

DaveManDave

Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:59 am

Are you able to compile a version to run under raspbian with hard float?

I tried it last night but it fell over just after it asked me to enter my name. I assume that was because I am running on raspbrian.

The game looks great, can't wait to try it.

rockhawk

Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:44 am

I'll try and get a Raspbian build done this evening.

rockhawk

Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:08 pm

Ok, Iridium Rising is now available for Raspbian! Download from http://iridiumrising.co.uk/IridiumRisingRaspbian.tar.gz

Let me know how you get on!

tek909

Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:08 am

exciting stuff
I really want to give this a crack but due to demand I have to wait 6 weeks before my PI will show up. 
===============================
IDDQD, IDKFA

BenWiley4000

Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:02 am

So I just tested this on Raspbian, works great! I mean I died, the game kind of sucks right now.. yes I know it's in alpha... but it looked and worked great.

So I mean, yeah, the internet connection thing is weird. No, my connection isn't slow, no, it's not cutting out. Something doesn't work either with IR and Squeeze or with whatever else I have installed.

masterice

Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:48 pm

I'm trying to download the iridium rising for Raspian but keep getting the 404 code of a nonexisting link.
The normal debian link is ok and downloads but the Raspian is always a 4904 error.
Any ideas? Is the given address incorrect?

Thanks

rockhawk

Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:32 pm

Hmm, that's weird - I've just checked the link in the forum post and the one on the website and they both work for me. Which link are you following?

masterice

Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:36 pm

I am following the link for the Raspian version via the Pi at wget http://iridiumrising.co.uk/IridiumRisingRaspbian.tar.gz. That one still gave me a 404 error when I tried it again about an hour ago via the RPi.:

I have also just tried by downloading the Rasbian .gz file via my PC and putting it on a usb stick.

It unzips OK (into directory IridiumRising) but refuses to run ( via console using cd IridiumRising ./IridiumRising )either telling me that I don't have permission or otherwise coming back and telling me that it hopes i enjoyed playing it and I should post and tell people.

I'm prepared to believe it's a problem with me and my fingers as the RPi is my first real bite at the Linux based world but I've managed to get the RPi XBMC media centre and its associated addons installed and up and running on another Pi so I don't think I'm making a major cock up.

KvS

rockhawk

Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:13 pm

Sorry you're having trouble making it work!

Are you trying to run as a user you've created rather than pi? It looks like the IridiumRising script is only executable by that user. Do chmod a+x IridiumRising to fix that.

Other things to check for are making sure you have an internet connection working from your Pi.

masterice

Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:47 pm

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll give it a try as soon as possible but might not be until Monday.
All the best

EZTEQ

Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:37 pm

Is there still active development?
Code-Snippets for the Raspberry Pi!
@ noob-box.net/pi/

eLJay

Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:09 pm

Good start, looking at that it's the kind of chase your tail shoot shoot shoot type of game that occurs because of the game physics. It would be better if there was some system that encouraged more interaction and less too and throwing between ships rather than watching the target accelerate away then quick turn and heads back towards you. Tie Fighter was getting there but nobody seems to have really nailed it as everyone is too busy trying to follow physics. If I ever built a space fighter then the onboard computer is going to have to do a lot more work for the pilot.

Haemogoblin

Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:44 am

Will take a look at this soon as the Pi is hooked up later this evening :)
Blackadder: Right Baldrick, let's try again, shall we? This is called adding. If I have two beans, and then I add two more, what do I have?
Baldrick: Some beans

toxibunny

Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:01 pm

Looks a a bit sparse gameplay wise, but it's very stylish.
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...

Return to “Gaming”