willrandship

Re: n64 emulator port

Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:05 pm

From what I've seen, mupen64plus should run fine on the raspberry, considering only slightly more power android phones are running a port of it (n64oid) and on top of Dalvik at that.

What do you think?

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:57 pm

Emulators tend to be very demanding on CPU, and I note n64oid says it requires a high-end device such as the Nexus S or Galaxy S. These have a 1Ghz Cortex A8, which is quite a hefty upgrade on the ARM11 used in the Raspi. It's possible that could be improved upon, but I wouldn't expect straight-forward mupen64plus-arm + GLES plugin to give fantastic performance.

toxibunny

Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:52 am

I dunno about *fine* - I reckon it'll be playable for a few games, with a bit of overclocking and maybe some tweaks... Raspi seems comparableish to a Caanoo handheld...

Original playstation should be pretty doable though...
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:03 am

Anything caanoo can do, Raspi can do better. The caanoo has a 533Mhz ARM9, and (as I understand it) no hardware floating point. UltraHLE had very low requirements, so using similar techniques could be viable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultrahle

willrandship

Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:22 pm

How comparable is the Raspi to a P3? I ran a n64 emu fullspeed, at 1024x768 on one with what I considered pretty low specs.

stuporhero

Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:46 pm

This could help - they've compared a similar processor to the RasPi (MX35) to an Atom Z510 if that helps. http://www.ptxdist.org/develop.....29_en.html bearing in mind that the frequency of the RasPi is ~20% greater than the MX35...

naxeras

Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:41 am

RasPi can run N64 emulator with a lot of optimization in code and using intensive OpenGL instructions.

A handled console with this is ver interesting and cheaper than Wizz or canoo and more powerfull too.

Michael

Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:50 am

There really isn't a lot that is comparable to the BCM2835. In that package you have effectively got a previous-generation ARM CPU core bolted to a next-generation GPU core. Most of the other SoC's on the market have either single- or dual-core current-generation ARM CPU bolted to one of several current-generation GPU cores.

This means that R.Pi is particularly suited to CPU-frugal, GPU intensive tasks such as GUIs and multimedia.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:15 am

Quote from stuporhero on September 22, 2011, 21:46
This could help - they've compared a similar processor to the RasPi (MX35) to an Atom Z510 if that helps. http://www.ptxdist.org/develop.....29_en.html bearing in mind that the frequency of the RasPi is ~20% greater than the MX35...

Some interesting figures there, might try to run those tests on a Raspi.

Not sure why the A8 was not much faster than the Arm11 though.

The Atom 3 times performance for 2x clock speed is explained by the CISC architecture - each clock cycle does more on a CISC than RISC, in this case about 50% more.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

Pickle

Mon May 21, 2012 4:35 pm

A little baffled why the caanoo and wiz came up in this discussion, first they are slow and there is no usable n64 emulator for either.

Pandora handheld is the one that had the most significant development for n64 emulation. It uses a MIPS to ARM dynamic recompiler with a openGLES 2.0 graphics plugin.
I higher expect the Pi can run it, though will require an overclock. If my Pi ever arrives I dont expect having much of a problem with building a version for it.

gladoscc

Thu May 24, 2012 12:20 am

Michael wrote:There really isn't a lot that is comparable to the BCM2835. In that package you have effectively got a previous-generation ARM CPU core bolted to a next-generation GPU core. Most of the other SoC's on the market have either single- or dual-core current-generation ARM CPU bolted to one of several current-generation GPU cores.

This means that R.Pi is particularly suited to CPU-frugal, GPU intensive tasks such as GUIs and multimedia.
Well, that's obviously a bad pairing, considering the intended purpose of pi is to give everyone a linux pie for programming..

Toad King

Thu May 24, 2012 8:51 am

gladoscc wrote:
Michael wrote:There really isn't a lot that is comparable to the BCM2835. In that package you have effectively got a previous-generation ARM CPU core bolted to a next-generation GPU core. Most of the other SoC's on the market have either single- or dual-core current-generation ARM CPU bolted to one of several current-generation GPU cores.

Well, that's obviously a bad pairing, considering the intended purpose of pi is to give everyone a linux pie for programming..
You overestimate how much processing power most beginner programs will really need. Before they get into GUIs and graphics, most programs they make will run and complete instantly (sans breaks for user input). Having a strong graphics layer with modern graphics APIs can only help them avoid frustration when their awesome game they made can't run fast because all the drawing is in software.

milhouse

Thu May 24, 2012 11:57 am

gladoscc wrote: Well, that's obviously a bad pairing, considering the intended purpose of pi is to give everyone a linux pie for programming..
Oh I dunno, In some respects having a not very powerful (I hesitate to call it slow) CPU in an educational environment may be beneficial - if a kid programs a really inefficient algorithm, the results should be obvious (delays etc.) and an often important lesson in optimisation has just been learned... whereas on a much more powerful CPU you might not notice there was even a problem.

Return to “Gaming”