papychulo29

Re: RELEASE: EmulationStation 2.0-RC1

Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:58 pm

NEED HELP!!

Im pretty new to this but I have followed every tutorial and I cannot seem to get more than 3 emulators on the main screen. All I see are Apple 2, IBM, and Ports. I dont know how to get snes or any other emulators on there. Thanks for the help.
Btw I am running latest version of RetroPie and have updated everything.

Enverex

Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:46 am

I'm seeing an odd issue. Any spaces in the Publisher, Genre or Developer all show up as two squares (like the unknown character symbol) even though they are standard spaces, here's an example...

Code: Select all

<game>
<path>Z:\Emulation\Games\Nintendo - Gameboy Advance\ATV - Quad Power Racing (USA, Europe).gba</path>
<name>ATV - Quad Power Racing</name>
<desc>Race around closed circuit tracks on a collection of four wheel motorbikes, each with positive and negative features (handling, speed, etc.). Finish each race...
<publisher>Acclaim Entertainment, Inc.</publisher>
<developer>Tantalus Interactive Pty. Ltd.</developer>
<image>Z:\Emulation\Assets\Nintendo_Game_Boy_Advance\Box\ATV - Quad Power Racing (USA, Europe).png</image>
<genre>Racing / Driving, Sports</genre>
<rating>0.7</rating>
<players></players>
</game>
When shown on screen, it would look like "AcclaimEntertainment,Inc." and "TantalusInteractivePty.Ltd."

Any idea what that is? (I'm generating the gamelist.xml myself, but I can't imagine spaces in those fields being an issue. The game name displays fine and the paths work fine too).

Jessie

Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:56 pm

papychulo29 wrote:NEED HELP!!

Im pretty new to this but I have followed every tutorial and I cannot seem to get more than 3 emulators on the main screen. All I see are Apple 2, IBM, and Ports. I dont know how to get snes or any other emulators on there. Thanks for the help.
Btw I am running latest version of RetroPie and have updated everything.
Put appropriate roms in the correct folders and re-boot. ES and Retropie will do the rest. Also, unlike the PC many of the R Pi emulators do not accept zipped roms (*.zip) they must be unzipped this has hung me up and several users in the past.

spannernick

Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:48 am

Hi..I use this with Retropie and I have one question..

Is there a way of downloading box cover images for the UK not US,Live in the UK and the Sega CD is called the Mega CD here,so I would to add the UK box covers for the Mega Drive and Mega CD,There is a site where you can get them from..

http://www.sega-mega-cd-library.co.uk/index1.html

How would I go about changing the images..??

joecrow

Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:52 am

Are there any plans to release emulationstation on android? I think it will be great from set top boxes running android. Is there a guide to compile emulationstation for android?

Great program!

expandables

Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:07 pm

How to change list selector size? For example the Width.
By thinking like an engineer you can create a raspberry pi.
Michael Jackson enthusiast.
I got the PI model B, B+ and PI 2 model B.
When will I get the A? I don't know.

Aloshi

Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:37 pm

Enverex wrote:I'm seeing an odd issue. Any spaces in the Publisher, Genre or Developer all show up as two squares (like the unknown character symbol) even though they are standard spaces, here's an example...

<game>
<developer>Tantalus Interactive Pty. Ltd.</developer>
</game>
When shown on screen, it would look like "AcclaimEntertainment,Inc." and "TantalusInteractivePty.Ltd."

Any idea what that is? (I'm generating the gamelist.xml myself, but I can't imagine spaces in those fields being an issue. The game name displays fine and the paths work fine too).
I'm guessing there are Unicode "TM" or "(R)" symbols that are beyond the standard ASCII range or something similar. The UTF8 build (which is now ready for use, as far as I can tell) might fix this.
joecrow wrote:Are there any plans to release emulationstation on android? I think it will be great from set top boxes running android. Is there a guide to compile emulationstation for android?

Great program!
This is something I'd love to do if I had the time, but I unfortunately don't. SDL2 works on Android as far as I know. The relevant Boost libraries need Android versions though. I'm not sure which exist; I'd need filesystem, date-time, and potentially locale off the top of my head.

Regarding the database rewrite, I plan to do it this Thanksgiving break. I'll be at home and hopefully free of distractions. :)

Enverex

Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:46 pm

Aloshi wrote:I'm guessing there are Unicode "TM" or "(R)" symbols that are beyond the standard ASCII range or something similar. The UTF8 build (which is now ready for use, as far as I can tell) might fix this.
It doesn't appear to be non-ASCII characters (at least not visible ones) as it displays as "Tantalus Interactive Pty. Ltd." in my database and as "Tantalus Interactive Pty. Ltd." when opened in a text editor. It only shows as "TantalusInteractivePty.Ltd." within the Emulation Station interface, which is weird.

Here's the output from the database directly, as you can see, they just appear to be standard spaces.

Possibly some sort of weird non-ASCII single character space?

Aloshi

Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:21 pm

Inspecting the HTML output from that page, the spaces are actually written as "&nbsp;". They copy as normal spaces for me, but maybe your parser is doing something different. You can try opening the gamelist.xml with a hex editor and check that they're being output as the proper single 0x20 value.

Enverex

Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:31 pm

You're right, they were unicode "xA0" spaces but for some reason preg_replace -isn't- getting rid of them (which is why I didn't think they should have been there in the first place). At least I know what it is now so I can fix it. Thanks Aloshi.

snowboard0277

Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:53 pm

I am working on installing the stand alone and got stuck at the end of this section

Compile and install EmulationStation

git clone https://github.com/Aloshi/EmulationStation
cd EmulationStation
git checkout unstable
cmake -D CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER=g++-4.7 .
make

the "make" give me this message "make: **** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop." Any ideas on this?

Aloshi

Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:17 am

It sounds like CMake failed to create its Makefile, are you sure that you didn't miss any errors from CMake?

expandables

Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:19 am

Aloshi did u read my pm buddy? :?
By thinking like an engineer you can create a raspberry pi.
Michael Jackson enthusiast.
I got the PI model B, B+ and PI 2 model B.
When will I get the A? I don't know.

nitrofurano

Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:43 pm

and where from can we find more themes, or create our own?

nitrofurano

Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:03 pm

( and for starters, interesting if there would be a ready package, like for retropie, with floss-homebrew games, like from Mojón Twins, Retroworks, Bob’s Stuff, etc. - so people can start playing without being concerned with eventual licensing restrictions that might involve classic titles! ;) )

DigitalLumberjack

Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:29 pm

Hi,

You can create your theme easily by taking existing themes and modify background image, svg logo and so one.
Aloshi made a very comprehensive theme system in xml. Read the https://github.com/Aloshi/EmulationStat ... /THEMES.md for more info.

nitrofurano

Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:14 pm

thanks.... - btw i also tried to make a ZX81 entry based on ZX-Spectrum (into the Simple theme), but that is not working at all... :S

DigitalLumberjack

Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:29 pm

Here is the process :
-Copy a system theme (here for example zxspectrum)
- Change the name of the folder to zx81
- Now open theme.xml and check the path tags (one is the bg in jpg, the other is the logo in svg). You can let the path to thoses values.
- Go in the art directory, change the images corresponding to the xml path. if you need open source editors : gimp for the jpg or png edition, inkscape for the svg edition (dont forget to vectorize all texts)
- Reopen the theme.xml, it's time to change texts :
you can use the theme organisation as is, and juste change system_name_X -> texts ("Sinclair" and "ZX Spectrum") here.

Save. You have your new theme.
Now edit es_systems.xml and add a system :

<system>
        <fullname>ZX 81</fullname>
        <name>zx81</name>
        <path>your path to roms</path>
        <extension>wut is the extension of thisodd system</extension>
       	<command>theemulator %ROM%</command>
        <platform>sadly it's not in es platforms but let zxspecturm</platform>
        <theme>zx81</theme>
    </system>
The platform id is required for scrapping, but thegamedb.net doesn't have zx81 platforms in it"s database, so it's ok if you let zxspectrum.
The <theme>zx81</theme> is the name of the directory of the new theme.

Good luck.

nitrofurano

Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:16 pm

i found the problem, i mistyped zx81 (theme name) with sz81 (the emulator i was using for the test) - that was weird why sg1000 worked and zx81 didn’t! :D

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/795 ... sg1000.zip

thanks! :)

nitrofurano

Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:04 pm

btw, about the theme, i can't find where can we change that opensans-condensed from the menus (and other places) with another typeface - what i tried only affected the machine title and the games list

Aloshi

Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:52 pm

You can't change the menu fonts through themes.

One way to do so is to replace the .ttf files in "data/resources/", run "data/generate.sh" (note your CWD must be the "data" directory for this script to work and you must have res2h installed), then recompile ES.

Another way (that doesn't compile the .ttf files into the executable) is to edit es-core/src/resources/Font.h and change the lines

#define FONT_PATH_LIGHT ":/opensans_hebrew_condensed_light.ttf"
#define FONT_PATH_REGULAR ":/opensans_hebrew_condensed_regular.ttf"
to point somewhere else. Note that paths should be absolute, otherwise they are relative to the CWD of the executable when run. You should get rid of the leading ":", as that is used to specify embedded files.

nitrofurano

Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:48 pm

thanks anyway... (compiling sources is quite toilsome task for me - and even if i was comfortable enough on compiling sources, having to compile hundreds of times for testing typefaces feels very restrictive... :S (i enjoy designing typefaces) ) - btw, would be really great if we could have this option on choosing fonts from themes in a next version... how difficult would be adding this? thanks again!

Toontje

Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:16 pm

Can i post an issue here? Ok, here we go:

RetroPie latest version.
All working find although i still have to check out all platforms.

Here is my problem. I loaded up roms for the most common platforms, but some of them don't show up. All systems are in es_systems.cfg, but some systems don't show up. Even if i have roms in the correct folder.

How to troubleshoot?

Thanks for a great piece of software!

Ton.

Aloshi

Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:59 pm

Do the ROM extensions match what's in es_systems.cfg?

Toontje

Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:11 pm

Aloshi wrote:Do the ROM extensions match what's in es_systems.cfg?
Now yes. I checked the scanned extensions with the extensions configured in es_systems.cfg and now all is working.

Two more issues:
- I added a bunch of roms and changed the splash screen. Now my characters in the menus are scrambled. One of two things: splashscreen? Looks unlikely. Short on GPU memory? Might be. What is a good setting? In my Pi gpu_mem=256.
- Downloaded the windows version of emulationstation and am trying to install it on XP. Installation goes fine, but when i want to start ES i get the message that it's not a valid Win32 application.

Any ideas?

Return to “Gaming”