lunarkingdom

Frustrated, is there any emulation image that works on B+

Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:44 pm

To open, when I downloaded and installed raspBMC I was amazed at how it was laterally plug and play, only a couple (well documented) sudo codes to use and it works great!

So I decided the next step would be get an all in one solution like the Ultraslim but it has issues working on my B+ specifically the keyboard does not work. I then today tried to configure the Retropie version and went through everything on this page:

https://github.com/petrockblog/RetroPie ... he-SD-card

and everything worked till I got to the end of the page and I did a cord pull restart (thus my frustration).

I am not new to writing scripts and learning codes BUT it seems my B+ is so new it is making it difficult to just get to the point where I can start putting roms in folders then playing games so my question is this:

Is there any multi emulator that is easy to setup and works on a B+ before I waste any more of my time and frustration?

welshy

Re: Frustrated, is there any emulation image that works on B

Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:52 pm

lunarkingdom
Interesting, from what I have read in regards to the Model B+ there should be no reason why UltraSlim or RetroPie wont work correctly. Have you tried PiPLAY? (another SD Card Image). For a quick check/test to see if there any fundamental issues with the B+ try and download Stella from the Repo's. All details can be found at the Emulation Thread

Here - http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 78&t=54357
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

r3d4

Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:53 pm

I dont have a B+ but if you post whatever guide you try to follow and the errors that stop you making progress ...
Real life is, to most, a long second-best, a perpetual compromise between the ideal and the possible.
-
Meanwhile, the sysadmin who accidentally nuked the data reckons "its best not run anything more with sudo today"
-
what about spike milligan?

lunarkingdom

Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:26 pm

welshy wrote:lunarkingdom
Interesting, from what I have read in regards to the Model B+ there should be no reason why UltraSlim or RetroPie wont work correctly. Have you tried PiPLAY? (another SD Card Image). For a quick check/test to see if there any fundamental issues with the B+ try and download Stella from the Repo's. All details can be found at the Emulation Thread

Here - http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 78&t=54357
Welshy, thank you for the response, I have been trying to get help in the ultraslim thread:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... &start=375

but the gist of it is I have tried two different wired usb keyboards and neither of them work with this release even though they work with raspBMC and retropie. I will take a look at PiPLAY now frankly as a linux noob (I will learn it faster than most) it kind of blows my mind that releases in general need all this large amount of end user code input to get to the point of letting the end user play games. I run a call of duty 4 clan with over 80 members and I setup and configure the modded servers all the time and at one point to have all of our settings working it was like 45 lines of code the admin would have to enter......so I wrote a script and all they have to do is type /rcon exec settings.cfg and all 45 of the commands are complete. I know linux is a little more complicated, and I look foreword to figuring it out to the point I can compile my own releases and write my own script BUT it sure is challenging for the first time user. This is why I was kind of asking for an easier to set up image for emulating games, so I could get up and running and start testing GPIO buttons.

lunarkingdom

Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:32 pm

r3d4 wrote:I dont have a B+ but if you post whatever guide you try to follow and the errors that stop you making progress ...
r3d4 I appreciate your offer, I frankly was frustrated the tutorial I listed above did not match the experience I had, there was no error code I simply did not know how to proceed being 2 days into linux. I am also kind of lost about using FTP to put roms on the sd card, I use FTP all of the time but I am having a hard time believing it has to be so difficult. I have not had much luck finding tutorials on or a better way to do this, in theory shouldnt I be able to grab them from a usb memory stick? This is why I love raspBMC, it is so easy to use and plug and play, I hope there is an emulator image that is similar. I will figure it all out sooner than most BUT I like little steps foreward with small reward then another little step etc and it seems I ended up where I am now hehe.

Jessie

Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:47 pm

There is no plug and play emulator image. You will have to configure stuff. Some of that will require the use of the command line.

Getting roms onto retropie is easy it has a samba share by default. Plug it into an Ethernet port and use any PC to copy the files over. Only a few emulators will require you go in and copy the roms to a different folder. Most will work wherever retropie leaves them.

There are only a couple of people doing all the heavy lifting on these emulator images and none of them are paid. Trust me these images are far cry from what it took 2 years agao to get your game on.

lunarkingdom

Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:56 pm

Thanks Jessie, I am going to try some more to get retropie configured properly while I wait for PiPLAY to download, looks like I have a couple hours to work on it till it downloads ;-)

lunarkingdom

Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:01 am

wow:

Using USB-Sticks

You also have the possibility to use a service that automatically copies ROMs from an USB stick into the correct directories. You can enable this service with the RetroPie Setup Script from within the "Setup" menu. If you are using the SD-card image download of the RetroPie Project, this copy service is already enabled.

The service works as following: The first time you plug the USB stick into the the RPi, a ROM directory structure is generated on the USB stick, which only takes a few seconds. You can unplug the stick, put it into your PC and copy your ROMs into the corresponding directories on the USB stick. When you put the USB stick back into the RPi, the ROMs are automatically synchronized with the ROM folder on the RPi. When the flashing on your USB sticks ends (which indicates that no writing or reading activities are going on) you can unplug your USB stick.

Return to “Gaming”