alexjstubbs

My social retro-gaming distro for the pi.

Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:41 pm

Hey guys,

I've talked to many of you outside of this forum but i wanted to share the project that I have been working on for a little over a year and recently launched on kickstarter. It's a dedicated modified distro for the Pi devoted to gaming. It's a bit different as this project focuses on providing a modern interface with a few unique features. Some highlights are:

• Gaming Achievements
  • Voice Chat
  • Voice Control
  • Friends List and Real-time Notifications
  • Easy online Play
  • Play Metrics
I've put a good bit of work into the project before bringing it to kickstarter as to make sure it is all possible to run on the pi without any slow-down or hiccups. Right now the achievement system is completely working along with voice commands, notifications, etc..

You can actually add an achievement for any game based on the values of certain memory addresses from the original RAM. This lets you throw any kind of evaluation from that value so you can easily add conditions based on things such as score, lives left, coins collected, items gathered etc. (it's game specific of course). You can chain these and add a count or time them as well to build more advanced achievements. I am aiming to build an easy interface for you to put in your own achievements and share those right in the dashboard if this all gets funded.

Here are a couple screenshots of the UI:

The UI is completely functional on the Pi without any issues and can launch any emulator or game. Virtually any USB gamepad works out of the box to control the UI as well. You can also switch between a game and the UI on the fly (and even do this via voice commands).

This will all be completely open source of course and if it all comes to life, i'd encourage people to mess with it and add more to it!

The kickstarter url is: http://kck.st/1np2uUX (or the main domain also redirects: igition.io).

I'm happy to answer any questions or take any feedback or ideas.

mgoulart

Re: My social retro-gaming distro for the pi.

Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:39 pm

Awesome project!!!

I would like to help more buying the SD card but the shipping outside USA is too expensive!!!

alexjstubbs

Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:57 pm

Hey mgoulart,

I think i messaged you on KS also but to clear it up- the $25 was supposed to be for the top tier and $10 for that tier but mistakes were made and you cannot change it after it's been selected by someone :( . Believe me, i reached out and tried.

Here is what I can do however. I can change the quantity (take 1 away) of available SD cards/stickers, so if you are still interested, you can do the pledge plus the cheaper shipping price and not select that prize on the next screen and PM me your address. Just make sure you don't select that prize or it would charge you the more expensive shipping at the end.

mgoulart

Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:39 am

Thanks for your support!!!
I hope this project reaches their goals!

welshy

Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:37 am

alexjstubbs
Welcome to the Forum! An very interesting project, would it be possible to upload the Alpha/Beta Code on GitHub for users to try? If so this could be added in the Emulation on the Raspberry Pi Thread with a Link to the KickStarter, Shea (PiPLAY, I noted he is already a backer) achieved hugely increased interest once it was posted there for Forum users to see.
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

alexjstubbs

Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:36 pm

welshy wrote:alexjstubbs
Welcome to the Forum! An very interesting project, would it be possible to upload the Alpha/Beta Code on GitHub for users to try? If so this could be added in the Emulation on the Raspberry Pi Thread with a Link to the KickStarter, Shea (PiPLAY, I noted he is already a backer) achieved hugely increased interest once it was posted there for Forum users to see.
I've been thinking of doing something similar but as I give early BETA access as part of my KS rewards, i would need to be fair to them as well. I am thinking a possible stripped down Alpha version (as opposed to the more featured beta the backers would get) may work out. I would not want to alienate anyone who backed me specifically for BETA access so I may just put together something a little more lite as a demo.

I will update this thread as soon as I come up with something. Thanks :)

welshy

Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:16 pm

alexjstubbs wrote:I would not want to alienate anyone who backed me specifically for BETA access so I may just put together something a little more lite as a demo.
That's totally understandable! It sounds interesting and differs to what is currently available, a demo etc. would justify making it an addition to the Thread.
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

toxibunny

Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:31 pm

Emulation with trophies. Nice!
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...

mgoulart

Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:39 am

Alex,

Do you have any stretch goals in your mind?

alexjstubbs

Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:01 pm

mgoulart wrote:Alex,

Do you have any stretch goals in your mind?
This is something I've been working on these past couple of days. I have a few from integration into XBMC to more platform support but would really like to also add some very unique stretch goals as well. If you or anyone has any suggestions, I am all ears!

Takenover83

Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:42 am

XBMC intergration would be sweet. I would love to help via kickstarter but that amazon payment system they use hates me.
Is the distro based from rasbian? Have you seen my UltraSlim? This sounds like it would supersede my creation and be much better solution for the community. Awesome!

Forrrge

Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:40 am

Grats, noticed that your campaign has reached its goal :)

tankie

Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:27 am

the first kickstartet project i ever backed :) (+ first post here - hello!)
i wonder why it's not getting hyped by the community some more? seems to be very nice and even better/more user-friendly than retropie/emulationstation!
i'm looking forward to the beta! give it to me! :)

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:00 pm

[moderated] Enlarged the pictures

Return to “Gaming”