melao

Re: RELEASE: EmulationStation 2.0-RC1

Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:42 am

I have no idea how to configure the controllers for the emulators.
Currently I have an Arcade USB controller connected to the Pi, the Emulation Station GUI works well with it, but I have no idea how to make it work on the emulator.

It is mentioned that I should configure on /opt/retropie/configs the appropriate .cfg file.
When I enter that directory, I can find a directory for each emulator, which for sure is where the config files are located.
Inside let's say the /opt/retropie/configs/snes , i can find retroarch.cfg with the following entries:

Code: Select all

# All settings made here will override the global settings for the current emula
tor core

video_shader = "/opt/retropie/emulators/RetroArch/shader/snes_phosphor.glslp"
video_shader_enable = false
video_smooth = false
It has no mention to controllers, so I have no idea how to configure it.
Where can I find some guidance to configure the controllers?

NBonaparte

Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:46 pm

I've been having trouble with creating a new "platform" (a link to LXDE). Everything but the background shows up, and instead of the background I get a blank white one.
The background I created is 1920 x 1080 and is in JPEG format.
I also tried using an existing background and copying it to the lxde folder and using that instead, but it still shows up white.
Any suggestions?

EDIT: Never mind, it's probably the issue of too many platforms which causes the background to turn white.

necromancyr

Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:44 pm

Having an odd problem - not sure if it's RetroPie, Vice, or Emulation station. Basically, if I start Vice via EmulationStation and then exit vice, I just get a black screen. I can reboot the pi via an SSH in and the x64 (vice) process is shown as defunct/dead via my SSH CLI. If I kill the process, the screen stays black.

This doesn't happen when vice is run outside of EmulationStation - so not exactly sure what the issue might be.

Hrm. I may have jumped the gun, appears to be doing it in some other emulators as well. It looks like it's everything that's not Retroarch. Tried removing the launcher script from the commandlines in es_systems and it's still happening. Very odd.

DigitalLumberjack

Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:54 am

Hi,

I have a performance issue with Emulation on my B model.

I added 7 custom systems, with a 720p background and a custom svg for title, and emulation station takes now more than 20 seconds to boot...
The real problem is not the first loading screen at startup but that it takes 20 seconds to reload after quitting each game.

I'll try some combinations today to see if it is backgrounds, vectors titles, gamelists or files that take so much time to load.

See ya

KitchUK

Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:20 am

NBonaparte wrote:I've been having trouble with creating a new "platform" (a link to LXDE). Everything but the background shows up, and instead of the background I get a blank white one.
The background I created is 1920 x 1080 and is in JPEG format.
I also tried using an existing background and copying it to the lxde folder and using that instead, but it still shows up white.
Any suggestions?

EDIT: Never mind, it's probably the issue of too many platforms which causes the background to turn white.
This sounds like you might need more memory assigned to the GPU.

cacophony555

Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:07 pm

DigitalLumberjack wrote:Hi,

I have a performance issue with Emulation on my B model.

I added 7 custom systems, with a 720p background and a custom svg for title, and emulation station takes now more than 20 seconds to boot...
The real problem is not the first loading screen at startup but that it takes 20 seconds to reload after quitting each game.

I'll try some combinations today to see if it is backgrounds, vectors titles, gamelists or files that take so much time to load.

See ya
I was seeing 10 second load times after quitting a game, and I think this was due to the number of roms I had (~1000 per system, with about 7 systems). It became too much of a burden to try various games so I ended up reverting back to the old emulation station (where quitting takes ~2 seconds). Hopefully the new version gets some performance tuning b/c it's an otherwise great upgrade.

rbtucker09

Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:02 pm

Hi I have been having fun working with Emulation Station 2.0 the past few weeks. The only thing I haven't been able to do is enable hot keys from my controller to exit an emulator instead of using ESC on the keyboard. I tried using a tutorial for RetroPie but when I go to the config file (the retropie/configs/all config file) after configuring my controller, the values don't show up in the config file but the controller works with the emulators. Anyone know why the controller values wouldn't be showing up in the config file? Or what I need to do to enable hot keys to exit an emulator with the controller? Thanks in advance!

NITROgaming

Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:31 am

Nice to see an update on such a great idea, version 2 looks and feels much better than the version that i was running...(came with retropie project 1.3 i think)...

I was wondering is someone could construct or give me pointers to make the interface resemble that of a ps2,

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/8284/fmcb0000zz0.png

It would be nice to have a gif of the blue circles in the background with a simple text only ui...

Any help is appreciated!!!
Visit my site at www.n2o1gaming.weebly.com to download my music and see some cool projects!

pinion

Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:21 pm

Hi,

could anyone please advise what the permissions need to be for ES to run a new emulator?
I added an emulator and added it to the es_system.cfg and inside of ES it launches as required but I get an access denied from the command line.
I'm launching ES as pi.
Looking at the other systems they are owned by root for file and group, and so I matched the permissions for the new emulator.

When launching the emulator from the command line as pi I am able to run the emulator without issue.

Thank you.

rbtucker09

Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:50 am

Running emulation station as the root user is a little more complicated. Could you change the permissions of the emulator you added to pi? Just out of curiosity, what emulator did you add?

pinion

Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:43 am

Hi RB,

thanks for the reply, I will give that a test and report back.
I added Unreal Spectrum Emulator as binary to the emulators folder, then pointed es_system.cfg with a <command> entry.

Thank you.

zeroclash

Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:52 pm

I have an issue once updating the binaries the text in ES is garbled like this any idea how to fix it.

rbtucker09

Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:38 pm

zeroclash wrote:I have an issue once updating the binaries the text in ES is garbled like this any idea how to fix it.

My first choice would be to try updating binaries again. Have you done a lot of work getting all the config files right so that it would suck to completely load a new image to the card if needed?

zeroclash

Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:35 pm

rbtucker09 wrote:
zeroclash wrote:I have an issue once updating the binaries the text in ES is garbled like this any idea how to fix it.

My first choice would be to try updating binaries again. Have you done a lot of work getting all the config files right so that it would suck to completely load a new image to the card if needed?
Not too much work, I'll give it another shot, thanks

KitchUK

Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:19 pm

rbtucker09 wrote:

Try allocating more RAM to the GPU. Up it to 384MB

Jessie

Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:35 am

Every time I have included a new system (after about 6) I have had to add another 64MB of memory to the GPU to keep it from crashing to the CLI. This might be one of the killer apps out there that require a 512MB Pi.

I didn't get a chance to try this new ES till recently and it is killer. I will be handing out some emulator boxes for Christmas this year I think. I'm surprised at what Aloshi and his artist pulled out on this one. It is real smooth, looks nice, and looks like a consumer device once setup right.

rbtucker09

Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:39 pm

Jessie wrote:Every time I have included a new system (after about 6) I have had to add another 64MB of memory to the GPU to keep it from crashing to the CLI. This might be one of the killer apps out there that require a 512MB Pi.

I didn't get a chance to try this new ES till recently and it is killer. I will be handing out some emulator boxes for Christmas this year I think. I'm surprised at what Aloshi and his artist pulled out on this one. It is real smooth, looks nice, and looks like a consumer device once setup right.
I haven't tried with a 256mb model but I think its safe to say that ES needs the 512mb Pi to run effeciently

lakeuk

Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:38 pm

I'm running retropie 2.3 from the image on my 256Mb Raspberry, emulation station is nice and smooth, I allocate 128Mb to gpu, played snes, nes, megadrive emulators with no issues, on PC Engine only thing I've noticed when playing New Zealand Story is a slight slow down when alot of the enemies are on screen

KitchUK

Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:36 pm

Aloshi/Nils Out of interest, what level of blur do you use (in PS) for the system backgrounds?

Jessie

Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:37 am

Here is my first and only issue with ES 2. The Scraper is real slow. I started it last Wed and it is still going. I'm sure it has more to do with the remote database it connects to, but man is it slow.

Aloshi

Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:59 am

Jessie wrote:Every time I have included a new system (after about 6) I have had to add another 64MB of memory to the GPU to keep it from crashing to the CLI. This might be one of the killer apps out there that require a 512MB Pi.
Heh, yeah, the VRAM usage is kind of insane due to all the vector graphic logos that get rasterized to a texture. A lot of textures are kept in memory all the time to keep browsing fluid.
Jessie wrote:Here is my first and only issue with ES 2. The Scraper is real slow. I started it last Wed and it is still going. I'm sure it has more to do with the remote database it connects to, but man is it slow.
Do you have a big library? There is a known issue with scraping big libraries right now due to the XML format for game metadata. I plan on replacing this with a SQLite database in the near future, which should fix the problem.

nilsbyte

Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:02 pm

KitchUK wrote:Aloshi/Nils Out of interest, what level of blur do you use (in PS) for the system backgrounds?
Hi :) The amount of blur in PS for the backgrounds is 16 px Gaussian blur.

Jessie

Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:32 pm

I staarted getting the garbled text bug from a couple posts up. I was wondering what the fix was and if I would have to re-scrap my whole library.

KitchUK

Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:37 pm

nilsbyte wrote:
KitchUK wrote:Aloshi/Nils Out of interest, what level of blur do you use (in PS) for the system backgrounds?
Hi :) The amount of blur in PS for the backgrounds is 16 px Gaussian blur.
Thank you Nils! :D

KitchUK

Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:42 pm

Jessie wrote:I staarted getting the garbled text bug from a couple posts up. I was wondering what the fix was and if I would have to re-scrap my whole library.
I assumed this was to do with the GPU memory? What's your current allocation to the GPU? The more systems you have displayed with take a chunk out of the GPU RAM.

Return to “Gaming”